Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[INDEXED]The Passage

Author: Justin Cronin
    Artist: Tomislav Tikulin (cover) and Jill Bauman (interiors)
    Pub. Date: December 31, 2010
    ISBN: 978-1-58767-231-6

The Passage
    by Justin Cronin

Update for Collectors:
    The signed editions sold out within FOUR hours of being officially announced and we shut down the Waiting List after nearly 500 people signed up.

About the Book:
    "It happened fast. Thirty-two minutes for one world to die, another to be born."

First, the unthinkable: a security breach at a secret U.S. government facility unleashes the monstrous product of a chilling military experiment. Then, the unspeakable: a night of chaos and carnage gives way to sunrise on a nation, and ultimately a world, forever altered. All that remains for the stunned survivors is the long fight ahead and a future ruled by fear—of darkness, of death, of a fate far worse.

As civilization swiftly crumbles into a primal landscape of predators and prey, two people flee in search of sanctuary. FBI agent Brad Wolgast is a good man haunted by what he's done in the line of duty. Six-year-old orphan Amy Harper Bellafonte is a refugee from the doomed scientific project that has triggered the apocalypse. He is determined to protect her from the horror set loose by her captors. But for Amy, escaping the bloody fallout is only the beginning of a much longer odyssey—spanning miles and decades—towards the time and place where she must finish what should never have begun.

With The Passage, award-winning author Justin Cronin has written both a relentlessly suspenseful adventure and an epic chronicle of human endurance in the face of unprecedented catastrophe and unimaginable danger. Its inventive storytelling, masterful prose, and depth of human insight mark it as a crucial and transcendent work of modern fiction.

Note from the Publisher:
    In January, The Wall Street Journal named The Passage by Justin Cronin as one of the top books that'll be published this year, and the writing has been compared to the works of Stephen King, Michael Crichton, and Margaret Atwood, among others. In fact, Stephen King was so impressed with the novel that he mentioned it in his Best Books of 2009 column in Entertainment Weekly even though it wasn't even published yet: "One that doesn't appear here is Justin Cronin's forthcoming novel, The Passage. This epic vampire novel won't be out until summer 2010, but you'll want to mark your calendar. Take it from Uncle Stevie, this is your basic don't-miss reading experience."

Special Features Exclusive to this Collector's Edition:
    • epic cover artwork by Tomislav Tikulin
    • color and black & white interior artwork by Jill Bauman
    • special afterword by the author detailing why he wrote the book
    • incredible photo gallery of research trips the author took for the book (including notes from the author discussing his inspiration for key scenes)
    • map of a key location hand drawn by the author
    • deluxe oversized design
    • extremely collectible print run that is a tiny fraction of the hundreds of thousands of copies of the edition you'll see in bookstores — and you will NOT see our edition in chain bookstores!

Published in two states:
    Deluxe Oversized Hardcover Limited Edition of 948 signed and hand-numbered copies bound in full-cloth and Smyth sewn with a satin ribbon page marker and featuring a full-color signature sheet ($75)
    Deluxe Traycased Hardcover Lettered Edition of 52 signed and hand-lettered copies bound in leather and Smyth sewn with a satin ribbon page marker and a full-color signature sheet ($500)
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Loved this story and I have limited edition. It is a very nice production.

When the next book in the series is released, I hope CD gets the nod (if you don't have it already) to produce the limited edition. Also I hope you make the slipcase standard issue with the book. These are too nice not to be protected.

Comment

I have the limited edition as well.
      The only problem is having to wait for the series to continue and finish.
      My memory is not what it used to be and I have decided not to start reading a series of books before the whole thing is finished.
      Like the George Martin A Song of Ice and Fire series; I bought A Game of Thrones in 1996 and part 5 will be out this summer.
      Big sigh.....

sk

Comment

I agree with the suggestion for slipcases. I would be willing to pay more for a slipcase.
        -Chris Lason-

nerd alert
        gamertag : calason

Comment

I was recently able to pick up a copy of this book. Haven't begun reading it yet but I love the writers story about how the book came about and the photo's at the back. I am looking forward to reading it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by calason View Post
            I agree with the suggestion for slipcases. I would be willing to pay more for a slipcase.
            As would I.
            Not only does it offer protection, but these slipcases sure look good!

sk

Comment

I would love to see slipcases like those made for Simon Clark's books with the title on the spine of the slipcase!! Or was it the side?? Either way, I likee the book title on the actual slipcase.

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                I have the limited edition as well.
                The only problem is having to wait for the series to continue and finish.
                My memory is not what it used to be and I have decided not to start reading a series of books before the whole thing is finished.
                Like the George Martin A Song of Ice and Fire series; I bought A Game of Thrones in 1996 and part 5 will be out this summer.
                Big sigh.....

sk
                I have the first story in a trade. I missed out on the CD S/L. I agree that it is tough to wait, but I I suppose I'll just have to reread the first book when the second comes out...and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Flagg View Post
                  I agree that it is tough to wait, but I I suppose I'll just have to reread the first book when the second comes out...and so on.
                  That's how I read the first four Dark Tower books.
                  The final three I put aside unread and once book 7 came out, I read the whole series straight through.

sk

Comment

I bought the book and was in no hurry to read it for the same - because it was the first in an unfinished series. But Ralph Mulleins talked it up so much, I had to dig in. I'm glad I did.

Comment

I missed out on the original sale of this limted edition, so I bought the trade hardcover. After reading it, I jumped at the opportunity for a remarqued edition from artisit Jill Bauman. I will definitely be looking to get the second and third installments if offered by CD.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

This is a great production, particularly like the pictures at the end. I have not actually read it yet, but am sure I will get to it before too long as I don't think I'll be able to wait for the next books to come out before starting it. It's just a matter of which copy do I read, as I have a regular trade 1st edition, another 1st with a signed bookplate (which I won't read and may just sell it before too much longer), and this CD special edition. I'm not worried about damaging the book as I am careful with my books so I might go with the special edition so I can enjoy the art while reading this one
                        WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                        Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                          It's just a matter of which copy do I read, as I have a regular trade 1st edition, another 1st with a signed bookplate (which I won't read and may just sell it before too much longer), and this CD special edition.
                          I would start with the CD edition. Read the first section. Beautiful words deserve a beautiful edition; some of the best writing I've read in a long time. Then switch to the trade hardcover edition because the rest of the book can be frustrating-- episodic, less original, less interesting characters; That way, you can toss the book aside w/o thinking about it. Still, it is a book worth wading thru. Good luck.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I just received the email this morning about the artist-signed and numbered dustjacket art project. I ordered it immediately, it's a beautiful piece.

Comment

I have a questions for you guys. I wasn't able to get this book (I didn't even know it was being published), but once I saw how it sold out so quickly, I was looking around for the HC. I saw it at Camelot for $150!! Then I saw it at Overlook for about $29 and I bought it. The only problem is that it's a Trade PB, but it is a First ed. and it's flatsigned also. Is it worth anything??

Comment

Working...
                              X