No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I’m a huge Joe Abercrombie and I get that we all have to pay bills, but The Sharp Ends: Stories from the World of the First Law, feels like a buffet of bad hors d'oeuvres when I was looking for a main course. A couple of the stories were pretty good, but overall didn’t satisfy my appetite for Joe Abercrombie. Can’t recommend it, even for die hard fans. Sort of feels like I got the Sharp End and I bet he meant it that way lol!!

Comment

Just finished my first Lansdale novel; Cold in July. I quite liked it. The prose didn't grab me at first, but the fast paced story did, then the more I read the more I liked the style too. A very satisfying read overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
        Just finished my first Lansdale novel; Cold in July. I quite liked it. The prose didn't grab me at first, but the fast paced story did, then the more I read the more I liked the style too. A very satisfying read overall.
        I am a Lansdale fan myself!

Comment

I just finished a slightly over a week long binge of the Harry Potter audio books. This is the first time since the last book came out 9 years ago that I have been over the books. I forgot how drastically different the books are from the movies. Having watched all the movies before I started my binge was put it in stark contrast. The movies left me wanting only just enough more to listen to the audio books. The books on the other hand left me wanting more, left me sad that I had finished them. I am a huge fan of fantasy stories and none have left me wanting more as much as Harry Potter. Having read / listened to them just now reminds my why I read the 4th book in a single sitting on the day it came out. I encourage anyone who hasn't ready the Harry Potter books to do so, or listen to the audio books (which are very good), you will not regret it. I promise.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Wow, the whole 4th book in one sitting. That would need to be a very long sitting for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              I just finished a slightly over a week long binge of the Harry Potter audio books. This is the first time since the last book came out 9 years ago that I have been over the books. I forgot how drastically different the books are from the movies. Having watched all the movies before I started my binge was put it in stark contrast. The movies left me wanting only just enough more to listen to the audio books. The books on the other hand left me wanting more, left me sad that I had finished them. I am a huge fan of fantasy stories and none have left me wanting more as much as Harry Potter. Having read / listened to them just now reminds my why I read the 4th book in a single sitting on the day it came out. I encourage anyone who hasn't ready the Harry Potter books to do so, or listen to the audio books (which are very good), you will not regret it. I promise.
              Those are really classic reads. I like the audio book idea. I may have to see if my library has them.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                Those are really classic reads. I like the audio book idea. I may have to see if my library has them.
                The audio books where pretty good. Not as high of a production value as the Star Wars audio books (almost nothing is) but very good none the less.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Just finished the Wayward Pines trilogy by Blake Crouch. 9/10. Highly recommend.

Comment

I have completed my Epic Shannara Quest! Twenty-nine books since January. (There are still three short stories that are only in e-book form I need to read, but I can't stand reading books on a computer, so I'll worry about those later).

Overall, the experience was very enjoyable (makes me wish I had read the books as they had been published).

My favorite series was The High Druid of Shannara. My favorite Shannara book was Antrax.

My least favorite series was The Defenders of Shannara. My least favorite book is a toss-up between Ilse Witch, The High Druid's Blade and The Sorcerer’s Daughter. As time goes on, these three may separate for me, but for now I can't decide.

Here is my completed GR shelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/lis...shannara-quest

If there is anybody out there reading this who perhaps plans on reading the Shannara series in it's entirety, I would recommend reading them in the order published rather than chronological order, as I did. The reasoning is twofold: 1) you get a better sense of Brooks' development as a writer and 2) Brooks developed Shannara in the order of publication.

I'm looking forward to the next trilogy, which Brooks has said would be the conclusion to the Shannara saga .

Started The Three Musketeers.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Wow, congrats! That's a heck of a feat! I've read 6 of the books but none of the ones you list as favorites, stopping with Elf Queen back in the day.

It's good to know they get even better.
                      Last edited by bugen; 07-12-2016, 05:19 AM.
                      “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                      -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Impressive!!!! I will admit, that type of book(s) is not really my thing (meaning the fantasy genre - although Game of Thrones is great), but I would love to latch onto a series like that and see it through to the end.

I finally finished Hex. I felt it didn't live up to the hype, or at least what I expected. That being said.....I still enjoyed it overall - the ending makes up for the slower pace throughout.

Now.... I am starting Aurora - Kim Stanley Robinson

Comment

Congrats! I could never get into the Shannara books. Not sure why, but the didn't work for me and they should've because I am A Sword and Sorcery freak, I prefer the old school term lol! I just put down the Vagrant, well into it but I wasn't enjoying the book. Sorry Slayin!! I have just started the Wheel of Osheim 3rd book in the Red Queen's War by Mark Lawrence. I've liked the others, so fingers crossed. Have a great week all!

Comment

Picked up all 6 volumes of Locke & Key this afternoon at the library. Really looking forward to diving into these. Also making my way through TBOBD.

Comment

Currently enjoying Raymond Chandler's Farewell my Lovely.

Comment

Just read James Newman's new novella Odd Man Out on Thursday its one of those books you can't put down and will read in one sitting.. it's also a vey brutal story.. I've been playing catch up on all of his books since I discovered what a great story teller he is. Love everything I have read of his so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X