What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frik51 View Post

It has been a while since I read any short stories.
    So far I'm really enjoying this book.

sk
    Just started it this morning too!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
      I have completed 'Wicked Things' and really enjoyed both stories, including the implied links to the two stories.
      I've been making a lot more time for reading the past couple weeks (trying to get in as much as I can before my workload gets much heavier). I haven't previoulsy read any Tessier, but I started "Wicked Things" yesterday and am enjoying it so far. I'll probably finish that up tonight or tomorrow, and then I'll probably start "Hell Hollow or "The Painted Darkness".

Comment

I agree on both accounts.
        Carrion Comfort is awesome - my personal Simmons' favorite.
        Drood...mwah...I think my least favorite so far.

I'm about to start on Flashback.
        Anyone here read it?
        Worth my time?
        (Duhh......we're talking Simmons here!)

sk

Oops...I think my mwah is a Dutchism here.....
        I think maybe Carrion Comfort was like his "one hit" like they say with rock bands "One Hit Wonders" like Aldo Nova or Red Rider. You should probably move on now that you read CC lol.

Comment

Simmons a one hit wonder??
          You can't be serious. He's an amazingly versatile author -much more so than Stephen King-, who knows how to tell a tale.
          He has written some great fantasy/science fiction (Hyperion/Endymion), some grrrrreat horror stuff (Summer of Night is one of the best vampire tales ever, and I urge everyone to read The Terror - awesome!)
          And this is only the tip of the iceberg.

sk

Comment

I'm also a devoted Simmons fan. Because his books tend to be hefty, it takes me a while to get around to reading them. Still have about seven waiting, but I think I'll read The Terror next based on frik51's suggestion. (Thank you!) And for those daunted by a book in excess of 500 pages (as I am with so little time to read these days), I highly recommend one of Simmons' story collections--Prayers to Broken Stones and Lovedeath--in order to get a taste of what he's capable of but in small bites. Of all of his books, I've read Fires of Eden twice as it's my personal favorite so far. Not only did it act as my introduction to this exceptional author, but it remains one of the best books I've ever read within the speculative fiction genre and outside of it.
            "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

Simmons a one hit wonder??
              You can't be serious. He's an amazingly versatile author -much more so than Stephen King-, who knows how to tell a tale.
              He has written some great fantasy/science fiction (Hyperion/Endymion), some grrrrreat horror stuff (Summer of Night is one of the best vampire tales ever, and I urge everyone to read The Terror - awesome!)
              And this is only the tip of the iceberg.

sk
              I'm pretty much a Simmons newbie. "Summer of Night" popped up as an Amazon recommendation, so I read that and "A Winter Haunting" back to back. I have "Hyperion" and "Fall of Hyperion" in my to-be-read stack, but wanted to read some other authors before I came back to Simmons.

I haven't fully formed an opinion yet based on just the two books, but they both left me feeling a little cold. They weren't terrible by any means (I finished them both, so they can't have been that bad), I just didn't find them completely satisfying. Parts of both seemed unintentionally comical, particularly the hackneyed handling of some of the Crowley / occult elements in "Summer of Night". I guess the "kids-in-supernatural-danger" genre doesn't leave you anywhere to go but down when you start with "It" (which I borrowed from my uncle's bookshelf and read back in '87 when I was 12).

I've heard some good things about the Hyperion books, so maybe I'll enjoy those more.

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorScribe View Post
                I'm also a devoted Simmons fan. I think I'll read The Terror next based on frik51's suggestion. (Thank you!)
                Youre welcome. Please do let us know how/if you enjoyed it.

Originally posted by Endless Horror Tale View Post
                I've heard some good things about the Hyperion books, so maybe I'll enjoy those more.
                I do hope so. These books don't make for casual, light reading. It's science fiction on a grand scale, pretty horrific at times, but never boring. (although I know people who think differently).
                Enjoy!

sk

Comment

Currently reading Kurt Vonnegut's THE SIRENS OF TITAN.

Comment

Patrick i have heard a lot of people reading Kurt's work but have no real idea of what sort of stuff he writes, horror, science fiction, some other???

Comment

He writes a little of everything, usually in one book; all is in a satirical vein. I've only read Breakfast of Champions, tho.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I've read quite a few books by Vonnegut, and I've yet to be disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed Galapagos as well as many others, including Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse-Five. I highly recommend his works.

Comment

Ed Lee - The Innswich Horror

Comment

Originally posted by jester05jk View Post
                            Ed Lee - The Innswich Horror
                            That's one I'd love to read, too. How is it so far? From what I recall of the description, it's a bit different from what Lee usually writes.

Comment

Finished Song of Susannah--better than I remembered. Took longer to read than expected because of a tree falling on my house, but was still impressed with structure, narration and character development of Susannah-Mio.

I thinking I'm suffering from DT overload; I'm a little reluctant to start book 7 right now.

Maybe something by Kelly or Ketchum....
                              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Between office work, writing, and housework yesterday, I somehow found time to finish "Wicked Things". So last night I started reading "The Girl Next Door". I took the publisher's advice and am going to delay reading King's introduction until after I've read the book.

Comment

Working...
                                X