What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srboone View Post
    Fine choice! You said you hadn't read it since the 80s, which tells me you read the original version. I hope that's the one you're reading and not the awful 1990s version.

Yes, definitely.
    I have the uncut version as well, but haven't read it. Think I'll flick through it though, after I've finished the original version.

Comment

I've never heard of Blackwater but you have definitely piqued my interest. Kindle version is pretty cheap and Amazon still has some of the Centipede editions. Hmmm ...

Comment

I finished of Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself last night and absolutely loved it! I'm onto book 2 in Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicles, but I can't wait to pick up book 2 in the First Law trilogy and start it up ASAP!

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
          I've never heard of Blackwater but you have definitely piqued my interest. Kindle version is pretty cheap and Amazon still has some of the Centipede editions. Hmmm ...
          TacomaDiver, I'd probably try one of his standalone novels first, to see if he's to your taste. Any of 'The Amulet', 'The Elementals' or 'Cold Moon Over Babylon' would be a great place to start.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation!

I mentioned this book to my girlfriend and she somehow convinced me to buy the Centipede Press edition. It'll be here tomorrow.

Originally posted by Lincoln View Post
            TacomaDiver, I'd probably try one of his standalone novels first, to see if he's to your taste. Any of 'The Amulet', 'The Elementals' or 'Cold Moon Over Babylon' would be a great place to start.

Comment

The BLACKWATER saga was probably my best read of this year(I picked up the Centipede set). It was my first McDowell but now definitely not my last.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Finished The Consultant. Classic Little and very creepy. But the consulting firm "PERFECT Practices" suddenly becomes "PRIVATE Practices" on page 179. It doesn't really matter since PP is being phased out at that point (it's only mentioned two or three more times, but as "Private Practices"), but things like that bother me.

Anyway, as planned all year, December is for Bleak House by Charles Dickens. Probably will be my last book of 2015.
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                  Finished The Consultant. Classic Little and very creepy. But the consulting firm "PERFECT Practices" suddenly becomes "PRIVATE Practices" on page 179. It doesn't really matter since PP is being phased out at that point (it's only mentioned two or three more times, but as "Private Practices"), but things like that bother me.

Anyway, as planned all year, December is for Bleak House by Charles Dickens. Probably will be my last book of 2015.
                  I had to look up Bleak House. Sounds intriguing, I may have to add that one to my TBR list.

Comment

My Centipede set was delivered yesterday. It is definitely a top notch production. Even the slipcase is beautiful. I'm excited to give this one a read. (Probably not until February of next year.)

Speaking of Centipede, I also picked up their non-matching numbered set of the Jim Thompson novels. Another author that I've never read before but the material looked interesting and the fact Jared was selling them for $25 each made it an easy purchase.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    The BLACKWATER saga was probably my best read of this year(I picked up the Centipede set). It was my first McDowell but now definitely not my last.

Comment

My Centipede set was delivered yesterday. It is definitely a top notch production. Even the slipcase is beautiful. I'm excited to give this one a read. (Probably not until February of next year.)

Speaking of Centipede, I also picked up their non-matching numbered set of the Jim Thompson novels. Another author that I've never read before but the material looked interesting and the fact Jared was selling them for $25 each made it an easy purchase.
                      Is the one on amazon signed?

Comment

The Blackwater edition? Yes it came signed and with a slipcase. It was still shrinkwrapped too. I ended up with #25.

Originally posted by Julzz View Post
                        Is the one on amazon signed?

Comment

The Blackwater edition? Yes it came signed and with a slipcase. It was still shrinkwrapped too. I ended up with #25.
                          Thanks! I've held off on this for a while but I keep seeing great reviews about it so consider me enabled!

Comment

Mission accomplished!

And if you order this weekend, Amazon has a 30% off (max $10) coupon going too.

Originally posted by Julzz View Post
                            Thanks! I've held off on this for a while but I keep seeing great reviews about it so consider me enabled!

Comment

My Centipede set was delivered yesterday. It is definitely a top notch production. Even the slipcase is beautiful.
                              I know...that satiny sheen and feel is really something else.

Thompson's a favorite of mine, so I was glad to see Centipede add him to their stable of authors. I'm looking forward to the next set of five reprints, for which Jerad was soliciting recommendations a while back. I'd sure love to see some of the recs I provided make the grade.

Oh, and (again) speaking of Centipede, I just received the new Michael Reaves collection, CODE 666 AND OTHER STORIES. Don't know much about Reaves, but the production of the volume is the usual top-notch quality I've come to expect from this press. I hope the content within matches the production.
                              Last edited by RonClinton; 11-29-2015, 07:11 AM.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I really respect Jerad's committment to the old Noir writers. The Woolrich set is fantastic and his plans to follow up with the "Black Series" have got me jumping for joy. I'm really hoping he'll do a Charles Willeford set one day. If you haven't picked up the Grind Show/Nightmare Alley by Gresham, get them. I think they're on sale.

Comment

Working...
                                X