Open Markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
    I just went to a site that was on duotrope called The Horror Zine and it shows a man who is a con artist and plagerist and I wondered if any one here on the forum know of any other rip-off publishing sites like this one. This guy steals stories and story ideas and submits them and makes money off other people's writing. NOW I'M ALL PARANOID TO SEND MY BABIES OUT TO BE PUBLISHED. I feel that we work too hard on our craft to have someone usurp our products for their own personal gain! Anyone?
    That's terrible. Though I can't imagine it would be very easy to make money this way--it's hard enough for writers to make money with their work. It doesn't seem worth the trouble to steal others' ideas and then try to sell them--I'm sure there are much more lucrative cons out there he could try!
    http://www.valmuller.com

Comment

Finally figured out my story for Machine of Death. Now if only it comes out as good as I visualize it internally. It had better, as I am up against the wall on this one.
      Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
        Finally figured out my story for Machine of Death. Now if only it comes out as good as I visualize it internally. It had better, as I am up against the wall on this one.
        Good Luck! I outlined something about a week ago for this but just can't seem to get started on it. I'm thinking I will miss the submission deadline.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I'm about 1/3 of the way in on mine. But, again, really pushing the window.
          "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

RISK,unfortunately is part of life;go tried and true Scribner,Viking/penguin,little brown, TOR,Del Rey.This site(Cemetery Dance) has a link for writers,right here on the sales pages. Magazines,even unsavory ones-it's how King started selling stories to Budoir ;whilst living in a motor home. Life could be worse. no motor home, no men's magazines to help start you off. He still publishes in playboy-did so just two years ago. You take what you can get early on. If you loose some babies-you'll write others. Just GET OUT THERE.Hey,i sold many paintings and illustrations over the years;only to find out they sold double me losing 50% each time,i have heard the paintings got stolen all 50 of them big ones,I eventually got my money coercion by a deep voiced coal miner named bruce who is near 7 feet tall always seems to turn a net 90 payment to net 40 really fast. unfortunate but true. Research all you can,get contracts in writing-look for feedback from others who used the publisher. It is a hard world with some very unpalatable simians -to say the least-perfect paranoia is at times perfect awareness.Beambounder

Comment

shoot, i may miss this deadline for MOD
              FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
                shoot, i may miss this deadline for MOD
                Just got my sent off. Phew!

Comment

Just got my sent off. Phew!
                  Now it's the big wait until October. Best of luck brother.

MLD

Comment

somehow i managed to write a story for MOD2 today (with 8 hours to spare!) very happy with it - it's called "Fireflies" - hope to see you all in the TOC for MOD2 - best of luck
                    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

What the heck? I keep trying to reply with quote and I get an error message that says my message is too short?

Comment

Writer's Digest just announced a horror short story contest (up to 4000 words). Nice prizes but there is an entry fee. Deadline - October 31st - I guess that's supposed to be funny :-) It also isn't clear whether winning entries will be published. They mention the names will be published in their magazine.

http://www.writersdigest.com/competi...32&rid=3054192

Comment

I saw that one too, but I'm not sure about the paying to get into it.
                          www.wesleysouthard.wordpress.com

Comment

Personally, I never pay for someone to read my story. I've come close once or twice, but really, it needs to be the other way around.
                            Last edited by Craig Wallwork; 07-29-2011, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I whole-heartedly agree with you Craig.

Comment

It reminds me of that old poetry contest company that got busted. The winners never really won anything. And I would expect more from them, but who knows.

Comment

Working...
                                X