Page 198 of 210 FirstFirst ... 98148188196197198199200208 ... LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,960 of 4191

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    I loved Gerald's Game.

The Regulators would probably be the last one that I would read for a second time. I don't remember any of the characters and barely the plot. Desperation was not much better for me either.

I dug The Dark Half too.

People hate on The Tommyknockers a lot but I feel like with a little bit of editing and maybe trimming it down some it would be a really great book.

Dreamcatcher also gets a lot of hate and while I appreciate the gore, it isn't at the top of my reread list either.

Though not a novel, Blockade Billy is probably my least favorite thing he's put out. I do love the CD production of it though!

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brlesh View Post
    It's not that I didn't enjoy parts of Gerald's Game, but to me it ended up being a gimmick story, the kind of thing Koontz was regularly writing in the 80's.

B
    I can't really disagree with that but it did not detract from the story for me.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I can't really disagree with that but it did not detract from the story for me.
    I can't disagree either since I've never read any Koontz ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    When I first read Koontz I enjoyed him but after a few stories I just did not feel the need to return. Of the very limited number I have read Intensity stands out in my memory as a very good read.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    When I first read Koontz I enjoyed him but after a few stories I just did not feel the need to return. Of the very limited number I have read Intensity stands out in my memory as a very good read.
    Pick any of his books from '76 to '88, and you're sure to to have a great read. Anything before (his early sci-fi is hit and miss) or after LIGHTNING or maybe MIDNIGHT, and my Guarantee of Satisfaction is null and void.

Interestingly, '95's INTENSITY, that you mention, is one of the very few post-'88 books I'd recommend (and do, as I recall it being quite good).

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Am currently reading NO SHARKS IN THE MED by Brian Lumley, and am kind of remembering why I don't read him often. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Pick any of his books from '76 to '88, and you're sure to to have a great read. Anything before (his early sci-fi is hit and miss) or after LIGHTNING or maybe MIDNIGHT, and my Guarantee of Satisfaction is null and void.

Interestingly, '95's INTENSITY, that you mention, is one of the very few post-'88 books I'd recommend (and do, as I recall it being quite good).
    I know I have read several Koontz books but for the life of me I can't think of another by name. Intensity really stuck with me. Beyond that my brain muddles Koontz and Crichton as the same person. Both authors that I enjoyed and quickly burned out on. I was thinking Congo as another good Koontz read and realized it was a Crichton book.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Not a fan of the second half (post accident) of the Dark Tower series (Books 5, 6, & 7). B
    Hopefully there aren't any TDTers lurking but the only books from the series that I really enjoyed was 2&4. Although, to be fair, I have yet to read TWTTK.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    I have read a number of his books (that is not saying much as there seems to be a million of them) but I did enjoy them in a quick read kind of way. There are some exceptions to that but overall the bulk I've read felt a little flat and formulated. In other words not much teeth to them. He has a huge following so I'm sure I'm in the minority on my opinion.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Luckily you are on a different site saying this.

I enjoyed the series as a whole and did find book 6 to be my least favorite followed closely by book 4. Of course my favorite is book 1 which is not typical for many fans of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Hopefully there aren't any TDTers lurking but the only books from the series that I really enjoyed was 2&4. Although, to be fair, I have yet to read TWTTK.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    For the first time in months, I am only reading one book. I don't even remember the name of this book, but it is a compilation of the author's horror movie reviews, from A-Z, over a fifteen-year period. I borrowed it on my Kindle on October 1st, and I'm only 43% done. This is the LONGEST....FUCKING....BOOK....that I've ever read. It's a fun read, and I'm finding a lot of good viewing ideas, but this fucking book needs to end.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    I just finished Charlaine Harris's An Easy Death. I haven't read anything from her before, but know who she is because of True Blood (which I've never watched,) and the various Aurora Teagarden mysteries that my wife watches on Hallmark, and after finishing this book, I probably won't be reading anything else.

The premise sounded interesting, very similar to some of the Dark Tower ideas - a gunslinger (basically hired bodyguard who's good at shooting,) living in an alternate history/past America, with some magic thrown in. Really wanted to like it, but it just felt so juvenile. Quite rambling at times, and then at other times the focus changes mid-paragraph as to what is going on or where/when the character is at. Maybe she needs an editor to keep her on track . . .

My next read is volume two of The Books of Babel from Josiah Bancroft - Arm of the Spinx. Enjoyed the first quite a bit, and am anxious to get started on the second volume. I first learned about this series from Bill at Sub Press (and yes, I purchased the signed editions because why not, it's only money.)

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    It's a fun read, and I'm finding a lot of good viewing ideas, but this fucking book needs to end.
    I've read a few like this before - it's worse when you're not enjoying it. I really need to learn to quit books . . .

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Thanks to a recent thread on this forum I am currently reading LIVE GIRLS by Ray Garton. I had read this book back in the late 1980s but I hadn't thought about it in years. The copy I read back then was a paperback loaned to me by a friend. For my re-read I felt the need to acquire the same paperback edition that I had read way back when. So far it is just as sleazy and enjoyable as I had remembered.

Live Girls.jpg

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I finally finished The Transfiguration of Mister Punch. I'm almost 3/4 through The Lone Ranger Omnibus Vol. 1 and I've sunk my reading teeth into Target Rabaul: The Allied Siege of Japan's Most Infamous Stronghold, March 1943-August 1945 by Bruce Gamble. Target Rabaul is the last book in the Rabaul non-fiction trilogy.
    I did a review of The Transfiguration of Mister Punch in the Book Market where I have listed it for sale.

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 11-24-2018 at 04:00 AM.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Member Part-timer
    Currently 3/4 of the way through The Outsider by Stephen King and really enjoying it. Best thing he's written since Duma Key, maybe since The Green Mile.

B

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Currently 3/4 of the way through The Outsider by Stephen King and really enjoying it. Best thing he's written since Duma Key, maybe since The Green Mile.

B
    Duma Key. The last great King novel.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I finished The Lone Ranger Omnibus Vol. 1-Still reading the book on the history of Rabaul by Bruce Gamble. I've started reading The Divine Eccentric: Lola Montez And The Newspapers by Doris Foley.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Duma Key. The last great King novel.

No love for 11/22/63? I loved Duma Key but I thought 11/22/63 was as good or better.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar
    THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF HALLOWEEN STORIES edited by Stephen Jones

Quite a few nice surprises. I'm enjoying this very much.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson