No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just finished the first Witcher novel, Last Wish, which is actually a collection of short stories. I liked it a lot. I read Legend about 25? year ago. An all time favorite. Orderd McCammon's new Freedom of the Mask #6 in the Matthew Corbett series.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
      just finished the first Witcher novel, Last Wish, which is actually a collection of short stories. I liked it a lot. I read Legend about 25? year ago. An all time favorite. Orderd McCammon's new Freedom of the Mask #6 in the Matthew Corbett series.
      Is that Witcher novel the same set of novels they made the video games about? I heard The Witcher 3 the video game getting tons of praise this past year.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I believe the games are set after the novels; I know having read the novels won't spoil anything in the games for you (and may, in fact, offer a marginally fuller experience), but I'm not sure about the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
          I believe the games are set after the novels; I know having read the novels won't spoil anything in the games for you (and may, in fact, offer a marginally fuller experience), but I'm not sure about the other way around.
          From what I understand Witcher 1 and 2 don't really touch the books at all, Witcher 3 does a little. Personally they aren't really my kind of games, but I do find the premise super interesting.

Instagram

Comment

I piddle around in World of Tanks, not really a gamer. However, I'm enjoying the 2nd title in the series, Sword of Destiny, another collection of short stories.

Comment

Good to hear! I'll have to look into them! Thanks for the review!

About 1/3 of the way through now and I'm really digging Legend so far.

Comment

11/22/63. Finally reading this book. 230 pages in and I love it. Moved this up in anticipation of the hulu mini series.

Comment

2/3 of the way through 'The Pet', by Charles Grant, and it's fantastic. He's known for his 'quiet horror', but he sure can bring on the violence. Great atmosphere, great characters. There a quite a few characters in this, and they all read like 'real' people. Great stuff.

Watched 'Going Clear', a fascinating documentary film about Scientology. Unbelievable that people get sucked into this rubbish, but sucked in they are. The lengths they go to, to protect the C of S, are amazing.
                  L. Ron Hubbard? I just don't know what to say about him...other than, his greatest piece of fiction appears to be his World War 2 service record.

'Valkyrie'. I'm a sucker for WW2 history, but usually in documentary form. This is a very interesting story, and it's a quite well made film. Even Cruise was ok, and I watched this straight after 'Going Clear'! Had a reasonably authentic feel to it. Meh, it was ok. Certainly not a patch on 'Downfall', which I re-watched recently, but I wasn't really expecting it to be.

Comment

Just finished up Finders Keepers, finally. Not because it was a slow read or I didn't like it, I just read so freakin' slow!! Loved it as much as Mr. Mercedes and really looking forward to End of Watch. Next up, Duma Key.

Comment

Finished David Gemmell's Legend and really enjoyed it. I was finally abled to find a copy of Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercombie at the local book store so I am tackling that now. I might also pick up my copy the Sub. Press edition of Swords & Dark magic to read at home as well.

Comment

I just finished the novelization of Star Wars: The Force Awakens (audio book). I really enjoyed it, great narration, sound effect, and music. It also expanded a lot more on some story points they didn't really have the time necessary to touch on in the movie. On top of that anything that doesn't contradict something in the movie is cannon. Kinda makes we want to see the movie again with the knowledge from the book in mind.

Instagram

Comment

Finished Running with the Demon and its sequel A Knight of the Word. Halfway through the final book of the Word and the Void trilogy, Angel Fire East. Fascinatingly complex mythos for the world of Shannara.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                            Finished Running with the Demon and its sequel A Knight of the Word. Halfway through the final book of the Word and the Void trilogy, Angel Fire East. Fascinatingly complex mythos for the world of Shannara.
                            Three of my favorite books. The follow up three are pretty good as well.

Instagram

Comment

While plugging away with Before They Are Hanged, I also picked up They Shoot Horses, Don't They? by Horace McCoy, really digging it so far. Kind of a roman noir from the mid thirties about a marathon dance competition, but it's really quite jaded and pessimistic. Kind of reminds me a bit of James M. Cain's The Postman Always Rings Twice or even some later French existentialist works like Camus' L'Étranger or Sartre's La Nausée.

Comment

Recently went an my first (and certainly not last) cruise in the Caribbean. Read I'm Not Sam and it's corresponding short concluding story on the plane to Miami. Excellent short read!

Now working my way through The Ritual by Adam Nevill
                                Last edited by TJCams; 01-25-2016, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X