No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to get to Dark Advent as well. That being said, I've had Picking the Bones in my TBR for about three years now, so maybe I need to read that one first.

Comment

No-no, you really should read Dark Advent first.

sk

Comment

Love Dark Advent, but I recommend digging into PIcking the Bones first. It's so much short story goodness, you'll be hooked on Hodge from then on out.

Comment

Currently reading 'A Thousand Miles to Freedom (My Escape from North Korea)' by Eunsun Kim. Highly recommend this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            Currently reading 'A Thousand Miles to Freedom (My Escape from North Korea)' by Eunsun Kim. Highly recommend this one.
            I may look into that. I read Aquariums of Pyongyang a few years back, and it was a story about a man who managed to escape, and told the story leading up to his imprisonment.......it amazes me how stuff like that can go on in times like today (modern times - 1980s to now).

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
              I may look into that. I read Aquariums of Pyongyang a few years back, and it was a story about a man who managed to escape, and told the story leading up to his imprisonment.......it amazes me how stuff like that can go on in times like today (modern times - 1980s to now).
              This one starts with her childhood where the family believes their supreme leaders are gods and will take car of them. She recalls seeing her mother cry when Kin-Il Sung died. Then the disolutionment when the family suffers and members day during the famine, the escape into China were the family is enslaved. It is well written and tells an amazing story of survival.

Comment

'Koko', by Straub. What an amazing, epic, dark, disturbing novel. The chapter which tells us what happened at the village in Vietnam is just incredible. A feeling of dread hangs over the whole novel, and we meet some truly horrible characters. Despite this, a very enjoyable read - though not quite as good as his horror output.

King's 'Night Shift' collection. I read all of King's novels up to 'Insomnia', but not much of his short work. Man, was I missing out back then! Great collection, with some out and out classics. Favourites were Strawberry Spring, Children of the Corn, One for the Road, Gray Matter and The Man Who Loved Flowers.

Just started 80's horror novel 'Night Things', by Michael Talbot. So far, so good.

I have some recent-ish King novels on my shelf, what's the pick of these ones? - Cell, Desperation, The Regulators, Revival.

Comment

My wife is reading Koko again for probably the millionth time. She loves that book. She'd highly recommend Mystery to you also. I've never read him. Out of the those four, probably Cell. I didn't personally care for Desperation or The Regulators. Revival was an extremely hard for me to get into but I'm less then 100 pages from the end and it's really picking up the pace. Glad I stuck with it.

Comment

I was disappointed with Koko when I first read it. I had been expecting something along the lines of Ghost Story, which it is decidedly not. In hindsight, though, I look back at just how good the novel is and how well executed the theme of identity was in it. Both Mystery and Throat are great reads. I also prefer Straub's horror novels as that's where my interests primarily lie, but those Blue Rose books are right behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                      I was disappointed with Koko when I first read it. I had been expecting something along the lines of Ghost Story, which it is decidedly not. In hindsight, though, I look back at just how good the novel is and how well executed the theme of identity was in it. Both Mystery and Throat are great reads. I also prefer Straub's horror novels as that's where my interests primarily lie, but those Blue Rose books are right behind them.
                      The movie of Ghost Story was awesome I thought. I can only image how good the book must be. Definitely on my to do list.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln View Post
                        'Koko', by Straub. What an amazing, epic, dark, disturbing novel. The chapter which tells us what happened at the village in Vietnam is just incredible. A feeling of dread hangs over the whole novel, and we meet some truly horrible characters. Despite this, a very enjoyable read - though not quite as good as his horror output.

King's 'Night Shift' collection. I read all of King's novels up to 'Insomnia', but not much of his short work. Man, was I missing out back then! Great collection, with some out and out classics. Favourites were Strawberry Spring, Children of the Corn, One for the Road, Gray Matter and The Man Who Loved Flowers.

Just started 80's horror novel 'Night Things', by Michael Talbot. So far, so good.

I have some recent-ish King novels on my shelf, what's the pick of these ones? - Cell, Desperation, The Regulators, Revival.
                        Of those four I would probably start with Revival, I would consider it pretty good. Cell and Desperation are decent and The Regulators is puzzling at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                          The movie of Ghost Story was awesome I thought. I can only image how good the book must be. Definitely on my to do list.
                          Ghost Story, Hellfire Club and Lost Boy, Lost Girl are all must reads from Peter Straub!

Comment

Of those four I would probably start with Revival, I would consider it pretty good. Cell and Desperation are decent and The Regulators is puzzling at best.
                            I just finished up with Revival minutes ago. Wasn't for me. Disappointed. It's always nice to be able to return to vintage King if you will. Those stories sucked me in and refused to let go. Next up for me is Finders Keepers as far as King. Got some shorty's I'm going to knock out in the mean time.

Comment

Ghost Story, Hellfire Club and Lost Boy, Lost Girl are all must reads from Peter Straub!
                              Dually noted Sir!!

Comment

I agree about Lost Boy, Lost Girl. Great read. I haven't read Hellfire Club yet, but it's in my TBR pile. I haven't read Mr. X or A Dark Matter yet either. Man, I'm kinda behind on my Straub reading.

Comment

Working...
                                X