Page 217 of 219 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219 LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,340 of 4367

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    The reviews on this one were lukewarm, and unfortunately they were correct. Oh well.

Now onto THE MURDER OF JESUS CHRIST by John R. Little, published by, I think, Bad Moon Books.
    How did you like "The Murder of Jesus Christ"?
    I enjoyed it. Little is great at time travel.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatic View Post
    How did you like "The Murder of Jesus Christ"?
    I enjoyed it. Little is great at time travel.
    I love John Little’s work, and have enjoyed everything he’s written (and believe I’ve read it all)...but this one, this one just did not click with me at all. I made it about a third of the way, and ultimately threw in the towel, leaving it unfinished. Given my affinity for John’s work, it was a particularly disappointing (and surprising) experience.

Started Laura Lippman’s SUNBURN, and at just 40 pages in, I’m already about prepared to call it the best book I’ve read in a half-year. Hopefully it continues to impress.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I love John Little’s work, and have enjoyed everything he’s written (and believe I’ve read it all)...but this one, this one just did not click with me at all. I made it about a third of the way, and ultimately threw in the towel, leaving it unfinished. Given my affinity for John’s work, it was a particularly disappointing (and surprising) experience.
    That's too bad, sometimes you just have to be in the right mood.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I finished reading The Tips by Bill Walker (Not the same author who has two books published by CD). I left a review of The Tips at Amazon and donated the book at a thrift store. I'm starting Politics Is Murder (Vintage paperback) by Edwin Lanham. I have not gone back to reading Dracula.

Cap
    Last edited by c marvel; 01-08-2020 at 01:40 PM.
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Currently reading "Sarah Jane" by James Sallis. Took a chapter or two to get into the book's rhythm, but once I did, I could not put this book down. Amazing character study and dialogue. Really, everything I've ever read by Sallis has been fantastic. For my money, I don't know if there is currently a better Noir/Crime fiction writer out there! Would love a Sallis limited edition one day...

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Currently reading "Sarah Jane" by James Sallis. Took a chapter or two to get into the book's rhythm, but once I did, I could not put this book down. Amazing character study and dialogue. Really, everything I've ever read by Sallis has been fantastic. For my money, I don't know if there is currently a better Noir/Crime fiction writer out there! Would love a Sallis limited edition one day...
    I am not familiar with this author. Thanks for the mention, I will check him out.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I am not familiar with this author. Thanks for the mention, I will check him out.
    Stop! Read Drive before you read anything else! Sallis is one of the greatest writers of our generation in my opinion.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Stop! Read Drive before you read anything else! Sallis is one of the greatest writers of our generation in my opinion.
    So I looked the author up on the ol'interweb after a made that comment. I really enjoyed the movie Drive but did not know it was from a novel. Good chance I start there.

So I looked the author up on the ol'interweb after a made that comment. I really enjoyed the movie Drive but did not know it was from a novel. Good chance I start there.
    His Biography of Chester Himes is fantastic. He is a true Renaissance Man, he squeezes every bit of passion out of every word he puts on a page. this trilogy is another good place to go after you read Drive, What You Have Left: The Turner Trilogy (John Turner Series)

DRIVE is incredible, the sequel DRIVEN not so much. Still okay, but DRIVE is something special.

His Biography of Chester Himes is fantastic.
    Was there another one beyond this slim volume?

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...338480128?s=21

Was there another one beyond this slim volume?

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...338480128?s=21
    https://www.amazon.com/Chester-Himes...s=books&sr=1-1

It's a good one! And you're right Driven good Drive unbelievable.

https://www.amazon.com/Chester-Himes...s=books&sr=1-1

It's a good one! And you're right Driven good Drive unbelievable.
    Got to agree with Mhatchett. All the Sallis books he mentions rocks. I had never heard of Chester Himes before reading Sallis's biography of him. Afterward, went out and found everything I could get my hands on. Some good stuff there. I'm also lucky as I've been able to meet Sallis a bunch of times at his books signings at the Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Arizona (also the publisher of Drive, love this bookstore). Have also seen his band, Three-Legged Dog, a few times at the bookstore as well. Overall, a cool dude to meet if you get the chance.

Got to agree with Mhatchett. All the Sallis books he mentions rocks. I had never heard of Chester Himes before reading Sallis's biography of him. Afterward, went out and found everything I could get my hands on. Some good stuff there. I'm also lucky as I've been able to meet Sallis a bunch of times at his books signings at the Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Arizona (also the publisher of Drive, love this bookstore). Have also seen his band, Three-Legged Dog, a few times at the bookstore as well. Overall, a cool dude to meet if you get the chance.
    Three Legged Dog is also a pretty damn good wine!
    Three Legged Dog.jpgThree Legged Dog.jpg

Three Legged Dog is also a pretty damn good wine!
    Three Legged Dog.jpgThree Legged Dog.jpg
    That's too funny! Not the hugest of wine drinkers, but, I might have to snag a bottle to take to his next signing.

That's too funny! Not the hugest of wine drinkers, but, I might have to snag a bottle to take to his next signing.
    It is actually a really good table wine. I have only been to the winery once and the dog was not around.

Started Laura Lippman’s SUNBURN, and at just 40 pages in, I’m already about prepared to call it the best book I’ve read in a half-year. Hopefully it continues to impress.
    ...aaannd no, it’s not, unfortunately. Especially disappointing when a book starts off so strong.

...aaannd no, it’s not, unfortunately. Especially disappointing when a book starts off so strong.
    That is unfortunate. The 'inspired by The Postman Always Rings Twice' intrigued me.

That is unfortunate. The 'inspired by The Postman Always Rings Twice' intrigued me.
    It got better after that post; I should’ve waited until I finished it before passing judgment. I made that post at around the 3/4 and almost stopped, ready to call it a DNF (Did Not Finish). But I pushed through and it ended rather strong. My take on it, in thirds: The first third is a 9, the second third a 5, and the last third a 7. That makes it an average of 7...recommended, but not the fantastic read I was thinking it’d be.

And, yeah, the Cain’ian POSTMAN allusion is what drew me to it as well...in that regard, it generally delivers, though the strength of the character and her motivations is actually closer to MILDRED PIERCE.