Page 218 of 218 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218
Results 4,341 to 4,348 of 4348

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Just finished MY PRETTIES by Jeff Strand; read it over just a couple nights. An entertaining read, as usual from Strand, and certainly more in the vein of his darker works like PRESSURE. There was still some humor to be found, but it took a distinct backseat this time around to some straight-forward suspense and horror, which truth be told, I found kind of refreshing. I still love his horror/humor books as well, but he's had a recent string of those and it was nice to revisit that earlier, darker vibe.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    I will have to look this one up. I have always like Jeff Strand with Dweller probably being my favorite of those that I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Just finished MY PRETTIES by Jeff Strand; read it over just a couple nights. An entertaining read, as usual from Strand, and certainly more in the vein of his darker works like PRESSURE. There was still some humor to be found, but it took a distinct backseat this time around to some straight-forward suspense and horror, which truth be told, I found kind of refreshing. I still love his horror/humor books as well, but he's had a recent string of those and it was nice to revisit that earlier, darker vibe.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar
    The Second Vatican Council (an unwritten story) by Roberto de Mattei
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I will have to look this one up. I have always like Jeff Strand with Dweller probably being my favorite of those that I've read.
    DWELLER is my favorite as well, followed by PRESSURE...those two lead my Strand ranking. MY PRETTIES falls a bit lower than those two...probably in the upper-mid range of my ranking of all his work. There's a simplicity about the story that works both for and against it, the latter particularly so when comparing it against some of his more complex/rich books.

But I would say those two belong in the same end of the Strand spectrum as MY PRETTIES...darker, more serious than humorous, with more focus on character than jokey, over-the-top banter and situations.

Started REMAINS by Andrew Cull.

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Started REMAINS by Andrew Cull.
    Meh...ended up skimming the last third.

On to Scalzi’s OLD MAN’S WAR.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Mind of Winter by Laura Kasischke. A really good slow burn of a book. Takes place during a blizzard on Christmas day.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I finished reading Politics Is Murder (Vintage paperback) by Edwin Lanham. Politics Is Murder was a complex whodunnit and quite enjoyable. I have not gone back to reading Dracula. I'm now reading Nightmare Alley by William Lindsay Gresham.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.