No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved Swan Song! I'll have to try the Vagranr, seen some mixed reviews. Did you try the Hooded Man? Sort of Robin Hood and the apocalypse, I've read the first one, it was pretty good.
    MDH

Comment

I haven't, I'll add it to my list.

As far as mixed reviews for The Vagrant, nearly all negative reviews I've seen have focused solely on the ebook pricing which, while a valid complaint, is a shitty thing to base a one-star review around. Most reviews from people that have actually read the book tend to be very positive.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
        Really want to pick this one up. I have The Windup Girl waiting to be read as well.
        Originally posted by Martin View Post
        I was in Powell's Beaverton yesterday and they had a bunch of signed editions of this one. I did not know enough about the author or story so I passed.
        First time reading any books from this author but I'm glad I did. Good dystopian story where there's a power struggle on water sources. Started ok but once it gets going it really gets going. It's a good 4 star for me, the ending was kinda blah but that's just me. Now I'm going to have to pick up The Windup Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
          I finished The Vagrant earlier this week - it's a great book and I can't wait for the sequel.

I started Swan Song last night; this will be my first time reading it.
          Oh, man, Swan Song is just so much fun. It's a long book, but never once felt that way to me. I think that one of the best compliments one can give to any piece of art whether it be a book, movie, or song, is wishing that you could erase it from your memory so you could get the chance to experience it again for the first time. Swan Song is in that category for me. I hope you enjoy it!

Comment

Finished Blood Kin. Another book that reminded me of those cheapie 80s horror flicks I watched on late night cable TV. A couple of times, Kelly just related what a character was feeling to set up the current scene and book felt "juvenile", but other than those parts, I really enjoyed it.

Back to my TBR of "Books I Should Have Read in College and Didn't ": Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway.
            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I'm dying to get to The Sun Also Rises. Good idea going over stuff we should've read but didn't. Might have to think about trying something similar myself.
              “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
              -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Just finishing up Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic. Absurdist fantasy, I'm loving it!

Comment

Five stars for The Sun Also Rises. The paperback I have of this contains a lot of notes in the margins (that I gleaned from Dr. Edwards' lectures). It was interesting to read them along with the text. Undecided about what's next, I want to grab something off my GR "Recommended" shelf, but most of those are ebooks.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I just finished Snow Crash. It was a fun read - lots of Sumerian references, lots of futuristic techno talk, has a dystopian feel to it as well. I enjoyed it.

Now, onto A Stir of Echoes by Richard Matheson
                    Last edited by TJCams; 06-29-2015, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Just finished up Mccammon's The Border. I've heard some comments about the ending, but I didn't see any other way to finish the book. It was full of compassion, hope and of course some sadness. A very good Summer read.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                        Just finished up Mccammon's The Border. I've heard some comments about the ending, but I didn't see any other way to finish the book. It was full of compassion, hope and of course some sadness. A very good Summer read.
                        I liked the book, but the ending did keep it from being great for me. Not the concept of the ending but how it was handled. I felt it was a little rushed and sloppy and didn't have the impact I wanted it to have. But that's just me.

Comment

No, I can agree with that, a bit of a soft ending.

Comment

Finished 'A Head Full of Ghosts', and thought it was excellent. Hard to comment on without spoiling it - I knew absolutely nothing about it, and that was a big plus.

Back to Straub - 'Koko', and I'll continue to dip into Kings' 'Night Shift'.

Comment

Just finished "I, Ripper" by Stephen Hunter. Review soon.

In process:

"The Dark Side of the Road" by Simon R. Green.
                              "Superposition" by David Walton.
                              "The Subprimes" by Karl Taro Greenfeld.
                              "Shadow of the Wolf" by Tim Hall.
                              (reviews forthcoming for all)

edit: has anyone read Blake Crouch's "Pines" trilogy? Just watched the first episode of "Wandering Pines" and loved it; I have the books put on hold at the library.
                              Last edited by marduk; 06-29-2015, 11:29 PM.

Comment

My wife has read the first Pines book and says it's much, much better than the show.

Comment

Working...
                                X