Page 203 of 208 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205 ... LastLast
Results 4,041 to 4,060 of 4152

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar
    Reading: VALERIE AND OTHER STORIES by Colin Insole

I really enjoy the writing in these interesting stories.

Listening: THE STRANGE CASE OF CHARLES DEXTER WARD podcast from the BBC.

An excellent modern riff on the H. P. Lovecraft story. I download and play in my car on my commute. Nicely done.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06spb8w

*Finished listening to THE STRANGE CASE OF CHARLES DEXTER WARD podcast from the BBC and it was excellent!
    Last edited by njhorror; 02-20-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Junior Member Visitor
    Reading (finally) COLD CITY by F. Paul Wilson. Finished THE HIDING PLACE by C. J. Tudor. Really enjoyed this book. While I did thought here first book was a good read (good, not great) her latest was a more thrilling read. Yes, she used a Stephen King plot element (which King borrowed form a short story himself) but I read it as an homage. Still well worth your time. I read this one really fast. Could not wait to get back to it between reading times.

Jim

Senior Member Hearing Voices jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jargendeli View Post
    Reading (finally) COLD CITY by F. Paul Wilson. Finished THE HIDING PLACE by C. J. Tudor. Really enjoyed this book. While I did thought here first book was a good read (good, not great) her latest was a more thrilling read. Yes, she used a Stephen King plot element (which King borrowed form a short story himself) but I read it as an homage. Still well worth your time. I read this one really fast. Could not wait to get back to it between reading times.

Jim
    I like what I'm hearing about CJ Tudor. I have Chalk Man on order from SubPress. Happy to follow a new author!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I like what I'm hearing about CJ Tudor. I have Chalk Man on order from SubPress. Happy to follow a new author!
    I have that on order from them via Camelot as well. I recently picked up 1st/1st US & UK trades of the book. Also purchased The Hiding Place the other day which SubPress will me doing a limited of as well.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Am now beginning a reread of Jeff Vandermeer's "Bourne" as I was able to snag a copy of the SubPress limited edition. Happy to dive back into this world as I'm a huge Vandermeer man. On that note, has anyone read his novel "Finch"? Would love to hear your take as I've been debating picking this one up as its a bit pricey on the secondary market. Loved his prior Ambergis works.

Senior Member Hearing Voices

I'm now reading Motley Crue's The Dirt in preparation for the movie airing on Netflix later this month.

Junior Member Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonUK View Post
    I'm now reading Motley Crue's The Dirt in preparation for the movie airing on Netflix later this month.
    Get the Kleenex ready for the part about Vince’s daughter. Heartbreaking!

Member Part-timer
    Currently reading Between the Tracks - Tales from the Ghost Train to start my reread of The Twelve (Book II of the Passage trilogy) tonight. Thoroughly enjoyed it the first time around.

B.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I've set aside The Divine Eccentric: Lola Montez And The Newspapers by Doris Foley. I finished reading Rain Dogs by Gary McMahon. I've set aside Racing the Sunrise: Reinforcing America's Pacific Outposts, 1941-1942 by Glen M Williford for now. I just finished half of a Lancer Books 2 For 1. I read French Maid by Morton Cooper. The other half (Book) is The Naked Canvas by William Arnold.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Am now reading the Subterranean Press Limited Edition of Robert Mccammon's "Bethany's Sin". I'm a huge Mccammon fan and am hoping it is good. Have seen varying reviews on the message boards; so, my fingers are crossed.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Am now reading the Subterranean Press Limited Edition of Robert Mccammon's "Bethany's Sin". I'm a huge Mccammon fan and am hoping it is good. Have seen varying reviews on the message boards; so, my fingers are crossed.
    Best keep your expectations in check with this one...it's probably my least favorite McCammon, and I'm a hugh McCammon fan as well.

My current reading: BEST OF THE SCREAM FACTORY, Cemetery Dance S/L HC. Just started this one last night, but really looking forward to diving in waist-deep and reliving that era in the genre.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Reading The Killing Kind 2 by Bryan Smith and Quick Fixes by F. Paul Wilson. It's a collection of his Repairman Jack short stories. Really liking both.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar
    Reading THE WINE OF ANGELS by Phil Rickman Merrily Watkins #1

I've always liked Phil Rickman, and decided to finally begin the Merrily Watkins series. Occasional cliched situations, but more due to it being written 20 years ago than anything to do with the writing. Good stuff.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just finished the Subterranean Press Limited Edition of Robert Mccammon's "Bethany's Sin". While it may not be his best book, I actually ended up liking it. The only annoying part was the author's use of verb repetition throughout the book; however, since this was one of his first books, it wasn't really a deal breaker for me. I thought the story itself more than made up for it. I can't recall ever reading about Amazonians in a horror novel prior to this. I finally snagged a copy of the Subterranean Press Limited Edition of Robert Mccammon's "The Border" and will probably give that a reread next. Speaking of books called "The Border", has anyone read the new Don Winslow yet? If so, I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm a big Winslow fan and have read all of his stuff and have the prior two books in this trilogy; however, something has held me back from picking this one up yet. Worried that it might be too preachy and didn't really care for his prior book "The Force".

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Speaking of books called "The Border", has anyone read the new Don Winslow yet? If so, I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm a big Winslow fan and have read all of his stuff and have the prior two books in this trilogy; however, something has held me back from picking this one up yet. Worried that it might be too preachy and didn't really care for his prior book "The Force".
    I just read The Border (Winslow's book) and loved it. He certainly trashes Trump & family, but really, what he suggests is not far-fetched. I thought the book tied up the story nicely, and it was a good read.

The only thing that jarred me out of the story momentarily was when he referred to highways the way people in LA do. He kept referring to "the 95" (I-95), "the 84" (I-84), "the 4" (Route 4), etc. He also had Route 4 going North from the GW Bridge in Jersey. Route 4 goes East/West. I could see that being ok if the character was from LA, but no way in hell is an NYPD Police Detective referring to I-95 as "the 95".

I also read The Force, and found it somewhat unbelievable. The Border was much more what I expect from Winslow.

If you've never read The Winter of Frankie Machine, go get it. That was the first Winslow book I read, and I couldn't put it down. In fact, I must read it again one of these days.

Thanks for the head's up Dave1442397! I will probably pick-up "The Border" this weekend due to your positive review. I have read "The Winter of Frankie Machine" and loved it. Really, I've loved almost all of what I have read by Winslow. About the only one I didn't care for was "The Force". Much like yourself, I found it a bit unbelievable and clichéd.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    I've been reading Winslow for years, California Fire and Life is a great title. He can inject creepy into almost any situation. Oh and The Power of the Dog, fantastic.
    Last edited by mhatchett; 03-16-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    I finished reading French Maid by Morton Cooper and The Naked Canvas by William Arnold (This was a Lancer 2 For 1 book). I finished reading The Divine Eccentric: Lola Montez And The Newspapers by Doris Foley.
    Now I'm reading Nadia's Children (Book 4 and the final book of The Werewolf Saga) by Steven E Wedel. I haven't yet gone back to reading Racing the Sunrise: Reinforcing America's Pacific Outposts, 1941-1942 by Glen M Williford.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    This is an interesting one, At Day's Close: Night In Times Past Roger Ekirch . It's a history and social study of nocturnal active before the widespread advent of light, especially electricity. Pretty interesting so far.