• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The HORROR!

apocalypse-now-brando-the-horror.jpg

the horror...
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by rusty23 View Post
      Started Salem's Lot. Sad to say, but I've never read it before.
      I have that as well. Saw the movie years ago, have the pb version sitting on my TBR list. I may have read it, or at least started it a long time ago, but I intend on hitting that one soon.

Comment

Started Salem's Lot. Sad to say, but I've never read it before.
        Same here! Two days ago.

Comment

"Cursed" by Benedict Jacka. Quite similar to the Dresden books, just a different kind of mage. Quite good, overall, but...

The one thing I really don't like about a lot of the urban fantasy I've read is that the authors write like they want readers to be able to start with any book and not feel left out by not starting at the beginning - but that means constantly reminding us of things we already know. Getting a lesson in magic and different types of mages and what they do is not necessary in every single book! Especially if you're doing a series that's already 3, 4, or 5 volumes. Whatever happened to "Gee, this is a series; it would probably make more sense to start reading it from the beginning"?? I mean, geez, if you want someone to read all your books, don't just rewrite the first one over and over with different names and slightly different situations and constantly tell us things you've already told us. Ahem.

Comment

The Loveliest Dead was better than the Garton short stories I've read led me to expect. It was predictable and could have pretty ho-hum, but it is exceptionally well-written, with great character development. It's also absolutely terrifying. I read most of it sitting alone in my basement and jumped outta my skin every time the phone rang.

Nearly 1000 pages in 2 1/2 days! I think I need a break. Time to walk my dog anyway....
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I read the prologues of a few books and The Mall of Cthulhu by Seamus Cooper caught my attention, so that's next. It's a tongue-in-cheek Lovecraftian adventure. One of the books I got from Nightshade during it's 50% off sale.
              Last edited by srboone; 12-02-2012, 10:46 AM.
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I'm not Sam. Just got done with the intro, and about to dig in to the actual story.

Comment

The Mall of Cthulhu was a riot. Reminded me of the silliness that the Call of Cthulhu games I've mastered sometimes devolved into when players have had their fill of grimness and despair. I never equated insanity with boredom in CoC. Neat idea!

The Lair of the White Worm is next on my TBR.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I would like to make a quick comment that The Wheel by Bentley Little in CD #64 is a fantastic short story.

Comment

"Every Love Story Is A Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace" by D.T. Max. DFW is one of my favorite authors. So wordy yet so interesting, and quite hilarious in a reserved way when he wanted to be.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                        The HORROR!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10915[/ATTACH]

the horror...
                        LOL. And, now I can't put the book down!! I actually read it while watching the Giant's game last night, and missed half the game! Which is a good thing, since I missed them loosing the game.

Comment

Reading Fatal Error the next to last repairman Jack book.I highly recommend this series.It is outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                            Reading Fatal Error the next to last repairman Jack book.I highly recommend this series.It is outstanding.
                            Working my way through the series too. Finished Hosts right before I started Salem's Lot. Problem is, now I'm looking for S/L editions of all these books. Why do I do this to myself....

Comment

Working my way through the series too. Finished Hosts right before I started Salem's Lot. Problem is, now I'm looking for S/L editions of all these books. Why do I do this to myself....
                              We all do it to ourselves...eventually we all give in, have fun for a while (until funds get short). Somewhere in the GD section there's a support group thread--hasn't been used for a while though.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Finished Burial Ground by Michael McBride and Third Gate by Lincoln Child. BG was good but I thought McBride was bit all over the place with his characters, in that he jumped around a lot, which isn't a bad thing but I had trouble figuring out whose point of view he was on sometimes.

Starting on Whispers Underground by Ben Aaronovitch and maybe something else.

Comment

Working...
                                X