No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laird Barron will have a 3rd collection out as soon as the sale of Night Shade books is completed and the books get rolling again.

Comment

I read Nexus, by Ramez Naam yesterday. If you like near-future SF, this book is awesome. The author says that the basic technology used in the story is already here, and improving all the time.

www.rameznaam.com

Mankind gets an upgrade

In the near future, the experimental nano-drug Nexus can link humans together, mind to mind. There are some who want to improve it. There are some who want to eradicate it. And there are others who just want to exploit it.

When a young scientist is caught improving Nexus, he's thrust over his head into a world of danger and international espionage - for there is far more at stake than anyone realizes.

From the halls of academe to the halls of power, from the headquarters of an elite US agency in Washington DC to a secret lab beneath a top university in Shanghai, from the underground parties of San Francisco to the illegal biotech markets of Bangkok, from an international neuroscience conference to a remote monastery in the mountains of Thailand - Nexus is a thrill ride through a future on the brink of explosion.

Comment

Finished a test read of a book that might be published this year, we'll see. Am currently revisitng The Green Mile for group discussion on Goodreads.
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

The conqueror worms by Brian Keene. Also Stephen King Uncollected Unpublished.

Comment

Been there before. I usually just grab a book and start reading.
            Originally posted by marduk View Post
            I'm in one of those horrible moments when I've got a ton of books I want to read but can't make up my mind.... continue the Michael J. Sullivan series? Tackle Joe Abercrombie? Knock off one of my huge Warhammer books? A King book I haven't read yet? I finally got a copy of Frankenstein; maybe I'll try that. Or maybe something completely different; haven't read any Tom Robbins in a while, or Kurt Vonnegut.

Comment

Dust by Joan Frances Turner, love this book so far. An interesting new take on zombies, told first person by a zombie.
              If collecting is an illness, I must be terminal

Comment

i've embarked upon A Matter Of Blood, part one of Sarah Pinborough's Dog-Faced Gods trilogy. It's a big change of pace from the steampunky stuff I've been reading of late, but good so far. I believe these books have recently hit the States. I know some publishers perform a degree of localisation between territories, but I'd be surprised if it took three years to smooth out all the Britishisms. Two, perhaps...
                The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
                Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
                ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

I finally finished nos4a2. It was quite an enjoyable book, but it just felt long. It's weird it almost felt like I read a whole series, there were ups and downs. A part of the story would come to an end, and it felt like I was starting from the beginning again on a new book in the next segment. At times I couldn't put it down, and a few short segments I had to push through. That said though I really did like it. I liked all the characters, good or bad, they were just well written. I also liked how the story how it encapsulated all of Vic's life. There's definitely some disturbing parts, and some tense parts. But what surprised me the most was how modern his writing style was, books often feel timeless to me, this book is specifically dated. Mentioning trends and popular movies or other little tid bits of mainstream culture. I liked the little tributes to King and other authors, and I also quite liked the semi-breaking of the 4th wall at the end.

Probably picking up Richard Laymon's Travelling Vampire Show next.
                  Last edited by Theli; 07-11-2013, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Finished The Green Mile. Not going to change my 4-star rating for it. Read The Conqueror Worms by Briane Keene.

<sigh>

I just think Keene is an author I'll just never "get."
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

On a side note. I have spent the last few days in Astoria Oregon for the state tournament for Call Ripken baseball 11 year old's. The picture is my nephew on third with a ship in the background.

P1270657.jpg

Coming into the tournament the host team was 22-0 for the year. My nephews team is 4-0 in the tournament and won twice against the previously unbeaten team. They are playing for the championship tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                        On a side note. I have spent the last few days in Astoria Oregon for the state tournament for Call Ripken baseball 11 year old's. The picture is my nephew on third with a ship in the background.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12988[/ATTACH]

Coming into the tournament the host team was 22-0 for the year. My nephews team is 4-0 in the tournament and won twice against the previously unbeaten team. They are playing for the championship tonight.
                        Good luck! I hope they win!

Comment

Thanks! They won the tournament and play again in two weeks on Helena Montana. I just realized I posted this in the wrong section earlier. Sorry.
                          Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                          Good luck! I hope they win!

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                            Finished The Green Mile. Not going to change my 4-star rating for it. Read The Conqueror Worms by Briane Keene.

<sigh>

I just think Keene is an author I'll just never "get."
                            I'm with you on that one. I've tried a few of his novels - The Rising, Dead Sea and Earthworm Gods, plus various short stories. Not for me, either.

Comment

Have gone back to The Century's Best Horror Fiction, Vol. 1. Ready for 1917.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Have started the anthologies 'New Terrors' and 'New Terrors 2'. Early 80's goodness!
                                Also randomly reading stories from 'A Book of Horrors'. John Ajvide Lindqvist’s ‘The Music of Bengt Karlsson, Murderer’ is a brilliant story, highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                                X