Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All good reads!
    Originally posted by jester05jk View Post
    Ok decisions have been made... I'm going to read 4 books, watch 29 movies, and 4 tv shows for the month of October. Plus whatever else randomly gets thrown into the mix. Sounds like a lot but I only sleep 4 hours a day on average. Only going to list the books;

October Dreams
    The Crane House
    Orangefield by Sarrantonio
    Halloween Mouse by Laymon

Comment

Finished The Taking. Did not care for it. It would have made a great novella.

Then I read Without Purpose Without Pity by Brian Hodge. Not bad but not his best.
      Now to go through my TBR list and get ready for some Holloween reads.I do plan on reading Ghost Story this month.Not sure what else.Maybe The Watching by Paul Melniczek and maybe Shivers 1.

Comment

I recently finished The Concrete Grove by Gary McMahon. It's a good, if bleak, read from a writer based in the North of England.

Being from Oop North myself the line of dialogue: "I'm so hungry I could eat a scabby horse!" earned an instant extra star from this reader!

Up next: Silent Voices by the same author. That's what you get when you start reading a trilogy, I suppose!

Oh, and hi everyone. Newbie here!
        The home of your least humble servant, Mr Poll: http://lucianpoll.com
        Then, of course, there's the Twitter thing: @LucianPoll
        ...oh, and the Facebook thing too: https://www.facebook.com/lucian.poll

Comment

Welcome Lucian.Now you must start a collectors thread so we can see your books.We love books here.

Comment

Trying to get another new collectors thread started! that must be why mine says as requested by bookworm.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome, bookworm. At the risk of going off-topic briefly, I've had a look at a few collectors threads and I fear mine would be a short one! Being a fairly long-term subscriber to the magazine I can give you a shot of issues 39 onwards and a sprinkling of Grave Tales, but no CD books I'm afraid.

I do have a few signed copies of other publishers' books courtesy of a (sadly long-gone) local cult bookshop here in the UK, when they used to host the occasional evening with the author. I can give you a shot of Christopher Fowler's Full Dark House hardback with an incorrect cover, dedicated to me and signed by the author, if that appeals. (The author regaled us with a story about how the first couple of hundred copies leaked out with an error on the cover, and I was delighted to find my copy was one of them. Of course the error could easily have affected the whole print run, but I'm sticking by the story!) Other than that you're looking at regular hardbacks and paperbacks from all round the bookshop, and a TBR pile to rival the Tower Of Babel!

Comment

Welcome Lucian! Any collection thread is welcomed without regard to size, please jump in.
                Originally posted by Lucian Poll View Post
                Thanks for the warm welcome, bookworm. At the risk of going off-topic briefly, I've had a look at a few collectors threads and I fear mine would be a short one! Being a fairly long-term subscriber to the magazine I can give you a shot of issues 39 onwards and a sprinkling of Grave Tales, but no CD books I'm afraid.

I do have a few signed copies of other publishers' books courtesy of a (sadly long-gone) local cult bookshop here in the UK, when they used to host the occasional evening with the author. I can give you a shot of Christopher Fowler's Full Dark House hardback with an incorrect cover, dedicated to me and signed by the author, if that appeals. (The author regaled us with a story about how the first couple of hundred copies leaked out with an error on the cover, and I was delighted to find my copy was one of them. Of course the error could easily have affected the whole print run, but I'm sticking by the story!) Other than that you're looking at regular hardbacks and paperbacks from all round the bookshop, and a TBR pile to rival the Tower Of Babel!

Comment

Yea.Please do.I almost forgot about The Crane House and after what I went through to snag a copy of it you would think that would be high on my list of October reads.
                  Well now it is.SO for October I will be reading.
                  The Running man(yes I know it is not holloween related but this meets my goal of reading the 4 early Bachmans this year.)
                  Ghost Story
                  The Crane House
                  The Watching
                  In A Dark Dream by Charles L. Grant.
                  Blood Harvest
                  and Shivers 1
                  That should get me through most of the month as I have a busy October with scout stuff most weekends.

Comment

I've been away for a week or so, but I have to add my welcome to Lucian. Even small collectors threads are welcome. Especially if it's stuff we haven't seen before.
                    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome, TerryE. I've taken a few snaps of my meagre possessions, but sadly my forum account seems to be in a state of limbo. I get the occasional email saying I need to activate my account, but the links don't seem to unlock me. As a result I cannot post attachments. I've emailed Dan about it, so should have a thread up and running for you all shortly.

While we are on the (off-)topic of collections I was in the middle of throwing out a load of old CDs, videos and PC games when I came across a fairly impenetrable PC game called Schizm. It too was about to meet its fate in the crushing jaws of the rubbish truck until I noticed it was written by a certain Terry Dowling. After CD #66 I might give it another go. I'll add it to the (ahem!) collection.

Back on topic, Silent Voices by Gary McMahon is on a par with The Concrete Grove (i.e. good), with an excellent bare-knuckle boxing scene and a satisfyingly twisty end. Still bleak, though! I'll have to wait for the final book, Beyond Here Lies Nothing, as it's a birthday present. In the meantime I'll plough through some real-life horror: Twelve Days - Revolution 1956 by Victor Sebestyen. It's some last-minute research before I fling myself into my inaugural NaNoWriMo attempt. After that I have some shameful gaps in my Clive Barker reading to fill.

Comment

Lucian, you should just have to wait it out. If I recall correctly, you're on a "probationary" type period for the first 5 or 10 posts. Probably to keep the spam bots at bay.

Comment

Started reading Bullettime yesterday and enjoying it so far. Next I will try reading Devil of Echo Lake. Echo Lake was one I saw through Cemetery Dance that sounded like it might be good, but also sounded like something I wouldn't care for, so trying to win an ARC seemed to be the best way to see if I actually liked the book.
                          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                          Spoiler!

Comment

Reading The Crane House today.So far very good. I love how all these guys worked together to make this come together.They really were paying attention to what was written before them.
                            I am also reading In A Dark Dream.Another good book.When I finish these 2 it will be time for Ghost Story.One that I have never read that I should have by now.

Comment

Let's see.. still on "Kill the Dead" and "The Watchers." Picked up two short story collections from the library today - "House of Fear" and "The Weird", which has a ton of stories ranging from 1906 to 2010. I'll have to buy that one eventually.

Comment

Just started Brimstone, which is #5 in Preson/Child's Pendergast books. I LOVE that series!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X