No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to read the unabridged The Count of Monte Cristo. Just over 300 pages in and have been enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
      Thanks Teri. Applied to a few places already so hopefully I'll have something lined up soon.
      Maritect is hiring, come join me so I won't have to work any more 12hr shifts or come in on my days off. lol. You'd make more money at Mcdonalds though. haha.

Comment

I have thought of quitting and working at McD's.I wonder if they hire vegiterians?Tonight I will start The Killing Kind by Brian Smith.This is one from my TBR pile that I am finally just saying time to read.I have a couple of old pb's of short stories that are packed for the camping trip.Did I mention 4 work days left till it is time to finish getting ready.

Comment

I'd sooooooo go work at McDonalds if I was capable of standing for 8hrs and could take the heat, Literally. They really do make more than I do, I am not joking. It may be min wage but they get lots of hours.

Comment

I'm getting no where fast in IT. It's me this time(again), not the book. I'm too distracted.

Comment

I got F. Paul Wilson's Cold City from Gauntlet Press yesterday, and I'm 87 pages in. It's the first book of a trilogy about Repairman Jack's early days, and I like it a lot.

I'm also reading Ben Elton's High Society, Apparition by Michaelbrent Collings and John Scalzi's 24 Frames into the Future.

Comment

Love the repairman Jack books. 80 pages to go in The killing Kind.This is another awesome book.I have been on quite a good streak with reading lately.This is highly recomended.If you like Lymon you will like this.Super so far.Roxie is one of my new favorite characters of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Teriw View Post
                  Maritect is hiring, come join me so I won't have to work any more 12hr shifts or come in on my days off. lol. You'd make more money at Mcdonalds though. haha.
                  And I'd probably make more than I do now as well

Actually going in for a talk tomorrow. Well, not a talk yet, 4 hours of stupid excel tests, group tasks, and analytical math stuff, and an english test. Most of that stuff I don't even need for the job I applied for, but I still have to take it anyway. Haven't used excel in years and math and I don't get along too well.

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                    And I'd probably make more than I do now as well

Actually going in for a talk tomorrow. Well, not a talk yet, 4 hours of stupid excel tests, group tasks, and analytical math stuff, and an english test. Most of that stuff I don't even need for the job I applied for, but I still have to take it anyway. Haven't used excel in years and math and I don't get along too well.
                    Good luck, Pete! Don't you just love those stupid tests? When I applied for my current job they interviewed me by conference call...5 people on the phone for an hour. They asked me if I knew FORTRAN, and when I said no, they said "Oh, that's ok, nobody knows it when they get here...we'll train you!". Now that's the kind of attitude I like

Comment

FORTRAN, I'd tell em it sounds like 4chan...

Thanks Dave! Gonna go watch some excel tutorials and then find something relaxing to do before I head to bed.

Comment

Excel Formulas are my enemy. The Basics are great. a2+b2 shit like that but go much further and I havent got a clue. Prob cuz I was in high school when I took it. Does anyone remember high school? I dont and I'm only 26..lol

Comment

"Nobody's Fool" by Richard Russo. Haven't read a book of this type in quite a while, so it's a nice change. Quite humorous but not in a jokey way. I recently found out it's my best friend's favorite book (how did I not know that until now?) so that endorsement was good enough for me. Of course, he also said I remind him of the main character, so partly I'm reading it just to attempt to figure out why.

Comment

Originally posted by Xiabei View Post
                            "Nobody's Fool" by Richard Russo. Haven't read a book of this type in quite a while, so it's a nice change. Quite humorous but not in a jokey way. I recently found out it's my best friend's favorite book (how did I not know that until now?) so that endorsement was good enough for me. Of course, he also said I remind him of the main character, so partly I'm reading it just to attempt to figure out why.
                            I read that years ago and ended up buying all his books (whatever was in print at the time.) A great author, for sure. I know at least one of his books (maybe Nobody's Fool) has been adapted for either TV or the big screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                              I read that years ago and ended up buying all his books (whatever was in print at the time.) A great author, for sure. I know at least one of his books (maybe Nobody's Fool) has been adapted for either TV or the big screen.
                              Yea, they made "Nobody's Fool" into a movie (I only know that because the cover of the copy I borrowed has Paul Newman on the cover).

I read "Straight Man" years ago and really enjoyed it. I'm not often in the mood for "human condition" type stories, but at least he does them with a nod to the absurdity of being human.

Comment

Not doing too much reading at the moment, as I'm enjoying a great couple of weeks in Norway.
                                Can't believe how much this looks like British Columbia:
                                gorgeous country.

sk

Comment

Working...
                                X