Page 13 of 216 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Yea, it should be good the first one in this arc was good. This series is making a good bridge from the early series prequils to the original series.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Just started reading "The Sword of Shannara" series again. It's been ages
    Same here.
    I used to read Terry brooks faithfully, was really fond of the Shannara series, but somehow this feeling peetered out.
    Running With the Demon might have been the last book I've read. I don't even remember..

sk

Quote Originally Posted by theenormityofitall View Post
    I need to broaden my horizons....because of your post, I'm going to try another Simmons book. I need something good....I have to see exactly what I have by the guy.
    The Terror is something really good.
    But it's a huge novel, and as you seem te have a hard time sticking-to-it, I don't know if I'd recommend it.
    They don't come much better, though.

sk

I've read it before and was not too impressed.
    Of course I had to order the limited. Maybe re-rerading it will change my mind.

sk

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tito_Villa's Avatar
    Thats one i want to read. Siep what did you think of 'The Very Best of Best New Horror'? did you have a favourite story? (i assume that you have finished)

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Prince of Thorns Mark Lawrence. Not bad. And Shadow's Son Jon Sprunk. Again not bad. Quick Summer reads.

MDH

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    Siep what did you think of 'The Very Best of Best New Horror'? did you have a favourite story? (i assume that you have finished)
    Yes, I have.
    Overall, I really liked this book. More strong stories than weak ones. Come to think of it, there were no weak stories - maybe a few I wasn't too fond of.

Stand-outs: No Sharks in the Med, The Church on the Island, Mr Clubb and Mr Cuff, White, My Death and Cleopatra Brimstone.

There were many more I really enjoyed, but these I particularly remember.

sk

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication theenormityofitall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    The Terror is something really good.
    But it's a huge novel, and as you seem te have a hard time sticking-to-it, I don't know if I'd recommend it.
    They don't come much better, though.

sk
    The Terror? I'm sure I don't have that one. I looked lastnight and I do have several signed books by him, but have no clue if they're worth anything. One is Summer Sketches, I think it is. I probably have more of his books but there's about 100 of mine in big plastic "boxes" under a bunch of book collecting "stuff". Anyway, back to the point lol, you say it's a big novel so you're right...I may have a hard time finishing it. It took me 2 weeks just to finish "1922" by King even though I liked it. But Carrion Comfort was pretty big too, but it was easier to finish that one years ago when I could still get into horror novels. I'll just look it up and put it in my Wishlist on Amazon. This post is WAY too long, but this forum made me interested in trying to read novels again.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication theenormityofitall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post
    Yes, I have.
    Overall, I really liked this book. More strong stories than weak ones. Come to think of it, there were no weak stories - maybe a few I wasn't too fond of.

Stand-outs: No Sharks in the Med, The Church on the Island, Mr Clubb and Mr Cuff, White, My Death and Cleopatra Brimstone.

There were many more I really enjoyed, but these I particularly remember.

sk
    Hey frik, I forgot to ask you, do you think the book Freak Show is worth reading? I ask because it seems like you've read everything lol. And I just have it sitting out with some other stuff when I was digging around in the closet lastnight.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Finally have 'In Laymon's Terms' in my hand. Only had time to read the introductions last night, do far so good!

Quote Originally Posted by theenormityofitall View Post
    Hey frik, I forgot to ask you, do you think the book Freak Show is worth reading? I ask because it seems like you've read everything lol.
    Only seems that way. I don't really read that much, as I'm a pretty slow reader and my job keeps me pretty busy.
    Freak Show I can't help you with - I've never even heard of it.

sk

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by srboone View Post
    Sooooooo...

You went on vaction, caught a nasty virus, finished your time in Pet Semetery (did your wife plant you there? That's touching actually, a nice twist on the book!) and now you've come back to us.

Cool! Welcome back, Pete!!
    Yup, sounds about right. She got me in the ground good and early though, that's the secret. I've come back alright though, except for a certain smell I can't seem to wash off...

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session TerryE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peteOcha View Post
    ..., except for a certain smell I can't seem to wash off...
    "It was the smell. She couldn't get rid of the smell. In the shower she used up all of the soap, the shampoo, the bubblebath, the perfume... The smell was still there. Have you ever burned an insect with a magnifying glass? Just once, long ago, when you were a kid and didn't know any better? There. You know it. You know the smell." - Alan Moore, "The Saga of the Swamp Thing" #29, "Love and Death"
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication Kealan Patrick Burke's Avatar
    Currently reading SACRED by Dennis Lehane.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    The Dark Tower series took me just under 6 weeks; have moved on to Timber Gray by Ronald Kelly.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Like many others here, I am currently reading In Laymon's Terms. Thoroughly enjoying the mix of personal remembrances of the man and the stories.

Junior Member Visitor Mac Campbell's Avatar
    Reading My Work is Not Yet Done, by Ligotti.

So far it's making me angry. A huge paragraph will describe one small idea; five long words are used when one small word will suffice. I like a more literate style of writing, but you need skill to write a long sentence. So far it's almost a parody of an over-reaching writer.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Endless Horror Tale's Avatar
    I just finished Hell Hollow last night. I'm thinking I'm going to start Looking Glass a little later this afternoon.

Junior Member Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Campbell View Post
    Reading My Work is Not Yet Done, by Ligotti.

So far it's making me angry. A huge paragraph will describe one small idea; five long words are used when one small word will suffice. I like a more literate style of writing, but you need skill to write a long sentence. So far it's almost a parody of an over-reaching writer.
    Ligotti's not for everyone...but I love his work. My Work is Not Yet Done isn't my favorite work of his -- but I honestly think it's probably one of his more accessible (least "literary") books. The novella (novelette?) The Last Feast of Harlequin might be one of his best. I'm working through his collection Grimscribe now.

Nicole

Junior Member Visitor
    I'm working through lots of horror short fiction collections and anthologies. I'm about 80% through Ellen Datlow's Darkness anthology, about half-done Ligotti's Grimscribe, 75% through an ebook of Algernon Blackwood stories (Four Weird Tales...that's how I'm tending to read these days. I never read an anthology or a collection all the way through. I always read a little of this, a little of that. Guess it's just one of the ways in which I'm a weirdo.