Page 91 of 216 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 4313

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    The Terror is a must read and it must be read in the dead of winter when the days are short and the nights are long. Super book.
    I agree as well. I also enjoyed Drood and Flashback.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    Any of the Simmons readers jump into the Hyperion books at all? I am debating on where to start with him. Stuff like The Terror or Winter Haunting (I think), or even Song of Kali sound like terrific reads, and more along the lines of what I am into, however....Hyperion (and the few sequels of the series) sound equaling captivating, but more on the sci-fi lines.

Senior Member Inmate Neiaushie79's Avatar
    I'm currently reading The Ax by Donald Westlake. With the way our current economy is going, this story could very well end becoming a reality. This is the 3rd time I've read it, it's so good.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    I started reading Hyperion a looong time ago and never finished it, though I've been meaning to check it out again. The Terror and Song of Kali have been on my TBR list forever; I'm hoping to get to at least one this year! Just a head's up: A Winter Haunting is a sequel to Summer of Night. I read them out of order myself and regretted it since a lot of the impact of A Winter Haunting is built on your knowledge of what came before. Besides that, anything by Simmons is good and I recommend his work enthusiastically.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    Any of the Simmons readers jump into the Hyperion books at all? I am debating on where to start with him. Stuff like The Terror or Winter Haunting (I think), or even Song of Kali sound like terrific reads, and more along the lines of what I am into, however....Hyperion (and the few sequels of the series) sound equaling captivating, but more on the sci-fi lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Neiaushie79 View Post
    I'm currently reading The Ax by Donald Westlake. With the way our current economy is going, this story could very well end becoming a reality. This is the 3rd time I've read it, it's so good.
    Oh man, I loved The Ax! Such a great book. Just thinking about it makes me want to dust off my copy and team it up with A Simple Plan for a double-feature of normally good people doing really bad things!

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Dan Simmons' Summer of Night is outstanding too. There was a sequel, I think it was called Winter Haunting, which was good, but not great.
    Just found this after posting my other statement with the same info! Sorry for the waste of a post! That's what I get for not getting caught up on the thread before posting!

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    A Higher Call by Adam Makos was a great story, but the prose was high school newspaper quality, which was too bad. Had a terrific photo album insert.

A video of the reunion of Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown is on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8EkmyoG83Q

Next I'll be going on a Beer Run of the Dead with author D.F. Noble
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. Looove it. Halfway through, should finish it tomorrow.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Fever Dream by Pendergast/Child. #10 of 12. It would seem I have hooked on these like some kind of crack monkey.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    The edge of a valley in the middle of a desert.
    They are great books.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TJCams's Avatar
    I am in the home stretch (finally) of The Bourne Identity. Some parts are exciting, some not. The next read is a tough one, do I do Off Season, or Painted Darkness!??!?!?!

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Beer Run of the Dead was an entertaining timewaster. Great lowbrow premise, sloppy prose. Several laugh-out-loud moments.

The Girl on the Glider by Brian Keene is next. Will be my first Keene.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Started reading my ARC of The Burning Time, mostly good so far. A little repetitive in parts and unbelievable in a part or two, but good so far. Hopefully I won't keep having the story pull me away from concentrating on the story.
    WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
    Spoiler!

Senior Member Inmate
    Quote Originally Posted by TJCams View Post
    I am in the home stretch (finally) of The Bourne Identity. Some parts are exciting, some not. The next read is a tough one, do I do Off Season, or Painted Darkness!??!?!?!
    Painted Darkness. It's a quick read, you'll finish it in a day or 2. Then do Off Season followed immediately by Offspring.

Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    The Girl on the Glider by Brian Keene is next. Will be my first Keene.
    Hope you enjoy it! That was my first book by him as well, and it is definitely not like most of his work. Most of what is in that one is true. Same goes for Sundancing, though if you want to read Sundancing (Which I highly recommend) you'll have to get it on the secondary market as it will never be in paperback or eBook, just the edition from the last Maelstrom set from Thunderstorm Books.

Earthworm Gods is a great read as well, along with the sequel.
    Spoiler!

I wasn't really liking Girl on the Glider until the last 10-15 pages. It came off as an exercise in self-pity that didn't register with me. However, Keene rescued his story in the last few pages and turned an uninteresting story into a winner. So kudos to him for that. But I hope all his books aren't like that.

Going to re-read Delores Claiborne. Of all King's novels, I remember the least about this one.
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    You should include Gerald's Game, Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game should be read together.
    I wasn't really liking Girl on the Glider until the last 10-15 pages. It came off as an exercise in self-pity that didn't register with me. However, Keene rescued his story in the last few pages and turned an uninteresting story into a winner. So kudos to him for that. But I hope all his books aren't like that.

Going to re-read Delores Claiborne. Of all King's novels, I remember the least about this one.

Reread it last year, one of my favorites that is just south of my top 10 Kings.
    "I'm a vegan. "

There might be some self-pity in it, but it was all understandable with everything he went through. He basically wasn't paid what was promised him for a long time. I didn't personally find it full of self-pity when I read it, but I can see how someone could. Sundancing is similar in that is meta-fictional, but is about something else.

The Cage, Earthworm Gods (The Conqueror Worms when released by Leisure) and it's sequel, and Entombed are also all great, and definitely not like Girl on a Glider. I'd recommend other ones, but have not yet read any others. I plan to correct that error this year though as I have loved everything of his I've read.
    Spoiler!

Hmm, just picked up some library books and can't decide what to start first:

"The Information" - James Gleick
    "Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman" - James Gleick
    "A Working Theory of Love" - Scott Hutchins
    "Cyber Crime" - a bunch of articles in the "Opposing Viewpoints" series
    The Idiot's Guide to Conversational Japanese

(I'll decide later. Now I'm off to find out if the woman wants to get movies tonight or if I'm free to drink beer and play games...)