No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished "Tibetan Peach Pie" by Tom Robbins. Excellent. Sort of a memoir, but in the loosest sense.

I recently got the complete "Death Gate" cycle by Weis & Hickman, and the "Moonshae" trilogy by Douglas Niles. Was craving a bit of old-school fantasy. Haven't started them yet.

Right now reading a book of letters between Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg; "Atop an Underwood" by Jack Kerouac; "'Salem's Lot" by you-know-who; "Another Roadside Attraction" by Tom Robbins; and, now and then, still working my way through "The Vampire Lestat."

Comment

I'm reading Vendetta by Howard Hopkins. Vendetta is a new, original Lone Ranger novel.

Cap
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

The Dark Towe VII - I started re-reading the this summer.

Comment

Finished "Jackaby" and working on review. Started "The Boy Who Drew Monsters" but I don't think I'll enjoy it very much.

Comment

I am reading The Demonologist by Canadian author Andrew Pyper. I am about 1/3 way through and really like it so far!

Comment

Finished 'Nightmare Seasons' - great stuff, looking forward to reading more Grant.
              Started 'The Nightwalker', by Thomas Tessier - another new to me author that I've been keen to sample. Really good, so far.

Comment

Haven't done a whole lot of reading lately. Things start happening and they snowball and just start taking up all your time. But I've started Twelve Gauge by Ronald Kelly.
                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Finished The October Country and another novella in Trick or Treat. Working on Four October's and my favorite Rick Hautala story Miss Henry's Bottles . A must read for your fall. This weekend I will start The Halloween Man by Douglas Clegg. After that maybe the new Ronald Kelly ebook that just came out of Halloween stories.

Comment

Finshed Twelve Gauge. I liked it, though it is probably my least favorite of Ron's novels. His afterword about the writing of Twelve Gauge is rather amusing and is a perfect ending to the bloody saga.

On the insistence of my nieces, I am reading the Divergent series. I figure I can get the three books done before Revival comes out.
                    Last edited by srboone; 10-16-2014, 11:01 AM.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I just The Demonologist - very good - I really liked it. Although I will say the ending felt incomplete? Rushed?

In my trying to find something to read before Revival comes out, I wasn't sure if I wanted horror, adventure, whatever..... Will need some reading material for Thursday, as my wife has surgery. I decided upon Arthur C Clarke's The Hammer of God. It's short, and I find his books easy to read, and quite fast paced. I may even be able to fit another short one in before Nov 11.

Comment

I agree on this. the ending felt flat.

Comment

Finished Divergent. Fundementally, a good story, well told. But it still boils down to the "will they/won't they" conundrum that seems to occupy most teenagers minds these days. So it didn't distinguish itself from the myriad of YA tales out there (in my mind.) And the few noteworthy conincidences that occurred ranged from amusing to downright laughable. Sallying forth with Insurgent. Or is it Allegiant? I'll have to check.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Finished the Divergent series. Things were going well until the last book which was really disappointing. Reading is never a waste of time, but I'm glad to get out of YA land and back to something more...comfortable.

Starting Brood of the Witch-Queen by Sax Rohmer--the Centipede Press compilation.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts on the Divergent series. I had taken a peek at this one myself when I saw Easton releasing a version but will likely pass; I'll take your word for it.

Loved Brood of the Witch-Queen. Hope you enjoy!
                              “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                              -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I started reading the Gone books (Michael Grant), another YA series. I got thru the first two, gave it a break for a month or so, and then started the third book over the weekend. I got maybe a hundred pages into it and gave up. I just don't care much about the characters, and the plot seems repetitive. Being a YA series, I guess it's ok, but I have too many books to read to bother with the remaining four books.

Comment

Working...
                                X