Page 212 of 214 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214 LastLast
Results 4,221 to 4,240 of 4267

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Junior Member Visitor
    The Million Pound Bank Note - Mark Twain. Recommend to reading
    Last edited by Insurgent; 08-20-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    I am going to read Alan Peter Ryan in the next few weeks.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Am almost done with CJ Tudor's "The Hiding Place". So far, I've really enjoyed it. Should be finishing it tonight. I really liked Tudor's "The Chalk Man" and "The Hiding Place" may be even better!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Am almost done with CJ Tudor's "The Hiding Place". So far, I've really enjoyed it. Should be finishing it tonight. I really liked Tudor's "The Chalk Man" and "The Hiding Place" may be even better!
    That's great to hear. I was meh on The Chalk Man. I liked her writing and the story was interesting but none of the characters did anything--they all just reacted to stuff. I have The Hiding Place on my shelf and I wanted to read that before committing the third Tudor book SubPress is going to publish.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    That's great to hear. I was meh on The Chalk Man. I liked her writing and the story was interesting but none of the characters did anything--they all just reacted to stuff. I have The Hiding Place on my shelf and I wanted to read that before committing the third Tudor book SubPress is going to publish.
    I'm more than halfway finished with The Hiding Place and I think this will be my last Tudor book. Really not digging her stuff. I started out LOVING the book, but I've contemplated quitting it. There's just a childishness about it. Feels juvenile. There's no danger or tension. All the adults seem trapped in adolescence. And the recurring impotent bully theme is dangerously close to the one in Haven by Tom Deady. In fact, this feels like a slightly better retelling of Haven. Maybe it'll turn around, but with so many books to buy and so few dollars to spend, I can't burn budget on misfires. I'll finish it, but I seriously doubt I'll have a matching numbered set of three SubPress Tudor books and that's a shame.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    I wonder when one of these specialty presses will take advantage of this. I can see it now, "Sell your soul to XXXX", for a $1,000 credit or similar.

but with so many books to buy and so few dollars to spend,..."

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I wonder when one of these specialty presses will take advantage of this. I can see it now, "Sell your soul to XXXX", for a $1,000 credit or similar.
    I think it would depend on the quality of the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    My soul certainly isn't worth that much.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    My soul certainly isn't worth that much.
    I'll trade you a James Patterson novel (BCE) and a Danielle Steele (sp?) hard cover missing the dust jacket and we'll call it even!

Finally getting around to reading the SubPress limited of Robert C. Cargill's "Sea of Rust". Am about three -quarters through and am really enjoying it. I'm sure this book drives the hard-sci-fi readers nuts as some of the science is a bit thin, but this is exactly the type of sci-fi reading that I enjoy. Am hoping the author nails the ending and that it isn't overly saccharine. So far, a solid four star read for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I'll trade you a James Patterson novel (BCE) and a Danielle Steele (sp?) hard cover missing the dust jacket and we'll call it even!
    Sure but you're overpaying.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Just finished Joe Hill's STRANGE WEATHER (though disappointedly I'm still waiting on the CD S/L edition of it that I ordered almost exactly two years ago today). Liked it more than reviews I'd read might have suggested...I thought all four novellas were pretty strong, though the acclaim that ALOFT typically gets over the others is deserved. I enjoyed this one, and am looking forward to the four-volume set that CD will be sending me...sometime.

Then I enjoyed THE ART OF RAFAEL DESOTO, a coffee-table-size art book of his art from the pulps, men's adv. mags, and paperback covers that I picked up from Illustrated Press. It (and a coupon from B&N) inspired me to finally pick up the Reginald Heade artbook I'd been putting off for some time.

Now I tackle my TBR pile to see what's next...not sure yet what my mood is, but I guess I'll find out tonight when I make my selection.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Finally getting around to reading the SubPress limited of Robert C. Cargill's "Sea of Rust". Am about three -quarters through and am really enjoying it. I'm sure this book drives the hard-sci-fi readers nuts as some of the science is a bit thin, but this is exactly the type of sci-fi reading that I enjoy. Am hoping the author nails the ending and that it isn't overly saccharine. So far, a solid four star read for me.
    Hope you enjoy it...I read the same Sub Press edition you are, and really enjoyed it.

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...736135168?s=20

Like you, I like my sci-fi decidely light, and this one did the trick very nicely. I had read READY PLAYER ONE a short while before, and enjoyed that one as well...same kind of light SF that usually hits me just right. I wish there were more such books (and maybe there are and I'm just not aware of them)...seems like anytime I browse for similar works, I run into title after title of either hard (or medium-baked) SF or epic fantasy, neither of which are for me.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Just finished Joe Hill's STRANGE WEATHER (though disappointedly I'm still waiting on the CD S/L edition of it that I ordered almost exactly two years ago today). Liked it more than reviews I'd read might have suggested...I thought all four novellas were pretty strong, though the acclaim that ALOFT typically gets over the others is deserved. I enjoyed this one, and am looking forward to the four-volume set that CD will be sending me...sometime.

Then I enjoyed THE ART OF RAFAEL DESOTO, a coffee-table-size art book of his art from the pulps, men's adv. mags, and paperback covers that I picked up from Illustrated Press. It (and a coupon from B&N) inspired me to finally pick up the Reginald Heade artbook I'd been putting off for some time.

Now I tackle my TBR pile to see what's next...not sure yet what my mood is, but I guess I'll find out tonight when I make my selection.
    I really enjoyed Strange Weather. Aloft is a great story with Rain being very strong as well.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I'm currently on a vacation trip home to North Dakota/Minn. I have not yet gone back to The Fredric Brown double novel The Screaming Mimi and I have left Our Lady Of the Shadows by Tony Richards in my car. On this trip I read The Graveyard Reader, 12 short tales, edited by Groff Conklin. Now I'm reading The Case Of The Crumpled Knave by Anthony Boucher.

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 09-20-2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Fix info.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I really enjoyed Strange Weather. Aloft is a great story with Rain being very strong as well.
    Aloft was the weakest for me. Just seemed a like a story of some dude
    Spoiler!
    Loaded was the best for me by far. Followed by Snapshot.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I finished reading The Case Of The Crumpled Knave by Anthony Boucher. It was an okay read. The plot was confusing which I expected from reading the brief description on the book's back cover. I am now reading The Sea Flower by Ruth Moore. I picked up this paperback at a Fargo used bookstore.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Am about half-way through a reread of the SubPress limited of Dan Simmons' "Summer of Night". Loved it when I first read it and love it just as much now! Definitely in my top 5 horror/coming of age books. Will probably be reading James Sallis' "Sarah Jane" next as I picked it up at a book signing of his last night. I love me some James Sallis and cannot understand why he isn't more of a household name. Everything I've ever read of his has been stunning.

Just started PINES by Blake Crouch and so far loving it.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Started Brother and have read 100 pages. This book is amazing. I'm very happy that I jumped on the Suntup edition.