The Random Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
    What are your favorite words to sprinkle in your stories? Random question.
    Random question? How about some random words?

http://www.savethewords.org/ (the site takes a minute to load)

For the novel I am currently slogging over...er, working on...I've adopted prandicle and agonyclite, meaning small meal and religious types who stand rather than kneeling, respectively.

As for favourite words, do the ones I keep having to edit out due to overuse count?

KT

Comment

I found another word to adopt. Sorry, it's mine now.

Morsicant producing the sensation of repeated biting or pricking

Comment

That is a very cool website.
        Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Sheesh-my editor digs me for using words like distended and hazing-says people won't know what they mean. Morsicant-they would die!
          http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

I got ripped for using the word "swooned"

MLD

Comment

Gosh, I want me one of them "editor" doo hickies.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
                Gosh, I want me one of them "editor" doo hickies.
                LOL-I'm fortunate, my friend went to school for it then decided to be a stay at home Mom, so she plays my second set of eyes, then there's the editors at the publisher.

Comment

I could use about a six pack of them "publisher" doo dads as well, Cee Dub!

Comment

I read an essay in the Writer's Handbook one year; and I'm pretty sure it was by Stephen King. He was talking about getting through your first draft and just plowing ahead with the story without worrying about checking reference materials. (i.e. if you don't know the capital of Paraguay? Just write Cleveland and fix it later). He mentioned not pulling down the thesaurus, in fact throw your thesaurus away! If you don't know the word already, then don't use it. That said, I wrote a story once (as an experiment) using the most high-falutin' (not looking up a better word right now) language I could. I wore out the Free Dictionary website, so as to avoid even repeating common words in the story. I re-read it recently, considering trying to cut it down for the Sharing Your Work thread, and found a few lines that I didn't understand anymore. KISS, as I'm sure Caren's editor would agree.
                    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
                      I could use about a six pack of them "publisher" doo dads as well, Cee Dub!
                      I hear ya! My stories for the anthology go through about 5-7 edits and rewrites before they are finished. It's exhausting and exhilirating at the same time!

Comment

Terry, I think he mentioned that in On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.

EDIT - the rest I've removed based on misreading the post, just as the little part of my brain should be removed that misreads posts.
                        Last edited by Craig Wallwork; 06-21-2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Well, my beloved says that if I don't get something published this year she's going to start lighting the wood stove with my little darlings so... I must find a good home for these horphans ( ooh, I just made that up.) Horror orphans. There might be something workable there... hummmmmph

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                            I read an essay in the Writer's Handbook one year; and I'm pretty sure it was by Stephen King. He was talking about getting through your first draft and just plowing ahead with the story without worrying about checking reference materials. (i.e. if you don't know the capital of Paraguay? Just write Cleveland and fix it later). He mentioned not pulling down the thesaurus, in fact throw your thesaurus away! If you don't know the word already, then don't use it. That said, I wrote a story once (as an experiment) using the most high-falutin' (not looking up a better word right now) language I could. I wore out the Free Dictionary website, so as to avoid even repeating common words in the story. I re-read it recently, considering trying to cut it down for the Sharing Your Work thread, and found a few lines that I didn't understand anymore. KISS, as I'm sure Caren's editor would agree.
                            I totally get not using too many fifty-cent words, but when I feel that the word is valid and we aren't giving the reader credit, then I get ornery about it. There is a fine line between keeping it real and dumbing it down. I also wasn't ripping on my editors-they rock out loud!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Wallwork View Post
                              I tend to draw a lot from the Internet. Most of my stories lean toward fact, or medical anomalies, so it's difficult not to reference. Though, I love it when i can just write a story using my own knowledge and nothing more. Shame i don't know that much.
                              Research and reference are fine, but the point he was making was to not alter the flow of your work to stop and look up something. All that stuff should be done before you start for the day, or after that day's draft. And my point was that I agree with avoiding the thesaurus.
                              "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Sorry. Edited.

Comment

Working...
                                X