Page 194 of 198 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,880 of 3957

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I finished reading Japan in the Second World War in Color by David Batty. There was some info. I wasn't aware of and the last chapter was revealing.
    I read Homicide Lost by William Vance and started The Circus In Winter by Cathy Day which I'm enjoying. I have not yet gone back to reading The Transfiguration Of Mister Punch.

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 11-24-2018 at 05:01 AM.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Currently reading UNDERSTUDY FOR DEATH by Charles Willeford, the recent tpb reprint by Hard Case Crime. Excited to finally get a chance to read this one, as the original pb from 1961 is rather expensive.

Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Currently reading UNDERSTUDY FOR DEATH by Charles Willeford, the recent tpb reprint by Hard Case Crime. Excited to finally get a chance to read this one, as the original pb from 1961 is rather expensive.
    Ron, have you read his autobiographies, I was looking for a street by Charles Ray Willeford, 1988 and Something About a Soldier, 1988? Fantastic books. Also Don Herron's Willeford, 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Ron, have you read his autobiographies, I was looking for a street by Charles Ray Willeford, 1988 and Something About a Soldier, 1988? Fantastic books. Also Don Herron's Willeford, 1997.
    Yes, I’ve read all but SOLDIER, and someday I’ll get around to that; I’m a big Willeford fan (though of his standalones...didn’t care nearly as much for his mainstream mystery trilogy).

Interestingly, my HC copy of WILLEFORD has hand-written corrections by Herron. It’s the finished product, though, so not really too sure what the story is behind that. Maybe Dennis McMillan let too many proofing errors slip through and I was lucky enough to find a copy of it that Herron vented his frustration on…?

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Yes, I’ve read all but SOLDIER, and someday I’ll get around to that; I’m a big Willeford fan (though of his standalones...didn’t care nearly as much for his mainstream mystery trilogy).

Interestingly, my HC copy of WILLEFORD has hand-written corrections by Herron. It’s the finished product, though, so not really too sure what the story is behind that. Maybe Dennis McMillan let too many proofing errors slip through and I was lucky enough to find a copy of it that Herron vented his frustration on…?
    Soldier is intriguing because if Willeford had stayed in the Philippines a few years longer, he would have ended up dead or in a Japanese POW camp. He ended up winning a Silver Star as a Tank Destroyer commander at the battle of the Bulge. Thought the series books weren't his best, they were going to finally provide him with the commercial success that he yearned for, for years. I felt bad that he died just before that really big contract came through. Surely a noirish life lol. Really interesting guy. I highly recommend Something About a Soldier if you get a chance. It closes the circle.
    Last edited by mhatchett; 10-10-2018 at 10:45 PM.

You definitely sold me on SOLDIER. :-)

Not sure yet what I think of UNDERSTUDY...almost halfway through,but think I’ll need to finish it before making a judgment.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar
    Just finishing my second collection by William Trevor. The first was Beyond The Pale and the one that I'm finishing is Cheating At Canasta.

Very good stories, and excellent writing from a frequent contributor to The New Yorker. Trevor was an Irish Protestant, and most of his stories take place in Ireland and England.

I'll probably read at least one, if not two, of his other collections before I call it a day.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    I just now finished reading Heavy Duty: Days and Nights in Judas Priest by K.K. Downing. I bought the signed version from Premiere Collectibles.

If you're a lifelong fan of Judas Priest like myself you would likely find it an informative and enjoyable read. If not, it probably wouldn't interest you much.

I just finished my yearly reading of Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October, on of my favorite Halloween reads. About a 1/4 of the way through World of Trouble, the third book in Ben Winter's Last Policeman Series. Next up, Russell Kirkpatrick's Across the Face of the World, the first book in his Fire of Heaven trilogy, I'm really looking forward to this bit of Epic Fantasy!!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar
    I've continued reading Randalls Round by Eleanor Scott.

Very enjoyable stories reminiscent of M.R. James. Recommended.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    I'm reading Children Of The Dark by Jonathan Janz . This is by far one of the best books I have read. 3/4 of the way through it and wish I had more it up last year in my TBR pile. This is one emotional rollercoaster of a book.

Starting Grady Hendrix' new one, WE SOLD OUR SOULS. Got it signed a few weeks away when he came through town.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Finished Children of The Night a few days ago. Very highly recommended. I'm now a little over a quarter way through Ushers Passing. This is a very good book and perfect October reading.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Almost nearly done reading Darwyn Cooke's The New Frontier from DC comics.

This was one of the recommendations from a couple of friends when an on-line store was having an extra special sale on DC books.

It's been a fun ride - but I feel like my lack of familiarity with the Golden and Silver Age characters is limiting my enjoyment. It always seems like there is more happening but I'm not aware of it. I guess it's kind of like being the new kid in a group of friends and they all have inside jokes and history.

Regardless, Cooke's artwork is top notch.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Reluctantly downloaded the ebook. The price of the PB plus shipping didn't make sense. The library didn't have this and neither did the bookstore. Looking forward to reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    I'm reading Children Of The Dark by Jonathan Janz . This is by far one of the best books I have read. 3/4 of the way through it and wish I had more it up last year in my TBR pile. This is one emotional rollercoaster of a book.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I started Weak and Wounded by Brian James Freeman and am enjoying it. I have not yet gone back to reading The Transfiguration Of Mister Punch. I did finish The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day. That was a really good and fun book to read.

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 11-24-2018 at 05:02 AM.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    I started Weak and Wounded by Brian James Freeman and am enjoying it. I have not yet gone back to reading The Transfiguration Of Mr. Punch. I did finish The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day. That was a really good and fun book to read.

Cap
    I have enjoyed all of Mr. Freeman's work and love how the stories are grouped in themes.

Senior Member Hearing Voices jeffingoff's Avatar
    I'm reading THE COMPLETE BORNE by Jeff VanderMeer and loving it. I'm regretting passing on the Southern Reach Trilogy.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I'm reading THE COMPLETE BORNE by Jeff VanderMeer and loving it. I'm regretting passing on the Southern Reach Trilogy.
    Never regret. There will always be more books.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    Never regret. There will always be more books.
    I'll counter this sentiment and say that you SHOULD regret not picking up The Southern Reach Trilogy as the first book is a masterpiece!

All teasing aside, I'm glad that you are enjoying THE COMPLETE BORNE. I received my copy yesterday and look forward to digging into it...at some point in the future because my reading habits have gone to pot over the last couple of years.