No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw your brief review on Goodreads Squire - I am glad I held off in a way, as I was scared off from DS in that I was hoping the hype wasn't worth more than the story itself.

Comment

I really need to revisit The Shining.
      Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Creepers by David Morrell: A thriller with enough twists and turns to keep you interested, yet not enough else going on to really break the mold. Saying too much about the plot would ruin it for others, but though I liked a lot of the mythology of the book, I think the payoff for it wasn't nearly as interesting. A decent thriller that doesn't tax the brain too much, I'm surprised this hasn't already been made into a movie. Decent read. Grade: C+

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
          I saw your brief review on Goodreads Squire - I am glad I held off in a way, as I was scared off from DS in that I was hoping the hype wasn't worth more than the story itself.
          Are you holding off for now or for good? I wouldn't let a 3 star rating keep you from reading it! The average rating on Goodreads from the many ratings and reviews is over 4. There is nothing to say you wouldn't love the story! I am holding off myself, but that is only because I want to listen to NOS4A2 first and have other reading plans for October and November. I've never really been in a rush to read a brand new book anyway.
          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
          Spoiler!

Comment

At this point, my reviews of King's books are as much my decision on it's quality as how the book compares with the others he's written. When looking at the mass of reviews for this book already, you have to try to separate the chaff from the wheat (the fanboy reviews from the honest ones)--glad you think mine is one of the honest ones. King is my favorite author and it pains me to have to write a review like that.

Don't let me disuade you from buying or reading the book at all. Many reviews I deemed "honest" were from people who liked the book. But I get ocassional hate mail from people who give everything King writes 5 stars. I guess they stake out the book on GR and read every review that comes in.

Am I regretting spending $100 on CD's Gift Edition? Not at all. I'm really looking forward to it. If you're a King fan, read it, by all means.
            Last edited by srboone; 10-02-2013, 07:30 AM.
            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Kinsmen by Bill Pronzini: Man, I'm glad I took a chance on this and Femme because I enjoyed both. This one a little more than Femme, though. Maybe it's because Kinsmen didn't have the changing perspective that Femme did, either way I liked this book a lot. Though I'm sure nothing here breaks new ground, it is Pronzini's writing that kicks it up a notch. Smooth and effortless, I found myself just being pulled along with the story's momentum. Great read and here's to keep my fingers crossed that CD will do more with Pronzini's work in the future. Grade: B+

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                At this point, my reviews of King's books are as much my decision on it's quality as how the book compares with the others he's written. When looking at the mass of reviews for this book already, you have to try to separate the chaff from the wheat (the fanboy reviews from the honest ones)--glad you think mine is one of the honest ones. King is my favorite author and it pains me to have to write a review like that.

Don't let me disuade you from buying or reading the book at all. Many reviews I deemed "honest" were from people who liked the book. But I get ocassional hate mail from people who give everything King writes 5 stars. I guess they stake out the book on GR and read every review that comes in.

Am I regretting spending $100 on CD's Gift Edition? Not at all. I'm really looking forward to it. If you're a King fan, read it, by all means.
                Spoiler!
                But I'm looking forward to the CD edition, love the DJ artwork.

Comment

Just finished "Neverwhere". I don't know why I never got through it before. Loved it. Plan on starting "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" tomorrow.

Since it's October, I keep looking at my King shelves, thinking "I should read one of these" - but I can't really find anything that grabs me.

Working my way through the Thieves' World books.

Comment

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
                    Are you holding off for now or for good? I wouldn't let a 3 star rating keep you from reading it! The average rating on Goodreads from the many ratings and reviews is over 4. There is nothing to say you wouldn't love the story! I am holding off myself, but that is only because I want to listen to NOS4A2 first and have other reading plans for October and November. I've never really been in a rush to read a brand new book anyway.
                    No, not for good. I have so many books piled up that I haven't got, and also many e-books I want to get into so Dr. Sleep can wait. As you said, I am never in a hurry to get a brand new book. I will probably eventually grab it, but I am in no hurry to at this time.

Plus - I am more of a reader than a collector (at least at this time). I don't need a first edition or whatever, and with limited funds for books - as I said, it can wait. If you only knew the craziness my family has been through the last few days......
                    Last edited by TJCams; 10-07-2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Rereading The Dark Half by Stephen King. Haven't picked it up in 24 years and it's due for a reread. I remember liking it, but I'll see how it holds up.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                        Rereading The Dark Half by Stephen King. Haven't picked it up in 24 years and it's due for a reread. I remember liking it, but I'll see how it holds up.
                        One of my favourites, I think, of his books that I have read.

I am picking my way thru It right now.

Comment

Exorcising Angels by Simon Clark and Tim Lebbon. I thought this was a great novella about the influence of fiction on reality. I typically don't like to read fictionalized stories with real people in them as I find it takes me out of the story, but Clark and Lebbon's Machen was a great protagonist. Included in the book along with the novella is a very interesting (or at least I thought so) introduction by Tim Lebbon giving some background about Machen and his story "The Bowmen". The two accompanying stories--one each by the same authors--were also good, though did kind of pale in comparison after reading the title story. Definitely worth checking out.

Comment

No, not for good. I have so many books piled up that I haven't got, and also many e-books I want to get into so Dr. Sleep can wait. As you said, I am never in a hurry to get a brand new book. I will probably eventually grab it, but I am in no hurry to at this time.

Plus - I am more of a reader than a collector (at least at this time). I don't need a first edition or whatever, and with limited funds for books - as I said, it can wait. If you only knew the craziness my family has been through the last few days......
                            I'm both a reader and collector, but not worried about getting certain first editions. Doctor Sleep is the first King novel I didn't buy the hardcover of in a while, went with the eBook instead when it was just 7.49 or whatever for a day while in pre-order status as I could afford that easier than getting the hardcover. Added the Audible edition to it as well so I can listen to it as well.
                            WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                            Spoiler!

Comment

Finished The Dark Half and have had my faith in King restored (after having it falter a little with Dr. Sleep). Also sped through Blue November Storms by BJF.

Now I'm starting The Runes of the Earth: The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book 1 by Stephen R. Donaldson. The concluding volume, Book 4, come out on Thursday.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Just started Doctor Sleep yesterday. I am digging it so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X