What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Three Legged Dog is also a pretty damn good wine!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21861[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21861[/ATTACH]
    That's too funny! Not the hugest of wine drinkers, but, I might have to snag a bottle to take to his next signing.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
      That's too funny! Not the hugest of wine drinkers, but, I might have to snag a bottle to take to his next signing.
      It is actually a really good table wine. I have only been to the winery once and the dog was not around.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        Started Laura Lippman’s SUNBURN, and at just 40 pages in, I’m already about prepared to call it the best book I’ve read in a half-year. Hopefully it continues to impress.
        ...aaannd no, it’s not, unfortunately. Especially disappointing when a book starts off so strong.
        Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

...aaannd no, it’s not, unfortunately. Especially disappointing when a book starts off so strong.
          That is unfortunate. The 'inspired by The Postman Always Rings Twice' intrigued me.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            That is unfortunate. The 'inspired by The Postman Always Rings Twice' intrigued me.
            It got better after that post; I should’ve waited until I finished it before passing judgment. I made that post at around the 3/4 and almost stopped, ready to call it a DNF (Did Not Finish). But I pushed through and it ended rather strong. My take on it, in thirds: The first third is a 9, the second third a 5, and the last third a 7. That makes it an average of 7...recommended, but not the fantastic read I was thinking it’d be.

And, yeah, the Cain’ian POSTMAN allusion is what drew me to it as well...in that regard, it generally delivers, though the strength of the character and her motivations is actually closer to MILDRED PIERCE.

Comment

Just finished MY PRETTIES by Jeff Strand; read it over just a couple nights. An entertaining read, as usual from Strand, and certainly more in the vein of his darker works like PRESSURE. There was still some humor to be found, but it took a distinct backseat this time around to some straight-forward suspense and horror, which truth be told, I found kind of refreshing. I still love his horror/humor books as well, but he's had a recent string of those and it was nice to revisit that earlier, darker vibe.

Comment

I will have to look this one up. I have always like Jeff Strand with Dweller probably being my favorite of those that I've read.

Just finished MY PRETTIES by Jeff Strand; read it over just a couple nights. An entertaining read, as usual from Strand, and certainly more in the vein of his darker works like PRESSURE. There was still some humor to be found, but it took a distinct backseat this time around to some straight-forward suspense and horror, which truth be told, I found kind of refreshing. I still love his horror/humor books as well, but he's had a recent string of those and it was nice to revisit that earlier, darker vibe.
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

The Second Vatican Council (an unwritten story) by Roberto de Mattei
                  Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                    I will have to look this one up. I have always like Jeff Strand with Dweller probably being my favorite of those that I've read.
                    DWELLER is my favorite as well, followed by PRESSURE...those two lead my Strand ranking. MY PRETTIES falls a bit lower than those two...probably in the upper-mid range of my ranking of all his work. There's a simplicity about the story that works both for and against it, the latter particularly so when comparing it against some of his more complex/rich books.

But I would say those two belong in the same end of the Strand spectrum as MY PRETTIES...darker, more serious than humorous, with more focus on character than jokey, over-the-top banter and situations.

Comment

Started REMAINS by Andrew Cull.

Comment

Started REMAINS by Andrew Cull.
                        Meh...ended up skimming the last third.

On to Scalzi’s OLD MAN’S WAR.

Comment

Mind of Winter by Laura Kasischke. A really good slow burn of a book. Takes place during a blizzard on Christmas day.

Comment

I finished reading Politics Is Murder (Vintage paperback) by Edwin Lanham. Politics Is Murder was a complex whodunnit and quite enjoyable. I have not gone back to reading Dracula. I'm now reading Nightmare Alley by William Lindsay Gresham.
                            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I started reading Stephen King's REVIVAL last night and I'm about 50 pages into it. (A little late to the party, I know.) It seems to be starting off rather slow. Does it get better?

I've read every Stephen King book up through the Bill Hodges trilogy, but I've fallen behind on my King reading in recent years. I'm hoping this book gets more interesting. By the way, I'm reading the trade hardcover, not my gorgeous new LetterPress edition. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
                                I started reading Stephen King's REVIVAL last night and I'm about 50 pages into it...It seems to be starting off rather slow. Does it get better?
                                I would say so; I think it gradually gets more interesting, and things start to build and open up later (good characters, unusual story). I kind of wished that the first 2/3 of the novel had been fit into the first 1/3 of the pages, but really, I can't complain too much.
                                Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Comment

Working...
                                X