Page 208 of 212 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,160 of 4230

Thread: What are you currently reading?

  1. #4141
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,527
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I have the DARK MASTERS trilogy in my sights if I like this one. I’m reading it in BEST NEW HORROR #25 that I found on clearance at HPB for $2.00. DARK MASTERS has piqued my interest for some time, so when I saw this a couple months ago and noted that it had Volk’s novella, I snatched it up (it also had THE GIST by Michael Marshall Smith).
    Ended up skimming the second half after finding the first half a bit of a drudge...the second half was only marginally better. A number of reasons why, but not worth the effort to go into detail. Oh well, at least it saves me the money for the limited trilogy.

  2. #4142
    Member Part-timer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    45
    Rep Power
    0
    Half way through The Chalk Man by CJ Tudor and thoroughly enjoying it!

    B

  3. #4143
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    3
    I finally started my ARC of Grady Hendrix's WE SOLD OUR SOULS. I was so excited to get this, roughly a year ago, and then I could never bring myself to crack it open. I think it was because of my general distaste for Horror novels that take place in the world of Rock musicians. I have yet to read one that rang true, and I can't stand the endless passages of:
    "He ran his hands lovingly up the frets, caressing high G and making it purr like a kitten with a cooch full of rabid weasels, as the amp squealed the way that Ozzy's sphincter did at Donnington during the "Tribute to Satan" tour....As his fingers bled, he lost himself to the feeling of the strings cutting into them, the pain giving way to the ecstasy that was....ROCK AND ROLL!"

    I'm up to page 61, and there has been a little bit of that so far....but I trust Hendrix enough to keep going.

  4. #4144
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    164
    Rep Power
    9
    Dude, we must've been separated at birth! I don't buy any novels that feature rock and roll bands. Too much ego-maniacal, nonsensical, floofy bullshit all up in thar!

    savalas.png
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  5. #4145
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,683
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by brlesh View Post
    Half way through The Chalk Man by CJ Tudor and thoroughly enjoying it!

    B
    I just finished it last Friday. I loved the beginning but it was a generous 3 stars for me.

  6. #4146
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,554
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    I finally started my ARC of Grady Hendrix's WE SOLD OUR SOULS. I was so excited to get this, roughly a year ago, and then I could never bring myself to crack it open. I think it was because of my general distaste for Horror novels that take place in the world of Rock musicians. I have yet to read one that rang true, and I can't stand the endless passages of:
    "He ran his hands lovingly up the frets, caressing high G and making it purr like a kitten with a cooch full of rabid weasels, as the amp squealed the way that Ozzy's sphincter did at Donnington during the "Tribute to Satan" tour....As his fingers bled, he lost himself to the feeling of the strings cutting into them, the pain giving way to the ecstasy that was....ROCK AND ROLL!"

    I'm up to page 61, and there has been a little bit of that so far....but I trust Hendrix enough to keep going.
    The HC is a gorgeous production.

  7. #4147
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed St. Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    4
    Kojak is the man.
    Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

  8. #4148
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    7
    I finished reading Racing the Sunrise: Reinforcing America's Pacific Outposts, 1941-1942 by Glen M Williford. I am now reading and enjoying Lost in Darkness by Jeffrey Thomas. I'm still reading Circus Boy Adventure Stories-based on the Circus Boy TV series.


    Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  9. #4149
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by njhorror View Post
    Dude, we must've been separated at birth! I don't buy any novels that feature rock and roll bands. Too much ego-maniacal, nonsensical, floofy bullshit all up in thar!

    savalas.png
    You are truly my brutha from anutha mutha.

  10. #4150
    Member Part-timer JasonUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm 150 pages into Thomas Harris's Cari Mora and I'm genuinely sad to say it's not very good. Fingers crossed for a rousing second half but I'm not that hopeful.

  11. #4151
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,813
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonUK View Post
    I'm 150 pages into Thomas Harris's Cari Mora and I'm genuinely sad to say it's not very good. Fingers crossed for a rousing second half but I'm not that hopeful.
    I am a little farther than you an at this point would give it a C. Part of that may be a result of high expectations. I am also left hoping for a rousing finish as well.

  12. #4152
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    164
    Rep Power
    9
    Three quarters of the way finished with Merrily Watkins Book 3, A Crown of Lights by Phil Rickman.
    I'm enjoying it very much and ordered numbers 4, 5, and 6.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  13. #4153
    Member Part-timer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    45
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I just finished it last Friday. I loved the beginning but it was a generous 3 stars for me.
    I liked it more than you did. It was a solid 4 stars for me. I found it to be a well paced book and an enjoyable story that always kept me wanting to get back to it.

    I really thought the book picked up in the second half, with all the revelations. I was left with a couple of questions at the end, either questions that weren't answered, or things I just missed as a reader, since there were so many revelations in the last third of the book.

    I know this was being compared to King's It & The Body, but to me it most brought to mind the novels Girl Gone & Sarah Pinborough's Behind Her Eyes. I liked both of those books, but I think I liked The Chalk Man a little better. I thought the ending was a little more plausible in TCM, even though it still had it's Scooby Doo stretch at the end, as all these stories seem to have.

    I'm looking forward to giving Tudor's next book a try.

    B.

  14. #4154
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,683
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by brlesh View Post
    I liked it more than you did. It was a solid 4 stars for me. I found it to be a well paced book and an enjoyable story that always kept me wanting to get back to it.

    I really thought the book picked up in the second half, with all the revelations. I was left with a couple of questions at the end, either questions that weren't answered, or things I just missed as a reader, since there were so many revelations in the last third of the book.

    I know this was being compared to King's It & The Body, but to me it most brought to mind the novels Girl Gone & Sarah Pinborough's Behind Her Eyes. I liked both of those books, but I think I liked The Chalk Man a little better. I thought the ending was a little more plausible in TCM, even though it still had it's Scooby Doo stretch at the end, as all these stories seem to have.

    I'm looking forward to giving Tudor's next book a try.

    B.
    Well, I'm glad you liked it more than I did. I went into slightly greater detail in my Goodreads review, but my problem with Chalk Man is that the main characters don't do anything. They're not active in the story apart from having things happen to them or around them.

    I've read a novella and a novel (They Say a Girl Died Here Once) by Sarah Pinborough and I loved both of them. I found Behind Her Eyes in the thrift shop and I'll read it at some point.

  15. #4155
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,601
    Rep Power
    54
    Just started Maigret and the Wine Merchant by Georges Simenon, 1970.

  16. #4156
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,862
    Rep Power
    63
    Starting The Silence by Tim Lebbon . Also reading The Journal of Jeremy Todd by John Quick.

  17. #4157
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    3
    I just finished The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin and thoroughly enjoyed it. I resisted the temptation to keep going with the trilogy and decided on a quickie - Joe Lansdale's Prisoner 489. I am thinking I will jump into Justin Cronin's City of Mirrors next, although I may save that for an audiobook.

  18. #4158
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    667
    Rep Power
    7
    I finished reading Circus Boy Adventure Stories. It was an excellent mystery based on the Circus Boy TV series. I finished Lost in Darkness by Jeffrey Thomas. This is simply the best book I've read in a long time. Now, I'm reading I'll Bring You The Birds From Out Of The Sky by Brian Hodge and Vessels (Timmy Quinn series-Book 3) by Kealan Patrick Burke.


    Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 06-03-2019 at 03:18 AM.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

  19. #4159
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,601
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Just started Maigret and the Wine Merchant by Georges Simenon, 1970.
    Finished this up. I have to say I very impressed. Usually, I'm a very noir/gritty fan, but I enjoyed the gentle domestic touches in this story. One to the next one, but before that, I'm reading Leo Carew's The Wolf, Darkish epic Fantasy, you might like this one Slayn666!

  20. #4160
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    1
    Currently reading the DRP limited of Richard Laymon's Funland

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 Reading Goals
    By srboone in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-04-2012, 10:53 PM
  2. Reading SK...
    By fmancino in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 03:09 PM
  3. Reading Habits
    By jester05jk in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 08:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •