Page 11 of 216 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Craig Wallwork's Avatar
    Reading a story about a man who ate a boeing 747, which i think is almost the title of the book. It's fiction, of course, and the author's surname is Sherwood, i think. You can tell i pay attention to titles and authors. I do, but generally it's after I've read the book. If they make me go back and memorise their name, then it's safe to say I like them.
    Last edited by Craig Wallwork; 08-05-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Finished The Wolves of the Calla; It's well-written, better than I remembered, but it still rings hollow for me, mostly because of pop culture references and rehash of previous King material. But it's narrative flow is much better than W&G.

Spoiler!

Warming up my pipes to sing Song of Susannah--an off key version of it, but..
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed HorrorScribe's Avatar
    Just finished the first Shivers anthology last night. Started CD Magazine #43 (yeah, I know, I'm waaaaaay behind on my CD reading). PLan to pick up a novel tonight. The most likely candidate is Christopher Golden's first novel (and also the first book in an ongoing series): Of Saints and Shadows. It's been a while since I've read an original Golden book (one not part of an established universe).

UPDATE: When I got home Friday night, I still figured on reading Of Saints & Shadows. But when I went over to my bookcase, Peter Straub's The Throat grabbed me by...well, the throat. So I'm now about 130 pages in as of 6:15 AM this morning (8/8/11). What a gripping novel so far!
    Last edited by HorrorScribe; 08-08-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    I'm safe here because I've already taken the journey to the Dark Tower.

Senior Member Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... srboone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peteOcha View Post
    "I'm a vegan. "

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peteOcha View Post
    Yes, but Ka IS a wheel, so you'll have to read it again....and again....and...

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Now about 2/3 through Wicked Things by Thomas Tessier. As I posted earlier I read the novella included in the book first and really liked it. I have to say each of the stories in this book are worth the price of admission. Very impressed with my first two stories by Mr. Tessier and looking forward to more in the future.
    Have just started Wicked Things. I don't think I have previously read anything by Mr Tessier but so far so good. Can't really comment on the story yet as am only 2-3 chapters in.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar

It has been a while since I read any short stories.
    So far I'm really enjoying this book.

sk

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    I have completed 'Wicked Things' and really enjoyed both stories, including the implied links to the two stories. I was at a loss on what to start next since 'In Laymon's Terms' and 'Dark Delicacies' are on their way and I have been wanting to read 'In Laymon's Terms' for quite some time. The post from Frik51 reminded me that I had 'The Very Best of Best new Horror' to read still. I will start that today and get a few shorts stories read while waiting for 'In Laymon's Terns' to make it's way across the country.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Finished up King Blood while on vacation and also read Alone by Brian Keene and A View From the Lake by Greg F. Gifune, all 3 great reads and have started on Cronin's The Passage

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tito_Villa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frik51 View Post

It has been a while since I read any short stories.
    So far I'm really enjoying this book.

sk
    Just started it this morning too!!!

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Endless Horror Tale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I have completed 'Wicked Things' and really enjoyed both stories, including the implied links to the two stories.
    I've been making a lot more time for reading the past couple weeks (trying to get in as much as I can before my workload gets much heavier). I haven't previoulsy read any Tessier, but I started "Wicked Things" yesterday and am enjoying it so far. I'll probably finish that up tonight or tomorrow, and then I'll probably start "Hell Hollow or "The Painted Darkness".

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication theenormityofitall's Avatar
    I agree on both accounts.
    Carrion Comfort is awesome - my personal Simmons' favorite.
    Drood...mwah...I think my least favorite so far.

I'm about to start on Flashback.
    Anyone here read it?
    Worth my time?
    (Duhh......we're talking Simmons here!)

sk

Oops...I think my mwah is a Dutchism here.....
    I think maybe Carrion Comfort was like his "one hit" like they say with rock bands "One Hit Wonders" like Aldo Nova or Red Rider. You should probably move on now that you read CC lol.

Simmons a one hit wonder??
    You can't be serious. He's an amazingly versatile author -much more so than Stephen King-, who knows how to tell a tale.
    He has written some great fantasy/science fiction (Hyperion/Endymion), some grrrrreat horror stuff (Summer of Night is one of the best vampire tales ever, and I urge everyone to read The Terror - awesome!)
    And this is only the tip of the iceberg.

sk

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed HorrorScribe's Avatar
    I'm also a devoted Simmons fan. Because his books tend to be hefty, it takes me a while to get around to reading them. Still have about seven waiting, but I think I'll read The Terror next based on frik51's suggestion. (Thank you!) And for those daunted by a book in excess of 500 pages (as I am with so little time to read these days), I highly recommend one of Simmons' story collections--Prayers to Broken Stones and Lovedeath--in order to get a taste of what he's capable of but in small bites. Of all of his books, I've read Fires of Eden twice as it's my personal favorite so far. Not only did it act as my introduction to this exceptional author, but it remains one of the best books I've ever read within the speculative fiction genre and outside of it.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Endless Horror Tale's Avatar
    Simmons a one hit wonder??
    You can't be serious. He's an amazingly versatile author -much more so than Stephen King-, who knows how to tell a tale.
    He has written some great fantasy/science fiction (Hyperion/Endymion), some grrrrreat horror stuff (Summer of Night is one of the best vampire tales ever, and I urge everyone to read The Terror - awesome!)
    And this is only the tip of the iceberg.

sk
    I'm pretty much a Simmons newbie. "Summer of Night" popped up as an Amazon recommendation, so I read that and "A Winter Haunting" back to back. I have "Hyperion" and "Fall of Hyperion" in my to-be-read stack, but wanted to read some other authors before I came back to Simmons.

I haven't fully formed an opinion yet based on just the two books, but they both left me feeling a little cold. They weren't terrible by any means (I finished them both, so they can't have been that bad), I just didn't find them completely satisfying. Parts of both seemed unintentionally comical, particularly the hackneyed handling of some of the Crowley / occult elements in "Summer of Night". I guess the "kids-in-supernatural-danger" genre doesn't leave you anywhere to go but down when you start with "It" (which I borrowed from my uncle's bookshelf and read back in '87 when I was 12).

I've heard some good things about the Hyperion books, so maybe I'll enjoy those more.

Quote Originally Posted by HorrorScribe View Post
    I'm also a devoted Simmons fan. I think I'll read The Terror next based on frik51's suggestion. (Thank you!)
    Youre welcome. Please do let us know how/if you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Horror Tale View Post
    I've heard some good things about the Hyperion books, so maybe I'll enjoy those more.
    I do hope so. These books don't make for casual, light reading. It's science fiction on a grand scale, pretty horrific at times, but never boring. (although I know people who think differently).
    Enjoy!

sk

Currently reading Kurt Vonnegut's THE SIRENS OF TITAN.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Tito_Villa's Avatar
    Patrick i have heard a lot of people reading Kurt's work but have no real idea of what sort of stuff he writes, horror, science fiction, some other???

He writes a little of everything, usually in one book; all is in a satirical vein. I've only read Breakfast of Champions, tho.
    "I'm a vegan. "