King limiteds for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJK1981 View Post
    I have seen a PC copy of the lettered From a Buick 8 on Ebay for $2,000 for a very long time now. I don't think I'd pay that much for a PC of that one without any remarques or anything
    I have a regular lettered edition and it's a gorgeous production.
    Does anyone have an explanation for the fact that PC copies sell for much less?
    it's the same book, same verything, except for that darn letter.
    Is one letter worth hundreds of dollars??

sk

Comment

Nothing wrong with it, but I would imagine that an actual letter would be worth more simply because there would only be one of those while there is more than one PC. I could buy one else for just a little under $2,000 that is an actual letter instead of PC.

Now, if I had enough money to buy something like this, well, I probably would whether it was a PC or not. Most people, especially in a down economy, won't have that kind of money though.
      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
      Spoiler!

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
        I have a regular lettered edition and it's a gorgeous production.
        Does anyone have an explanation for the fact that PC copies sell for much less?
        it's the same book, same verything, except for that darn letter.
        Is one letter worth hundreds of dollars??

sk
        Probably for the same reason people will pay more for a limited edition with a low number than one with a high number. Like you said, it's the same book, so I don't really get it either.

Comment

As RJK1981 indicated, there could conceivably be 25 or 50 or even more PC "editions" floating around, while there should only be one "A" or "T" or "RR" (for 52-copy runs). It MIGHT be the same book (I've seen PC copies missing elements from regular serialized versions), but with PC versions there's a lot more containing the same serial. This makes them far less rare and, therefore, much less of a collectible in many people's eyes.

Also, when it comes to series (like The Dark Tower), matching numbers or letters always commands higher prices than mismatched sets. But even then, a mismatched set containing all letters will still be more highly appraised than a mismatched set containing PC copies.

Don't get me wrong - PC copies are great to have when absolutely nothing else is available. However, when regular serials are accessible, it's better to go after those and pay the premium (within reason, of course).

As far as the high/low number/letter thing - I don't quite get that, either. However, there could be significance within a certain context. For example, for the 25th edition of a something, it would be neat to have number 25 or letter "Y". Or if a number or letter has critical meaning within the prose that is well-known amongst readers, it would potentially be desirable to obtain a matching serial. A few numbers have special connotations beyond the writing, such as 13 or 666, which might garner a higher price than an otherwise pedestrian number (you could argue that "1" or "A" falls into that category).
          The angry book collector.
          www.awfulbooks.com

Comment

Originally posted by fleggett View Post
            As RJK1981 indicated, there could conceivably be 25 or 50 or even more PC "editions" floating around, while there should only be one "A" or "T" or "RR" (for 52-copy runs). It MIGHT be the same book (I've seen PC copies missing elements from regular serialized versions), but with PC versions there's a lot more containing the same serial. This makes them far less rare and, therefore, much less of a collectible in many people's eyes.

Also, when it comes to series (like The Dark Tower), matching numbers or letters always commands higher prices than mismatched sets. But even then, a mismatched set containing all letters will still be more highly appraised than a mismatched set containing PC copies.

Don't get me wrong - PC copies are great to have when absolutely nothing else is available. However, when regular serials are accessible, it's better to go after those and pay the premium (within reason, of course).

As far as the high/low number/letter thing - I don't quite get that, either. However, there could be significance within a certain context. For example, for the 25th edition of a something, it would be neat to have number 25 or letter "Y". Or if a number or letter has critical meaning within the prose that is well-known amongst readers, it would potentially be desirable to obtain a matching serial. A few numbers have special connotations beyond the writing, such as 13 or 666, which might garner a higher price than an otherwise pedestrian number (you could argue that "1" or "A" falls into that category).
            I don't believe I've even seen a PC copy of any book so I wouldn't really know what they look like. I've had chances to buy a lot of them but always passed them up for a numbered copy.

Yeah. As I've said before on this forum, I have the last three DT books with the number 911....the only other chance I'll have to get a matching number of a book will be the new DT book coming out next year. I'll have 544 since my copy of LSOE is 544.

A few numbers have special connotations beyond the writing, such as 13 or 666, which might garner a higher price than an otherwise pedestrian number (you could argue that "1" or "A" falls into that category).

I hear that lol. Unfortunately, my DT books as I said above, are all 911.

Comment

A PC (lettered/numbered) edition usually looks the same as a regular (lettered/numbered) edition. But, there's no number or letter; it just says PC.

sk

Comment

Working...
              X