Open Markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Markets

Please put the date in the post, so we know when it closes. Also, an other important information.
    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

http://www.warofthewordspress.com/we...anthology.html - Open until July 31

Comment

great idea oz, i always miss deadlines

this one is HOT, ends today, June 15th (top secret, but i'm writing the intro for this, and also have a micro piece in here)

Blink-Ink Micro-Fiction: 50 word Noir Stories

http://www.blink-ink.com/2011/04/spe...ssions-wanted/
      FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Great idea oz! This will be a useful thread! That war anthology looks interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
          great idea oz, i always miss deadlines

this one is HOT, ends today, June 15th (top secret, but i'm writing the intro for this, and also have a micro piece in here)

Blink-Ink Micro-Fiction: 50 word Noir Stories

http://www.blink-ink.com/2011/04/spe...ssions-wanted/
          Thanks. I just sketched out a few potential entries. It's harder then I thought to put together a coherent 50 word piece.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Wow. This is great for all of us. Especially the new and lazy ones like me, who really know very little about the market.
            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
              Thanks. I just sketched out a few potential entries. It's harder then I thought to put together a coherent 50 word piece.
              It's tricky. I've written 25 word stories, 50 word stories, they're tough. You know about the famous Hemingway six word story, right?:

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

It's almost like writing poetry. Every word counts. Don't say with three words what you can say with one. Dark blue sky = indigo. Think of the tip of the iceberg, just give us enough to hint at what lies beneath the surface. I also personally like a bit of grounded prose to go with the ethereal. But that may be me. I also think in terms of time: short bits and long expansive moments. I also like to bring all five senses in, even if it's just a bit. Ground it, and then make it sing. Palahniuk said "Teach me something, make me laugh, and then break my heart." I think that applies to this too. If you're going for horror/noir, remember that if we don't CARE about the characters, we won't experience heavy emotions if you kill them off or abuse them. Without love there is no, hate, right?

Just my two cents. Feel free to ignore it. GOOD LUCK!

Comment

It's tricky. I've written 25 word stories, 50 word stories, they're tough. You know about the famous Hemingway six word story, right?:

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

It's almost like writing poetry. Every word counts. Don't say with three words what you can say with one. Dark blue sky = indigo. Think of the tip of the iceberg, just give us enough to hint at what lies beneath the surface. I also personally like a bit of grounded prose to go with the ethereal. But that may be me. I also think in terms of time: short bits and long expansive moments. I also like to bring all five senses in, even if it's just a bit. Ground it, and then make it sing. Palahniuk said "Teach me something, make me laugh, and then break my heart." I think that applies to this too. If you're going for horror/noir, remember that if we don't CARE about the characters, we won't experience heavy emotions if you kill them off or abuse them. Without love there is no, hate, right?

Just my two cents. Feel free to ignore it. GOOD LUCK!
                I will admit I hadn't seen that bit from Hemingway before. Very poignant for so few words. Thank you for the tips.

Comment

Some authors use as a tool to refine their writing as well. Same with flash contests.

Comment

Just ran across this. Not sure, site is a bit wonky and these "one-off" anthologies can be a bit weak, but who knows. Could be worth dashing off 1000 words. Pays $20 a story. Thoughts?

http://treachery.mlcrawford.com/

Comment

Hmm, that one sounds interesting at least, might have to think about that one. $20 isn't much, but it's still money
                      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                      Spoiler!

Comment

Just ran across this. Not sure, site is a bit wonky and these "one-off" anthologies can be a bit weak, but who knows. Could be worth dashing off 1000 words. Pays $20 a story. Thoughts?

http://treachery.mlcrawford.com/

The website looks alright I guess.....It would be interesting to see if this thing actually see's the light of day though.

Comment

Here's one that sounds really cool. It's the second of their series. You can read the first for free in PDF to get the gist of what they're looking for. I've read half the book and it's pretty dang good.

Machine of Death (deadline is July 15, 2011)

I've posted my story over in the Share Your Work forum

MLD

Comment

Ya I've been thinking on something for that one. It does sound interesting.

Comment

$200? Good lord!
                              www.wesleysouthard.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X