What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srboone View Post
    Finished The Green Mile. Not going to change my 4-star rating for it. Read The Conqueror Worms by Briane Keene.

<sigh>

I just think Keene is an author I'll just never "get."
    I have only read one Keene, and that was Dark Hollow. For it to grouped into a horror category is understandable, as there was all the horror aspects to it, but I found it more funny than horror in a way. The sexual nature of much of the book was comedic to a point, and actually got a little too silly at times too.

I don't have any others of his in my tbr list/pile currently, and am not really seeking any either at this time.

Comment

Finished McCammon's I Travel By Night. Borrowed The Martian Chronicles audiobook from my library. Sad to say I've never read it before. Looking forward to driving to work now!

Comment

Another brilliant story from 'A Book of Horrors' - 'Ghosts with Teeth', by Peter Crowther.

Comment

I finished "The Ocean at the End of the Lane". Wonderful, wonderful book. One of those few that touches on just about every emotion.

And I've started "Joyland".
          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
            I finished "The Ocean at the End of the Lane". Wonderful, wonderful book. One of those few that touches on just about every emotion.
            I totally agree.

Comment

I'm up to 1927 in TCBHF vol1. I was gonna break at 1926, but that was Lovecraft's "The Outsider" and I had to go ahead with that one!

Started The Chosen by Mr. Lee.
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

"The Outsider" is a great story.
                Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Decided to pick up Jack Vance's Dying Earth instead of Laymon's Travelling Vampire Show, but I will most likely be picking it up next. Just needed a brief respite from horror novels.

Comment

Working my way through The Dark Tower series. Just starting Wastelands.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                      Decided to pick up Jack Vance's Dying Earth instead of Laymon's Travelling Vampire Show, but I will most likely be picking it up next. Just needed a brief respite from horror novels.
                      I've done that at times too. I love horror, but am doing a sci-fi run right now. I have 2 giveaways to read and review, one in an e-book from LibraryThing, and The Thicket in ARC pb from Goodreads - both I guess qualify is horror, so they will probably be next. It's good for me at least, to switch things once in a while.

Comment

OK - so I finished part 3 of Hyperion, and figured I'd take a break and start one of giveaway wins. Started Middle Damned, and I will say right off the start, the formatting is terrible. The font is sooooo small, yet when I zoom on my Kobo, it makes it hard to read, as each page I have to reset to default, turn the page, blow it up - and repeat the process.

Comment

Starting One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It's sad I've never read it, and I'm borrowing it from my daughter too.

Comment

I recently finished Sarah Pinborough's Dog-Faced Gods trilogy. Overall the trilogy is good - books two and three are excellent page-turners that really fly by - but there are some awfully large clichés to surmount and gaping plot holes to leap over. (I defy any office worker to read book one and not scream "Nobody... NOBODY configures a corporate laptop like that!" around half-way through. Could just be my day job creeping in, though! )

I also blazed through Jeanette Winterson's The Daylight Gate. It's really good - she nails the era, the language, the savagery, the grimness - but the prose is sometimes so sparse it reads like a plot outline. Seeing it's an upcoming film from Hammer (who also published the book), that may not be surprising. She also shoehorns Shakespeare into the story as a character, which may cause some readers to roll their eyes. For someone who doesn't write horror, though, this is a bloody good book.

Right now I'm picking my way through Malcolm Gaskill's Witchfinders, detailing the stories of Matthew Hopkins and John Stearne. (You can perhaps see the beginnings of a theme here. )
                            Last edited by Lucian Poll; 07-25-2013, 06:49 PM. Reason: Editing hat on.
                            The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
                            Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
                            ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Middle Damned unfortunately was not for me. First off - the formatting when I loaded onto my Kobo was terrible! It would not let me bump the font size up without causing other issues. The story itself - again, not for me. Didn't like the way the characters dialogue happened. It seemed that the author tried to be too fancy with descriptives, etc. In fact, sad to say, I could not finish it, and don't plan to either. Good thing I did not pay for it, but too bad that as a giveaway I won on Librarything, I couldn't have enjoyed it very much either. I may revisit it at some point, but not likely.

I will carry on with Hyperion until the weekend, and next week will probably start The Thicket.

Comment

Originally posted by Neiaushie79 View Post
                                Starting One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It's sad I've never read it, and I'm borrowing it from my daughter too.
                                One of my favorite books of all time! For me, its one of those books that you wish you could erase the memory of having read it before so that you could read again for the first time. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                                X