No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never listened to an audio book, but after some of the recent comments here, I will have to consider that (especially Star Wars, apparently).

Someone mentioned Ready Player One. I saw the trailer for the movie, did not appeal to me. Before that, reading about the concept of the book, I found that too also did not appeal to me. For some reason I thought the book was more of a Pixels-type thing, or maybe just a story that took place during the arcade era of the 1980s (maybe even one about time-travelling to that period).

Someone else mentioned October reading and Bradbury. I myself am reading The Halloween Tree. And for the first time. Love Bradbury's crazy metaphors. (Do people here, when reading, actually try to imagine the metaphors? Like when Bradbury writes something like -- and I'm making this up, it will probably fail as a Bradbury-esque metaphor -- "Moundshroud's eyes started winking, black holes in space eating stars, haunted-house window shades dipping and scaling, while his arms elongated spider-thin, a nascent arachnid species, and his fingers swirled and lolled like undersea tube-worm creatures deep in the depths while speaking in a gibberish tongue that was all blackboard--scraping and vicious ichor vitriol" -- do you actually stop in your mind trying to imagine it, or is it just the wordplay, no images in the mind, that is the value of enjoying a poetic passage from Bradbury? I've been thinking about what I think when I read a lot lately. If a writer describes a character's eyes as dim silver dollars -- King must have written that at some point -- I'm not sure I actually see that.) I am considering reading Farewell Summer at some point. Was that a good Bradbury work?

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post
      I've never listened to an audio book, but after some of the recent comments here, I will have to consider that (especially Star Wars, apparently).

Someone mentioned Ready Player One. I saw the trailer for the movie, did not appeal to me. Before that, reading about the concept of the book, I found that too also did not appeal to me. For some reason I thought the book was more of a Pixels-type thing, or maybe just a story that took place during the arcade era of the 1980s (maybe even one about time-travelling to that period).

Someone else mentioned October reading and Bradbury. I myself am reading The Halloween Tree. And for the first time. Love Bradbury's crazy metaphors. (Do people here, when reading, actually try to imagine the metaphors? Like when Bradbury writes something like -- and I'm making this up, it will probably fail as a Bradbury-esque metaphor -- "Moundshroud's eyes started winking, black holes in space eating stars, haunted-house window shades dipping and scaling, while his arms elongated spider-thin, a nascent arachnid species, and his fingers swirled and lolled like undersea tube-worm creatures deep in the depths while speaking in a gibberish tongue that was all blackboard--scraping and vicious ichor vitriol" -- do you actually stop in your mind trying to imagine it, or is it just the wordplay, no images in the mind, that is the value of enjoying a poetic passage from Bradbury? I've been thinking about what I think when I read a lot lately. If a writer describes a character's eyes as dim silver dollars -- King must have written that at some point -- I'm not sure I actually see that.) I am considering reading Farewell Summer at some point. Was that a good Bradbury work?
      Another great audio is Stephen King's The Mist Audio play.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
        If you're interested in listening to one, I'd recommend Bloodline. It sort of bridges the gap between Episode VI and Episode VII. It explains how the resistance comes to be and is honestly just a really good book. Maybe the best of all the new Star Wars books they've brought out. It also helps that it's not part of a "series" or anything, just a one off.
        Thanks, Dan! I'll have to check it out.

Comment

Thanks Dan.
          I'll probably listen to Sleeping Beauties next, which will take a while, then decide.

Finished Dark Matter. Not spectacular, but a good yarn. That's my 6 word review.

Comment

I am also halfway through the Locke and Key story arc. I've read Welcome to Lovecraft, Head Games and Crown of Shadows so far. I bought the Master editions from IDW. The Sub Press ones would be lovely, but a bit too expensive for me (and I can't wait years to get the whole collection).

I have also finished the Gunslinger Born Marvel comic and moved onto Treachery. I will continue with those as circumstances permit.

I am also carrying around Neil Degrasse Tyson's Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. Halfway through it. It's a great read if you like that sort of thing, and being a little hardback, it's good for plane trips and airport lounges. I might finish it on this afternoon's flight home from Adelaide.

Comment

I am reading Fright by Cornell Woolrich. ~Cap
              Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                I am also halfway through the Locke and Key story arc. I've read Welcome to Lovecraft, Head Games and Crown of Shadows so far. I bought the Master editions from IDW. The Sub Press ones would be lovely, but a bit too expensive for me (and I can't wait years to get the whole collection).

I have also finished the Gunslinger Born Marvel comic and moved onto Treachery. I will continue with those as circumstances permit.

I am also carrying around Neil Degrasse Tyson's Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. Halfway through it. It's a great read if you like that sort of thing, and being a little hardback, it's good for plane trips and airport lounges. I might finish it on this afternoon's flight home from Adelaide.
                Absolutely love Locke & Key!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                  Absolutely love Locke & Key!
                  Couldn't agree more. Remains my top Joe Hill read!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    Couldn't agree more. Remains my top Joe Hill read!
                    I'd highly recommend Horns by Hill also. Neck in neck with Locke & Key for me.

Comment

I'd highly recommend Horns by Hill also. Neck in neck with Locke & Key for me.
                      My favorite Hill novel is Heart Shaped box, followed by The Fireman and the Horns.

Comment

My favorite Hill novel is Heart Shaped box, followed by The Fireman and the Horns.
                        The Fireman is in last place for me by a long shot. I enjoy Heart Shaped Box and The 20th Century Ghost collection. Have yet to hear/read NOS4A2 or Wraith. Listened to Throttle the other day. Enjoyed that. Hoping Strange Weather is really good.

Comment

The Fireman is in last place for me by a long shot. I enjoy Heart Shaped Box and The 20th Century Ghost collection. Have yet to hear/read NOS4A2 or Wraith. Listened to Throttle the other day. Enjoyed that. Hoping Strange Weather is really good.
                          I own THE FIREMAN but I've never read anything by Joe Hill other than his collaboration with his dad, THROTTLE. I jumped on CD's STRANGE WEATHER because I'm a lemming. but I have heard great things about Hill from others. Just hoping I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                            I own THE FIREMAN but I've never read anything by Joe Hill other than his collaboration with his dad, THROTTLE. I jumped on CD's STRANGE WEATHER because I'm a lemming. but I have heard great things about Hill from others. Just hoping I agree.
                            You are missing out. One of the top story tellers working today. I have read everything I have been able to get my hands on including Strange Weather.

Comment

You are missing out. One of the top story tellers working today. I have read everything I have been able to get my hands on including Strange Weather.
                              Well the good news is I won't be missing out for long! THE FIREMAN is near(ish) the top of my TBR pile. And I'll have STRANGE WEATHER to add to the stack next year. I'm sure I'll try to wrangle HORNS or NOS4A2 somewhere along the way if I like what I read from him.

Comment

I started with Horns (audiobook) which I loved. After that, I read Heart Shaped Box and 20th Century Ghosts. Enjoyed both of them very much.
                                I then read Nos4R2, which I liked, but probably not as much as the others. Then I listened to The Fireman, which after a slow start, grew on me as it developed until, by the end, I loved it.
                                Then it seemed logical to start reading Locke and Key - I think it was when I looked through Brian861's collection thread - and so I went for the IDW Master editions, and as I mentioned earlier, I'm at the half way point.
                                Reading comics is a different experience to the written word. I feel that I have to stop and savour the artwork, when my instinct is to turn the page and rush along into the narrative. My daughter is an aspiring comic book artist, so guilt is a factor!
                                I've ordered the CD version of Strange Weather, and will probably listen to it as an audiobook because I probably won't be able to wait.

On the whole, I give Joe Hill a resounding thumbs up.
                                Last edited by HumphreyBear; 10-13-2017, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X