What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,
    Merry after Christmas! Oddly, received a few books for Christmas and started right in on the Unbound Man by Matt Karlov, 56 pages in and enjoying it. My wife and daughter also bought me The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski. Don't know anything about it but seems promising. I'm really waiting for the Kane set to show up. Pretty hyped about that after Christmas present.

Comment

10 years late to the party, but I read Joe Hill's short story '20th Century Ghost' today, and was completely blown away by it. Ordered the collection straight away, as well as 'NOS4R2'.
      I hope the rest of the collection is as strong.

Comment

Finished Bleak House--another title off my 30 year-old TBR. Finally getting around to To Kill a Mockingbird.
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Just finishing up the anthology Swords Against Darkness IV, then onto an old medieval romance, The Song of Roland.

Comment

Hey! Check out my review of Charles Lambert's THE CHILDREN'S HOME (comes out next month from Scribner) on Cemetery Dance online!

cemeterydanceonline.com/2015/12/review-the-childrens-home-by-charles-lambert/
            Jonathan Reitan
            Founder - Northwest Horror Professionals

Comment

I always get at least one book for Christmas, and usually start right on it, despite the busy time of year.

This year, I got Emma Newman's Planetfall. Getting started on it, but with a lot of distractions (family get togethers, planning our first cruise (woo hoo!), and also the Christmas holiday tradition of the World Jr Hockey Championships, haven't had much quality time to get into it. Seems promising though.

Looks like I will be probably 50-50 sci-fi - horror this year.

Comment

Finished To Kill a Mockingbird--5 stars. Started the sequel Go Set a Watchman (the reason I even bothered to read the TKaM--I was happy with it being a movie); and, at the half-way point, I want to abandon it. But even if I do, I still can't unread what I've read so far, so it doesn't really matter at this point.

But 2016 is going to be the year I catch up on all things Shanara, so I'll be starting Running with the Demon as soon as I finish GSaW. I can't wait.
                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Don't forget that Watchmen isn't a sequel to Mockingbird. It's the beta (or more accurately, the alpha) version. It was written first and eventually became Mockingbird. I read it and treated it as being entirely unrelated and enjoyed it for what it was.

But it's definitely not a sequel.

Comment

Lee can sell that to the tourists. It may have been written earlier than TKaM, but the decision to publish it and have it set 15 years after the events of TKaM makes it a sequel. If Lee wanted it to be considered it otherwise, she should have kept it unpublished and let it be discovered after her death as an alpha version of TKaM. But if this was her first draft of TKaM, then this is the way she envisioned her characters ending up. So in that sense, it is a sequel. If she had bothered to publish anything else in the 55 years between the two books, I might feel differently.

So, I'm left asking myself, "why publish this?" And further, "why read this?"
                    Last edited by srboone; 01-04-2016, 07:32 AM.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

At a whopping 278 pages, Go Set a Watchman was a painfully long read. But I persevered. Sallying forth on my epic Shanara quest with Running with the Demon.

MontyPythonHolyGrail_018Pyxurz.jpg
                      Last edited by srboone; 01-05-2016, 05:30 AM.
                      "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I decided to start the year by reading Black Fire by some guy named James Kidman...

Comment

Originally posted by thelion View Post
                          I decided to start the year by reading Black Fire by some guy named James Kidman...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17578[/ATTACH]
                          I hear good things about that guy....

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                            I hear good things about that guy....
                            Oh, you have GOT to be kidmaning me!

Comment

Oh, Brad!

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                              Hi All,
                              Merry after Christmas! Oddly, received a few books for Christmas and started right in on the Unbound Man by Matt Karlov, 56 pages in and enjoying it. My wife and daughter also bought me The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski. Don't know anything about it but seems promising. I'm really waiting for the Kane set to show up. Pretty hyped about that after Christmas present.
                              I was always curious about the Witcher series, let me know your thoughts after you've read them.

I finished off the Song of Roland and absolutely loved it. Fast paced, bloody and yet beautiful. It's filled with strong imagery and symbolism.

I'm also three books into the Narnia series which I've been reading with my girlfriend, fun books. Simple and enjoyable, a little overbearing with the Christian symbolism for an atheist like me, but interesting from a cultural point of view because of that too. Also interesting to read Voyage of the Dawntreader while reading The Song of Roland, I found there to be more than one parallel that could be drawn.

Just started up David Gemmell's Legend, just a few chapters in now. I was hoping to pick up Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie, but my book store sold out sometime over the holidays. No worries, I'll be glad to knock Legend off the TBR list as well.

Comment

Originally posted by thelion View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17578[/ATTACH]
                                Reminds me of BJF writings .

Comment

Working...
                                X