What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    On a different note I'm really curious about the new book from the author of The Martian. I really loved The Martian, but I have a hard time believing that he can capture that same feeling in another book.
    I just finished it, and I really enjoyed it. It felt like a modern version of a Heinlein novel, and I found the story and the characters entirely plausible.

Comment

I thought I saw a Book Review section and now I can't locate it. I just finished reading The Book Of Baby Names by Norman Prentiss. At first, I had trouble reading TBoBN. This author's writing style made me re-read part of the first story. In the end, I really liked and enjoyed this book. I thought the Introduction before the stories and the Afterword made this a very cleverly done book. This is one I got in the CD Dinged Grab Bag purchase.

Cap
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I have spent a bit of time on planes and at airports this past week, and plenty of time to read/listen.
        On the recommendations above, I grabbed an ebook of The Impossible Fortress by Jason Rekulak due to Dave's recommendation. I raced through that and enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks, Dave!
        I finished the audiobook of Joe Hill's Strange Weather. Not my favourite of his works - Loaded was fantastic, Aloft and Rain were ok. I had already read Snapshot 1988 in CD mag so I skipped it.
        This morning I started listening to John Dies at the End by David Wong. I am about an hour into it but not loving it so far.
        I am also halfway through The Invention of Happiness by Brian W Aldiss. 34 stories in 100 odd pages. I am liking it. In the preface, the author explains that he tried to write a short story every day - hence the brevity. As you might expect, some are better than others, but if you don't like the one you're reading, there'll be another one along any minute. Different, but good.

Comment

^^^ Glad you enjoyed it!

This is my list for the month so far.

322 11/01/17 Clegg, Douglas The Nightmare Chronicles
          323 11/01/17 Grisham, John The Rooster Bar
          324 11/02/17 Connelly, Michael Two Kinds of Truth
          325 11/02/17 Rollins, James Ghost Ship
          326 11/03/17 Sandford, John Deep Freeze
          327 11/04/17 Child, Lee The Midnight Line
          328 11/05/17 Button, Jenson Life to the Limit
          329 11/06/17 Archer, Jeffrey Tell Tale
          330 11/06/17 Dionne, Karen The Marsh King's Daughter
          331 11/08/17 Hunter, Stephen G-Man
          332 11/09/17 Brookmyre, Christopher The Last Hack
          333 11/10/17 Goldman, Matt Gone to Dust
          334 11/11/17 Wilson, Robert Charles Last Year
          335 11/12/17 Sternbergh, Adam The Blinds
          336 11/12/17 Woods, Stuart Quick & Dirty
          337 11/13/17 Dolby, Thomas The Speed of Sound
          338 11/14/17 Laukkanen, Owen The Forgotten Girls
          339 11/15/17 Weir, Andy Artemis
          340 11/16/17 Christie, William A Single Spy
          341 11/17/17 Baldacci, David End Game

Comment

Wow, You read a lot Dave!

I have recently just finished the Brookmyre on your list (although where I live it's called Want You Gone).
            I think I 'll start on Artemis next.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
              Wow, You read a lot Dave!

I have recently just finished the Brookmyre on your list (although where I live it's called Want You Gone).
              I think I 'll start on Artemis next.
              This is the first year I've ever kept track of what I read I used to tell people I read 300 books a year, but it's looking like it'll be around 380-390 for the year. So many books, so little time!

Comment

I have no idea how you can do that. Even if the only thing I did was read, as in no work, no play, just read, I'm not sure I could do that.

Comment

About a book a day? Couldn't do it either LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                    I have no idea how you can do that. Even if the only thing I did was read, as in no work, no play, just read, I'm not sure I could do that.
                    That would be pretty easy for me.....if they were Little Golden Books.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
                      That would be pretty easy for me.....if they were Little Golden Books.
                      LOL. Do comics count?

Comment

I am over half way through Where the Dead go to Die. A really good book. Kind of turns the whole Zombie genre on it's head. I like when that happens. This is up there with Slowly We Rot and The Changed as great alternative Zombie stories.

Comment

I just started the Robert Jordon Wheel of time series. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                            I just started the Robert Jordon Wheel of time series. So far, so good.
                            That's a series that has always intrigued me, but also daunted me. It's too big, and I've heard some less than positive reviews of the middle books. Though from what it's worth I've heard that the books that Sanderson co-writes are actually quite good.

Comment

I felt the same way, but decided to take the plunge after all these years. The first one is pretty good so far. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

I just finished Dark Advent by Brian Hodge, which I later found was a revised version of one of his earliest works. It's also the first of his books that I read. The Stand is probably my all-time favourite book, so the similarities between TS and DA were apparent immediately. It was interesting reading the Afterword when BH explained that he had sketched out the novel before TS was published. And for me, while it is part of the post Apocalypse genre, it stood on it's own pretty well. A thoroughly enjoyable (and easy) read.
                                I'm yet to read Swan Song by McCammon, but that will happen soon. So no need to recommend it to me!
                                I've started Mad Dogs by Brian Hodge now. I'm interested to see how his more recent writing compares to that in DA.

Still listening to Sleeping Beauties - it's long but I'm almost there. I can't say I'm loving it but I will persist.

Comment

Working...
                                X