What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marduk View Post
    Just finished "Neverwhere". I don't know why I never got through it before. Loved it. Plan on starting "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" tomorrow.

Since it's October, I keep looking at my King shelves, thinking "I should read one of these" - but I can't really find anything that grabs me.

Working my way through the Thieves' World books.
    Ocean should be a fairly quick read for you. I loved it.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, which I enjoyed quite a bit, as I knew I would. This is the third or fourth time that I've read this book, always intending to continue with the series and never do. Years go by and I decide to read the rest of the books, but before I do I have to read Ender's Game one more time, just to refresh the memory. Then I get sidetracked, time passes, and the cycle begins anew. I've committed myself to getting through the rest of the quartet in the next few months, so I guess we'll have to see how it goes!

Comment

Dead Sea by Tim Curran. First two thirds of this book was fantastic, fresh take on the Devil's Triangle. Its a bit over descriptive but it keeps drawing you further into whats going on, then the latter part of the book it gets kind of derailed and I found the end a little unsatisfactory.

Dead Sea by Brian Keene. Pretty disappointing, boring. After his "The Rising" and "City of the Dead" pretty much put him in the forefront of zombie novelist everyone was clamoring for more. This story is not connected to the other books in any way. I found this book to be rather amateurish and simple, if I had not known it I would not have believed it was by the same author.
        If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

I just finished The 5th Wave, by Rick Yancey. I'd never heard of it, but my wife pulled a full-page ad out of her People magazine and asked me to download it for her.

I believe it's aimed at teen readers, but it was well worth a read.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
            I just finished The 5th Wave, by Rick Yancey. I'd never heard of it, but my wife pulled a full-page ad out of her People magazine and asked me to download it for her.

I believe it's aimed at teen readers, but it was well worth a read.
            I enjoyed The 5th Wave to a point. There's a moment where all the science stops making sense, but I was okay with that. I didn't know if the end of the book was trying to trick me because it didn't really seem to end to me--do you know if there's going to be a follow-up to it?

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
              Ocean should be a fairly quick read for you. I loved it.
              I loved Ocean too. It was a quick afternoon read, I was so immersed. Maybe mesmerized by it is a better way to put it.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                Finished The Dark Half and have had my faith in King restored (after having it falter a little with Dr. Sleep). Also sped through Blue November Storms by BJF.

Now I'm starting The Runes of the Earth: The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book 1 by Stephen R. Donaldson. The concluding volume, Book 4, come out on Thursday.
                That's interesting; I recently read The Dark Half. I decided I would dub it as his autobiography.

Comment

Finished The Dark Half and have had my faith in King restored (after having it falter a little with Dr. Sleep). Also sped through Blue November Storms by BJF.

Now I'm starting The Runes of the Earth: The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book 1 by Stephen R. Donaldson. The concluding volume, Book 4, come out on Thursday.
                  Now that you have finished The Dark Half, try going straight into Needful Things, as it's practically a sequel to that book and it will also restore your faith in Stephen King sequels after you were disappointed with Doctor Sleep.
                  "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
                  - Stephen King

Comment

Read NT already. Twice. It was ok. Rated it 3 stars.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by Lauren Dixon View Post
                      I enjoyed The 5th Wave to a point. There's a moment where all the science stops making sense, but I was okay with that. I didn't know if the end of the book was trying to trick me because it didn't really seem to end to me--do you know if there's going to be a follow-up to it?
                      I assumed from the start that it would be the first in a series, so I wasn't expecting more to the ending than what we got.

I could deal with the science, but the fact that there was more than one Luger pistol in the story was irritating. I don't think any US armory is stocking WWII German pistols.

Comment

Started Fatal Revenant by Donaldson; Book 2 of The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Started Fatal Revenant by Donaldson; Book 2 of The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
                          I'm about 1/4 of the way throught Runes....loving it!!

Comment

I'm currently inching my way through NOS-4R2 as part of my pre-WFC reads. It's not grabbed me in quite the same way as Heart-Shaped Box, but it's early days.
                            The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
                            Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
                            ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Finally got "Kill City Blues" (Richard Kadrey) from the library. Yay! Starting it today.

Comment

My reading time is so few and precious lately. I am really enjoying slowly picking my way thru "It". I don't think I ever fully read it way back, and am very glad I decided to tackle it again now.

Comment

Working...
                                X