What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jargendeli View Post
    Just finished WE SOLD OUR SOULS by Grady Hendrix. A solid read but not as engaging as his last two novels.

Jim
    I would definitely agree with that assessment.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I just finished the second of the Bobiverse books by Dennis E. Taylor (For We Are Many). I loved it. I will probably dive straight into the third book. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's a sort of Scalzi-esque view of the medium future of Earth and its expansion through the Galaxy. Very engaging and plenty to think about.
      I'm listening to Scalzi's Last Colony as I make my way through the Old Man's War series. Great stuff, but I'll probably take a break and go for Elevation next

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
        I just finished the second of the Bobiverse books by Dennis E. Taylor (For We Are Many). I loved it. I will probably dive straight into the third book. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's a sort of Scalzi-esque view of the medium future of Earth and its expansion through the Galaxy. Very engaging and plenty to think about.
        I'm listening to Scalzi's Last Colony as I make my way through the Old Man's War series. Great stuff, but I'll probably take a break and go for Elevation next
        I only have the final book in the Old Man's War series left. I enjoyed Last Colony. I will have to check out Dennis E. Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
          Finished the third story in Joe Hill's novella collection, Strange Weather, this morning. So far I'd say one really good story and two OK stories. Hoping the last story elevates this above just being an average collection.

B
          It was 2 out of 4 for me. Snapshot and Loaded were my favorites.

Comment

I was going to wait until the November: How Many thread kicks off, but I had to talk about this book a bit.

The Dogs by Jerrold Mundis: This book was described as "JAWS but with dogs" and that is about the worst description put to paper. That description gives the false impression that the book is a 1970s "animals attack" exploitation tale when what it really is a brutal indictment of how Man, through his ignorance and hubris, misunderstands and mistreats canines within society and the tragedy that ensues.

Mundis does an amazing job of not anthropomorphizing the dogs, instead describing their behavior in such a believable and realistic manner that you understand their motivations even if they are not that of a human and his simple, clean prose propels the story forward that I found myself speeding through page after page. Though the readability was high, this book took me a long time to read. I'm an avid dog lover so your personal mileage may vary, but I found this book to be a series of gut punches. There is one section detailing an illegal dog fight that is one of the most brutal--not exploitative, mind you--thing I've read in a long time. And as the book made it's way to its inexorable ending, things tend to get worse. While it doesn't quite stick the landing, the last twenty pages or so left me pretty devastated. Not since I read Koontz's Watchers when I was twelve has a book about animals hit me this hard.
            Spoiler!

No, this is not a thriller like Spielberg's shark flick. This is a tragedy with teeth. FIVE STARS

Comment

I liked THE DOGS quite a bit as well (read mine via the recent Centipede Press reprint...interestingly enough, a few weeks after I read that I saw the old mass-market paperback of it at a local used bookstore). I'd probably knock your rating down a bit and give it four stars for a few scenes that could have used a bit more polish, but it's definitely a winner and worth reading.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

In the past 3 months, I've been reading Stephen King books that I'd somehow neglected:

-The Tommyknockers (ugh)
                -The Dark Half
                -The Running Man (technically a Bachman book)
                -Misery
                -Dolores Claiborne
                -The Eyes of the Dragon
                -The Talisman

Currently reading:

-Black House

Comment

Originally posted by warlock664 View Post
                  In the past 3 months, I've been reading Stephen King books that I'd somehow neglected:

-The Tommyknockers (ugh)
                  -The Dark Half
                  -Misery
                  -Dolores Claiborne
                  -The Eyes of the Dragon
                  -The Talisman

Currently reading:

-Black House
                  The Tommyknockers was a tough read for me as well. I have not read The Talisman or Black House yet. The rest in your list I either liked or loved.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    I liked THE DOGS quite a bit as well (read mine via the recent Centipede Press reprint...interestingly enough, a few weeks after I read that I saw the old mass-market paperback of it at a local used bookstore). I'd probably knock your rating down a bit and give it four stars for a few scenes that could have used a bit more polish, but it's definitely a winner and worth reading.
                    I don't disagree with your point. In hindsight, and with a little distance from the emotion of the book, I'd say that it fits well in the four out of five star realm. The emotional impact that the book had on me bumped it up to five stars. Glad to hear that someone else read the book and enjoyed it.

I also want to give a little love to the style of Centipede's Vintage Horror line. THE DOGS was my first entry in the series and the pictures on the website don't do these books justice. Yes, they are a printed-on-boards hardcover with a die-cut dustjacket, but a lot nicer than I had anticipated. I have HELLHOUND on tap next from the series, but will probably fit another book or two before I dive into that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      The Tommyknockers was a tough read for me as well. I have not read The Talisman or Black House yet. The rest in your list I either liked or loved.
                      I really need to get around to THE TALISMAN and BLACK HOUSE. So many books, so little time...

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                        I don't disagree with your point. In hindsight, and with a little distance from the emotion of the book, I'd say that it fits well in the four out of five star realm. The emotional impact that the book had on me bumped it up to five stars. Glad to hear that someone else read the book and enjoyed it.

I also want to give a little love to the style of Centipede's Vintage Horror line. THE DOGS was my first entry in the series and the pictures on the website don't do these books justice. Yes, they are a printed-on-boards hardcover with a die-cut dustjacket, but a lot nicer than I had anticipated. I have HELLHOUND on tap next from the series, but will probably fit another book or two before I dive into that one.
                        Read Hellhound a while back and really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                          I really need to get around to THE TALISMAN and BLACK HOUSE. So many books, so little time...
                          These are two of the three books by King I have not read yet. The other is The Wind Through the Keyhole. I have them all just have not read them yet. May get to them soon.

Comment

Originally posted by warlock664 View Post

-The Tommyknockers (ugh)
                            -The Dark Half
                            -Misery
                            -Dolores Claiborne
                            -The Eyes of the Dragon
                            -The Talisman

Currently reading:

-Black House
                            The Tommyknockers was rough. I say it and Revival are my least favorites. Misery is definitely a top tier King read. The Running Man is so much better than the film. I enjoyed Black House I believe more than the Talisman. The others I liked as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                              The Tommyknockers was rough. I say it and Revival are my least favorites. Misery is definitely a top tier King read. The Running Man is so much better than the film. I enjoyed Black House I believe more than the Talisman. The others I liked as well.
                              The Tommyknockers was a rough read but it is lightyears better than Rose Madder. I agree Misery is a great read!

Comment

I read these books so long ago that it's difficult to remember how I felt about them. The Tommyknockers was not a favourite. I loved The Talisman and Black House (but preferred The Talisman).
                                I have read all of SK's books and I don't often think about least favourites but Lisey's Story stands out. The only SK book I never finished. I think Dreamcatcher was a load of nonsense, and recently End of Watch was just too silly to take seriously.
                                You could possibly nominate The Girl who loved Tom Gordon and Rose Madder to fight out third place on the podium.

Comment

Working...
                                X