Read it: loved it!

sk

Comment

I am loving it as well. A super book.
      Originally posted by frik51 View Post
      Read it: loved it!

sk

Comment

Broken Empire trilogy. First book was great, and the second seemed to be taking a slight step back until the scene where Jorg was forced to break his dog's legs by his father, the king, to teach him a lesson. My blood boiled. This kind of writing is capable of lighting fires.
        “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
        -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bugen View Post
          Broken Empire trilogy. First book was great, and the second seemed to be taking a slight step back until the scene where Jorg was forced to break his dog's legs by his father, the king, to teach him a lesson. My blood boiled. This kind of writing is capable of lighting fires.
          I only read the first book a couple of months ago. It certainly had it's moments but I thought the whole book itself was poorly written. I'm still unsure if I'll read book 2 as it didn't really give me any lasting impressions. Maybe A Game of Thrones has set the bar for me too high :\. Speaking of which I just received A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. Tons of illustrations so I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Finished The Prophet last week, had high hopes for it but wasn't really much of a thriller. Didn't have any scenes that left me on the edge. Now I've started Joyland (just received it). Got high hopes for this so hopefully it delivers.

Comment

I really enjoyed Joyland.
            Originally posted by Julzz View Post
            I only read the first book a couple of months ago. It certainly had it's moments but I thought the whole book itself was poorly written. I'm still unsure if I'll read book 2 as it didn't really give me any lasting impressions. Maybe A Game of Thrones has set the bar for me too high :\. Speaking of which I just received A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. Tons of illustrations so I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Finished The Prophet last week, had high hopes for it but wasn't really much of a thriller. Didn't have any scenes that left me on the edge. Now I've started Joyland (just received it). Got high hopes for this so hopefully it delivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              I really enjoyed Joyland.
              That is what I get for replying to a post while in a recovery room waiting for the "Numbing Agent" to wear off. This was a response to a different thread. I guess I know now why they would not let me leave even though I thought I was fine.

Comment

I enjoyed the first 3 books in the Song of Fire and Ice series immensely, the 4th and 5th and merely pedestrian at best, real let downs. I like to Lawrence books because of the tone and pace, they’re fun. I enjoyed Joyland too, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                  the Song of Fire and Ice series
                  Have all five books, in various editions, but haven't read a single one yet.

sk

Comment

Elric: The Stealer of Souls
                    Last edited by bugen; 10-21-2015, 05:52 AM. Reason: posted wrong thread
                    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                    -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Not my favorite Moorcock series. I like the Runestaff better, however, Centipede press is bringing out the Elric series.
                      "Elric
                      The Elric project would be eight volumes. Each book would have new artwork and there would be a ninth book, or an addendum somewhere, showcasing old artwork, like Michael Whelan’s works. The eight (or nine) volumes would be in a slipcase and would probably retail for $500-600 for the signed limited edition, perhaps a bit more. There would also be an oversize deluxe edition and you can imagine how much that might be. " I get to keep some money in my pocket lol!

Comment

I picked through various stories in The Books of Blood (I - III). I was kind of growing tired of it though, even though I enjoyed what I read. Wanted something short and sweet - so onto The Narrator!

Comment

Started The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. Cool introduction for the collection and I am happy to see that there is an introduction for each story. I have read the Collection introduction and the introduction to Mile 81 so far. Many of the stories will be re-reads but I am excited to have a King collection in my hands!

Comment

Started The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. Cool introduction for the collection and I am happy to see that there is an introduction for each story. I have read the Collection introduction and the introduction to Mile 81 so far. Many of the stories will be re-reads but I am excited to have a King collection in my hands!
                            Sounds cool. Really looking forward to that one also Martin. Got both the US and UK editions on order and my book club edition (aka daily drivers) should be arriving any day now.

Comment

Jumped on The Bazaar od Bad Dreams bandwagon. I purposefully didn't read a lot of these stories upon original publication. But King's intro made me wished I had and highlights one of my complaints against an e-reader. King's statement about how a story is never in it's definitive form until the author dies is disturbing. I can buy an e-book upon publication, but if the author makes a change to it for a later publication, the original version is lost. Since I only own "access" to the book, the subsequent changes are all that I will own access to: I would own access to the version someone else wants me to have. An example would be the book American Sniper. A friend of mine bought the ebook when it came out and it had the section "Punching out Scruffy Face" in it about Kyle confronting Jesse Ventura in a bar. But subsequent printings of the book don't have that section in it since Ventura won his defamation lawsuit. My friend was PISSED when he found out that his ebook version no longer had that section in it.

THAT being said, I too am excited to have a book of King's shorter works (which seem to be more satisfying than his novels these days) in my hands!
                              Last edited by srboone; 11-11-2015, 06:15 AM.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I picked up The Bazaar of Bad Dreams last week as well. Not jumping into it yet. Why....I don't know!

I've been slowly working my way through The Other by Thomas Tryon. I researched and found tons of great reviews on it, however....I truly did not understand the hype behind it. The setting, atmosphere, and characters were well drawn up. The story seemed to drag on for me though - it got to the point where I really didn't care anymore what was going to happen next.

Up next for me - Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl. A futuristic enviro-sci-fi. Won lots of awards (Hugo and Nebula among others!).

Comment

Working...
                                X