Page 200 of 203 FirstFirst ... 100150190198199200201202 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 4,000 of 4060

Thread: What are you currently reading?

  1. #3981
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Power
    11
    How serendipitous… This book has been on my radar for a while. I’ve been too cheap to spring for the Canadian edition, but I think the US edition is coming out soon, as I recall. It has a lot of good buzz and sounds like my kind of book, I’ll probably pick it up.

  2. #3982
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,748
    Rep Power
    62
    I'm reading The Rust Maidens by Gwendolyn Kiste. It is a very good book so far.

  3. #3983
    Senior Member Hearing Voices mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,456
    Rep Power
    52
    Just started Europe in Autumn, first book in the Fracture Europe series by Dave Hutchinson, which also includes, Europe at Midnight, Europe in Winter and Europe at Dawn. Pretty darn good so far!

  4. #3984
    Member Part-timer
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Am currently reading Joe Lansdale's "Driving to Geronimo's Grave & Other Stories". Didn't really care for the title story but loved "In the Mad Mountains" & "Wrestling Jesus" Hoping the next three stories are as good as those two. Will most likely begin the centipede edition of Jonathan Carroll's "The Land of Laughs" next.

  5. #3985
    Junior Member Visitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0
    About halfway through VERSES FOR THE DEAD by Preston/Child. After that HARK! THE HERALD ANGELS SCREAM.

    Jim

  6. #3986
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    6,748
    Rep Power
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    I'm reading The Rust Maidens by Gwendolyn Kiste. It is a very good book so far.
    Okay I have finished this book. I highly recommend this one. Fantastic coming of age story.For me a 5 star rating. Looking forward to reading more from Gwendolyn Kiste.

  7. #3987
    Member Part-timer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm a little over 600 pages into my second reading of The Passage by Justin Cronin and enjoying it as much, if not more, as the first time I read it. Remains one of my all time favorites.

    B

  8. #3988
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,270
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by brlesh View Post
    I'm a little over 600 pages into my second reading of The Passage by Justin Cronin and enjoying it as much, if not more, as the first time I read it. Remains one of my all time favorites.

    B
    I have to retry it. I have read the first big section twice (with the little girl), but there was something about the start of the next section, later in history, that didn't hold my interest enough, and both times I got distracted by another book. I'm sure I'll like it if I could plough through a bit of that second section.

  9. #3989
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,318
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by brlesh View Post
    I'm a little over 600 pages into my second reading of The Passage by Justin Cronin and enjoying it as much, if not more, as the first time I read it. Remains one of my all time favorites.

    B
    I have the first two books from CD grab bags but have not read them. At some point I will give them a try.

  10. #3990
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    8
    Reading - DEAD LETTERS ANTHOLOGY edited by Conrad Williams

    Good concept with some strong stories, so far.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  11. #3991
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,334
    Rep Power
    11
    I think you should give them a go. There is a jump in the books that is a little clunky but, if you can get past that, it's a good story.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I have the first two books from CD grab bags but have not read them. At some point I will give them a try.

  12. #3992
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,318
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I think you should give them a go. There is a jump in the books that is a little clunky but, if you can get past that, it's a good story.
    I will at some point.

  13. #3993
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Rep Power
    27
    I am in the home stretch of "A Memory of Light" the final book of The Wheel of Time series. I just started the longest chapter of any single book I've ever read. This chapter is longer than some books I've read. It's title "The Last Battle" and in audio format is a little over 9 hours long...
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  14. #3994
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,270
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I am in the home stretch of "A Memory of Light" the final book of The Wheel of Time series. I just started the longest chapter of any single book I've ever read. This chapter is longer than some books I've read. It's title "The Last Battle" and in audio format is a little over 9 hours long...
    I really enjoyed the series overall when I finally did a full read a few years ago. Sanderson did a great job picking up the ball and running with it.

  15. #3995
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I really enjoyed the series overall when I finally did a full read a few years ago. Sanderson did a great job picking up the ball and running with it.
    Yea for the most part. I've noticed some things that sort of felt like the ball being dropped in the first two books he did. There was some muddy timeline stuff in those. Where Rand and Egwene's storylines were out of sync with everyone else's timelines. They where weeks ahead (I think). It felt really weird when there was interaction between the characters that were out of sync.

    This may just be because of the way they had to do it making what was supposed to be a single book into 3.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

  16. #3996
    Member Part-timer
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    0
    Just finished Jonathan Carroll's "The Land of Laughs". Really liked it and am looking forward to checking out more of his work as this was my first book by him. Am now beginning the CD limited version of Robert Mccammon's "The Listner". Has been on my to read pile for awhile. Hope it's as good as the hype.

  17. #3997
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    156
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I have to retry it. I have read the first big section twice (with the little girl), but there was something about the start of the next section, later in history, that didn't hold my interest enough, and both times I got distracted by another book. I'm sure I'll like it if I could plough through a bit of that second section.
    That's exactly where I bailed. I struggled through that first huge chunk, and then I gave up.

  18. #3998
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Right Behind You
    Posts
    2,270
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    That's exactly where I bailed. I struggled through that first huge chunk, and then I gave up.
    I've heard great stuff about the series and will push through one day. There just seemed like such a....what?? change of pace of the story. Not sure what exactly it was, but I couldn't stay with it.

  19. #3999
    Senior Member Hearing Voices jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,296
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I've heard great stuff about the series and will push through one day. There just seemed like such a....what?? change of pace of the story. Not sure what exactly it was, but I couldn't stay with it.
    I read The Passage and The Twelve and gave up at City of Mirrors. The story just falls apart in my opinion. I really liked The Passage, flaws and all. It is jarring the way it slips through the timeline--just as you're getting invested in one set of characters, a whole new batch comes along that you have to care about. It felt taped together and maybe a little rushed. I think there should have been two books in that first volume.

    The Twelve got tedious and it didn't pay off the potential of The Passage.

    By the time I arrived at the City of Mirrors, I was all out of care for the story. I took a peek and bailed.

  20. #4000
    Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Rep Power
    27
    Well it's done. I have officially finished the Wheel of Time audio books. 14 of the longest books you'll ever read. Honestly even the parts that I remember being really slow or kinda boring weren't. Thinking back on it, I'm kinda shocked at how neatly everything ended getting tied up in the end. You'd think with a series of 14 books, written over 22 years, that needed to be completed by another author because the original author died before completing the series, there would've been some loose ends. Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson managed to tie everything up nicely though.

    I'd say if you like fantasy at all definitely give it a read. It may take you awhile but it's worth it in the end. As with a lot of my other favorite fantasy series it left me wanting more.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

    Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Twitter - Twitch.tv

    Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 Reading Goals
    By srboone in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-04-2012, 10:53 PM
  2. Reading SK...
    By fmancino in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 03:09 PM
  3. Reading Habits
    By jester05jk in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 08:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •