No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't really liking Girl on the Glider until the last 10-15 pages. It came off as an exercise in self-pity that didn't register with me. However, Keene rescued his story in the last few pages and turned an uninteresting story into a winner. So kudos to him for that. But I hope all his books aren't like that.

Going to re-read Delores Claiborne. Of all King's novels, I remember the least about this one.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

You should include Gerald's Game, Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game should be read together.
      Originally posted by srboone View Post
      I wasn't really liking Girl on the Glider until the last 10-15 pages. It came off as an exercise in self-pity that didn't register with me. However, Keene rescued his story in the last few pages and turned an uninteresting story into a winner. So kudos to him for that. But I hope all his books aren't like that.

Going to re-read Delores Claiborne. Of all King's novels, I remember the least about this one.

Comment

Reread it last year, one of my favorites that is just south of my top 10 Kings.
        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
          There might be some self-pity in it, but it was all understandable with everything he went through. He basically wasn't paid what was promised him for a long time. I didn't personally find it full of self-pity when I read it, but I can see how someone could. Sundancing is similar in that is meta-fictional, but is about something else.

The Cage, Earthworm Gods (The Conqueror Worms when released by Leisure) and it's sequel, and Entombed are also all great, and definitely not like Girl on a Glider. I'd recommend other ones, but have not yet read any others. I plan to correct that error this year though as I have loved everything of his I've read.
          WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
          Spoiler!

Comment

Hmm, just picked up some library books and can't decide what to start first:

"The Information" - James Gleick
            "Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman" - James Gleick
            "A Working Theory of Love" - Scott Hutchins
            "Cyber Crime" - a bunch of articles in the "Opposing Viewpoints" series
            The Idiot's Guide to Conversational Japanese

(I'll decide later. Now I'm off to find out if the woman wants to get movies tonight or if I'm free to drink beer and play games...)

Comment

Valentines for the Dead was one of the best reads I've had in a while. Beautiful prose that makes the stories seem like dreams from which you don't want to wake.

Next is The Scrubs by Simon Janus. A novella I got in CD's other publisher's grab bag a while ago.
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I decided to take a trip down memory lane and read Skeleton Crew. Next, Richard Laymon's Endless Night or After Midnight. It would seem I've become a junkie for his books

Comment

Originally posted by jester05jk View Post
                  Painted Darkness. It's a quick read, you'll finish it in a day or 2. Then do Off Season followed immediately by Offspring.
                  This looks like that plan. I don't have Offspring though..... so after Off Season I will likely knock off another ebook - Flesh & Blood probably.

Comment

Finished Mister Slaughter. McCammon always delivers.

More Than Midnight is next.

Comment

The Scrubs was a good, exciting read. And The Day Before by John Skip & Cody Goodfellow was an hysterical send-up of everything I love and love to hate about movies.

Death Hunt on Ervoon by Garton is next. That will finish up the three novella set from the book club I picked up on the rebound last year.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed...

You'll LOVE it!

Comment

Books!

There are so many good books getting thrown around up there!

Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box was great! I just finished Firestarter, by SK.

Right now I'm reading G.R.R.M. Book 2 (... F&*% the Lannisters!), Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes' (great Vietnam novel) by , and I'm listening to Meg Gardiner's China Lake on CD. My girlfriend almost stabbed me with a bendy straw on this weekend's ride home from Mammoth Mountain, but after four solid hours of audio her mouth started foaming, and I was able to restrain her.

Comment

I completely agree with your view of Heart-Shaped Box. I had not heard of Matterhorn before and had to google it. Looks very interesting and will be added to my To Be Read list, thanks for the mention. My wife likes to listen to audio books with me when on trips but she always loses interest and starts talking which makes hearing the story tougher.
                            Originally posted by Carson Standifer View Post
                            There are so many good books getting thrown around up there!

Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box was great! I just finished Firestarter, by SK.

Right now I'm reading G.R.R.M. Book 2 (... F&*% the Lannisters!), Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes' (great Vietnam novel) by , and I'm listening to Meg Gardiner's China Lake on CD. My girlfriend almost stabbed me with a bendy straw on this weekend's ride home from Mammoth Mountain, but after four solid hours of audio her mouth started foaming, and I was able to restrain her.

Comment

"A Working Theory of Love" - awesome book. One of my favorites in quite a while.

Comment

Finally finished The Bourne Identity. Good book. Now, onto The Painted Darkness!

Comment

Working...
                                X