No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished The Word and the Void trilogy--very good (rated the concluding volume, Angel Fire East 5 stars); Starting The Genesis of Shannara trilogy; am most of the way through the first book, Armageddon's Children. Y O Y have I let all these book accumulate unread for 30 years?
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Metro 2033. About 60 pages in, digging it so far!

Comment

I actually finished it in Dec. but the ebook is now out for Chains of the Heretic by Jeff Salyards. It's the third and final book in Bloodsounder's Arc. The trilogy is very worth checking out if you like gritty military fantasy fiction. The writing and the characters are great!!

http://www.amazon.com/Scourge-Betray...C1BWGYKZ8SD2N9

http://www.amazon.com/Veil-Deserters...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

http://www.amazon.com/Chains-Heretic...words=salyards

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
          Recently went an my first (and certainly not last) cruise in the Caribbean. Read I'm Not Sam and it's corresponding short concluding story on the plane to Miami. Excellent short read!

Now working my way through The Ritual by Adam Nevill
          Yes...still picking my way through this on my Kobo. It's turning into quite the long read. Either that or am reading at an unusually slow pace (even for myself!).

Comment

I read The Ritual last year I believe and it was kind of a long read for me as well. My feelings were rather torn about it.

Comment

Just finished up the 5th book in the Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski. Two more to go, Swallow’s Tower and Lady of the lake. I enjoy the concept, writing and characters, but I have to say, the series is a hodge-podge collection of short stories, novellas and maybe novels, that are really unfocused, or to put it kindly really meander. Worth one read, but I doubt I’ll be going back unless the last two books really pull it together.

Comment

^Thanks for keeping up the reviews. I'm still quite interested to check out the series. Are all the stories in the same world or featuring a running cast of characters?

I am currently about a quarter or so into Tad Williams The Dragonbone Chair. A slow start, but I am really enjoying it. And I am mostly through Seords & Dark Magic, which is turning out to be a fantastic and varied anthology.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                  ^Thanks for keeping up the reviews. I'm still quite interested to check out the series. Are all the stories in the same world or featuring a running cast of characters?

I am currently about a quarter or so into Tad Williams The Dragonbone Chair. A slow start, but I am really enjoying it. And I am mostly through Seords & Dark Magic, which is turning out to be a fantastic and varied anthology.

The story has evolved/devolved into a sort of typical quest type of story. The Witcher character has softened up considerably, which is both good and bad. So far, lots of unanswered questions and under developed plot points. It’s all holding together, but barely. Having said all that, the writing is pretty good, especially the action scenes and the characters continue to be interesting. As I said, enjoyable as a once read and done, unless he closes out strong. Many of the characters continue through the narrative and the story does take place more or less in the same universe. After all, we are dealing with magic. Additional characters are also sprinkled in. Not bad, but not up to the likes of Abercrombie, Cook or Brett.

Comment

I'm a week into China Mieville's Three Moments of an Explosion. This is my first attempt at reading anything by him. A few friends of mine can't get into him, so I thought that this collection would be a good way to explore his writing.

A few of the stories were really enjoyable, but there have been quite a few that I've been very meh on. My feeling about this book so far is very similar to what I felt when I was reading the Jack Vance Treasury - just not that into it.

This book shouldn't take me a week to read.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                      I'm a week into China Mieville's Three Moments of an Explosion. This is my first attempt at reading anything by him. A few friends of mine can't get into him, so I thought that this collection would be a good way to explore his writing.

A few of the stories were really enjoyable, but there have been quite a few that I've been very meh on. My feeling about this book so far is very similar to what I felt when I was reading the Jack Vance Treasury - just not that into it.

This book shouldn't take me a week to read.
                      I tried him once.... couldn't finish the book. Embassytown. Had a real cool concept, and I really liked the overview, however....for whatever reason(s), I just could not finish it. I might be try him again - I've heard very good things about Perdido Street Station, but I have so many other books on my shelves that I haven't gotten to yet, that it's not a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                        I tried him once.... couldn't finish the book. Embassytown. Had a real cool concept, and I really liked the overview, however....for whatever reason(s), I just could not finish it. I might be try him again - I've heard very good things about Perdido Street Station, but I have so many other books on my shelves that I haven't gotten to yet, that it's not a priority.

Perdido Street Station and The Scar are brilliant. Pretty dense reads and not always pager turners, but simply brilliant.

I have also read City and the City and thought it was really good, but not in the same league as Perdido and Scar.
                        Last edited by bsaenz24; 02-12-2016, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                          The story has evolved/devolved into a sort of typical quest type of story. The Witcher character has softened up considerably, which is both good and bad. So far, lots of unanswered questions and under developed plot points. It’s all holding together, but barely. Having said all that, the writing is pretty good, especially the action scenes and the characters continue to be interesting. As I said, enjoyable as a once read and done, unless he closes out strong. Many of the characters continue through the narrative and the story does take place more or less in the same universe. After all, we are dealing with magic. Additional characters are also sprinkled in. Not bad, but not up to the likes of Abercrombie, Cook or Brett.
                          Fair enough. I often wonder what is lost in translation too. Polish is quite different from English in pretty much all aspects, closer to Russian. And I've often heard a lot is missed in language and nuance from translating Russian to English. Which isn't necessarily the same with Latin based language or even Germanic.

Nice to here Brett lumped with Abercrombie and Cook! Love both of them, and just bought my first Peter V. Brett book recently.

Comment

Fair enough. I often wonder what is lost in translation too. Polish is quite different from English in pretty much all aspects, closer to Russian. And I've often heard a lot is missed in language and nuance from translating Russian to English. Which isn't necessarily the same with Latin based language or even Germanic.

Nice to here Brett lumped with Abercrombie and Cook! Love both of them, and just bought my first Peter V. Brett book recently.
                            Warded Man by Brett is an all time favorite!

Comment

So, how good is War And Peace translated? Anyone here read it? I tried reading it, y'know. Really tried. But what confounded me was the fact that the French wasn't translated. I bought the Signet Classic edition. Maybe they weren't saying anything meaningful, or, they could have been saying something profound about the meaning of life. Thing is, I don't know because I can't read French. So, why spend all that time translating the Russian, which I am sure was very difficult, and not the French, which I suppose would have been easier to translate. I could read it on the PC, and have google translate tabbed, I suppose, but, I hate reading books on my PC ( but I read a lot of message board posts. Funny, innit?).

I'm reading The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam, by, Barbara W. Tuchman. Great read. If you like historical non-fiction, I highly recommend it. Guns Of August is supposedly her top book, so I'll get that next from the library.
                              http://damaged-mind-shattered-soul.com//

If knowledge is power, then I am powerless

Comment

Jus finished up The Influence by Bentley Little. Good and typical Bentley Little book. Now going to to read Bastion by Simon Clark. Then on to another novel I have been putting off.NOS4A2.

Comment

Working...
                                X