Page 9 of 216 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    I hope the other 2 Bachman Books are as good!
    I think you read the best of the four.
    Roadwork I barely remember, same for The Running Man.
    You should have read them in a different order, Tom.

sk
    Last edited by frik51; 07-14-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tito_Villa's Avatar
    That's the order they are in the Bachman Books

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TerryE's Avatar
    Finished 'The Long Walk' earlier and i really liked the book, but i also wanted more, what happened to the main character at the end arghhhh!
    Tito, I just finished listening today. What happened at the end?! Who do you think the Dark Figure he went running to was? I didn't realize it the first time I read the book, but it's an alternate history story, not just a near future dystopia. King mentions German air attacks on the US east coast at the end of WWII, and another quick mention of an attack on a German nuclear facility in Santiago in 1953. It's strange that if he was going for the alternate history he didn't make it even more clear. Maybe we can just chalk it up to being a very inexperienced novelist (I think he wrote this just before or after 'Salem's Lot), or the editors cut a lot of that out. We've been talking about POV, and King did a great job of limiting the POV to Garrity, but it kind of gives away the end, don't you think?
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

The ending for me was a suprise, it seemed rushed as if King lost interest in the story and wanted to end it. A shame but i still enjoyed it all the same.

No idea who the dark figure was and i was hoping all the way through the book that he would give more history of the walk and the world which gave birth to the suicidal test of endurance!

Hey Tito. How about this idea:

Spoiler!

My biggest question was who exactly The Major was? I'm guessing he was our "president for life", but that was another unanswered question. I kinda liked how he threw us into that world without finding the need to explain everything. You mentioned that you read Rage. Do you have an old edition, or is that still in print in England? King removed it from publication here in the US after the Columbine massacre and lately the Bachman books have only been reissued as stand alone paperbacks.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

I'm reading them in 'The Bachman Books' where there is the introduction of 'why i was Bachman' by Stephen King, then rage, the long walk, roadwork & the running man.

Interesting though Terry, something i have though about is
    Spoiler!

I'm reading them in 'The Bachman Books' where there is the introduction of 'why i was Bachman' by Stephen King, then rage, the long walk, roadwork & the running man.

Spoiler!
    Yeah, I agree with you. That is what I thought when I read it.
    "I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later."- Mitch Hedberg

Spoiler!
    Yeah, that's the book that I have, but it's been out of print for quite a while. That's why I was wondering if you had an older edition or if it's still in print overseas. You have an interesting idea about Garrity, but that's not how I saw it. One of the wonderful things about an ambiguous ending.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Starting The Drawing of the Three.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    It's ok. I think I know where Koontz is going with this book and that's not a good sign, as usually I'm way behind the author.
    Oh well, it has been years since I read a Koontz novel, I'm sure I'll finish it.

sk
    About 40 pages to go....And here I was thinking to be ahead of Koontz. NOT!!!
    The book is very good, one of the better Koontz's I've read.
    I'll finish it tonight.

sk

Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    Final word on Watchers:

A good story, but too many wasted opportunities. All style and very little substance.

Spoiler!

And I don't care for books where the author rushes the ending as Koontz did.

If I had picked up a Koontz book in high school and read it, I might feel differently today.
    My mistake!
    I was referring to Strangers when we were talking about this book, not Watchers.
    I can't even remember having read the latter, but Strangers is very, very good.
    If you haven't read it yet, do give it a try!

sk

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    My mistake!
    I was referring to Strangers when we were talking about this book, not Watchers.
    I can't even remember having read the latter, but Strangers is very, very good.
    If you haven't read it yet, do give it a try!

sk
    We'll see...Right now, I'm questing with Roland thru the DT series again. Finished The Drawing of the Three--the really good ones makes you forget time and just plunge onward. I think i started it less than 2 days ago.

Into the The Wastelands.......
    "I'm a vegan. "

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Reading Erikson's Dust of Dreams

Finished 'The Bachman books' last night with 'Running Man' which ireally liked. Now onto 'The Lair' by James Herbert.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Having finished Turtle Boy am now half way through The Hides. I came to these books via this forum and am extremely grateful I did. Great stories told with excellent writing. And there are more in the series!

Junior Member Visitor
    Just finished: HEAVEN'S SHADOW by David S. Goyer & Michael Cassutt
    Currently reading: ASHES, ASHES by Jo Treggiari
    Next up: Either THE ASTOUNDING, THE AMAZING AND THE UNKNOWN by Paul Malmont or KILLER MOVE by Michael Marshall

I finished The Best of Joe R Lansdale from the last post, then Stephen King: The Non-Fiction, and finished with The Colorado Kid by Stephen King.

I had read The Colorado Kid when it came out but gave it another read after watching the Haven marathon on Syfy.
    Last edited by cdfan; 07-22-2011 at 03:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by cdfan View Post
    I finished The Best of Joe R Lansdale from the last post, then Stephen King: The Non-Fiction, and finished with The Colorado Kid by Stephen King.

I had read The Colrado Kid when it came out but gave it another read after watching the Haven marathon on Syfy.
    Thoughts on 'The Colorado Kid' ???

Thoughts on 'The Colorado Kid' ???
    First time I read it I didn't really care for it but reading through this time something just clicked and I found it rather enjoyable. I'm glad I gave it a second read.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by cdfan View Post
    First time I read it I didn't really care for it but reading through this time something just clicked and I found it rather enjoyable. I'm glad I gave it a second read.

Spoiler!
    I found the story very enjoyable as well.

Made it thru The Wastelands. The story still seems to loses steam after Jake's rebirth into Mid-World.

Onto Wizard and Glass...
    "I'm a vegan. "