Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-Promotion for Authors

Hybrid View

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Nik Houser's Avatar

Self-Promotion for Authors

Hey gang, in the spirit of the excellent Networking thread that was started, I thought I'd start a thread for authors to pimp their latest projects. Here's the recent ones of mine that I think might gel best with the CD crowd:

ZOMBIES: THE RECENT DEAD. This is a best-of anthology of zombie stories from the last decade. My undead coming-of-age novelette First Kisses from Beyond the Grave is in it, in the company of some great authors like Neil Gaiman, Joe Lansdale, Max Brooks, Brian Keene and more. Careful though; if you're a zombie fiction diehard, you may have read some of these already, since this is a compilation of previously published stories. Kirkus Reviews called mine "Howlingly Funny".

WEIRD TALES #358 will be published this month, and features my story "A Beginner's Guide to Sandcastle Alchemy," a tale of dark fantasy in which a group of boys' expedition to the beach becomes the stuff of nightmare. Here's the cover of #358:

OK! What've you guys got coming up?!

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar
    Good idea. Here are trailers for what I am currently working on. Hoping TT will be reissued, but the changes might only be for a limited combined copy that has both novels. Good news is GR is with the editor, and I am nearing the end of my 1st edits on TT. Still a long way to go though, but hopefully it will be out in October.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication C.W. LaSart's Avatar
    And i don't know how to upload a pic on here apparently

And that is awesome that you got in there Nik. Good magazine!

Okay-My story Sirens was just published in Dark Moon Digest Issue 4 and I also had my first-ever short story (written and published, as I usually wrote longer pieces) in Issue #1

Very nice! Didn't you say you placed in one of their contests as well?

And I still can't seem to figure out how to post pics of Dark Moon Digest!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed mlouisdixon's Avatar
    Edited to point out that I'm way far behind in this thread to be of any assistance. Doh! Looks like you already figured it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
    And I still can't seem to figure out how to post pics of Dark Moon Digest!
    If the picture is already on the web, right click on it and select "Properties"
    Copy the Address: URL and use that.
    Here you will click on the Insert Image icon and use the URL you copied.

Like so:

Cool looking covers!

MLD
    Last edited by mlouisdixon; 06-15-2011 at 09:13 PM.

And the cover on issue 4 was done by the same artist as my book cover! Such a talented guy!

Thanks! Actually, I have several projects going with Dark Moon Digest and Dark Moon Books! My anthology due out this Fall, was born when I entered an extreme contest and the editor was very impressed with my story and decided to make it my book instead of a multiple author deal. Also, I will have a piece of flash fiction in their charity anthology coming out, where I will share the pages with Jack Ketchum and Joe R. Lansdale, as well as be honored to be in a book that Mike Mignola(sp), creator of Hellboy, designed the cover! Stan also has vampire and zombie stories that he says will probably go into themed anthologies. I will know any day now if my ghost story made the 1st anniversary edition of DMD. It's been a very exciting year for me

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    That's awesome. I'm going to be in that charity antho as well.

My novella, Fleshbags, was published a few months back. It's reviewed very well and I'd invite everyone to check it out on Amazon, B & N, and Smashwords.

fleshbags_final_text_300px_promo[1].jpg
    Last edited by Mr. Rice; 01-06-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rice View Post
    That's awesome. I'm going to be in that charity antho as well.

My novella, Fleshbags, was published a few months back. It's reviewed very well and I'd invite everyone to check it out on Amazon, B & N, and Smashwords.

fleshbags_final_text_300px_promo[1].jpg
    Cool! Didn't Russel Dickerson do the cover on this one? Either way it looks great.

Cool trailers! What a fantastic idea. The second one particularly looks cool with that great reveal at the end with the floating man. Well done!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Draven Ames's Avatar
    I'll be in Shroud, issue #12. I'm very proud of that. I did submissions at SNM Horror magazine for a while, but left for personal reasons. I won their January Author Showcase with my story, Nothingness. I've also won 3rd there before, and been published 4 times. Shameless promotion done.

Love the magazine, Nik. Congratulations.

Dark Moon Digest is great, and so is Stan. Jealous of all your writing doing so well, Caren. Great work.

Wow, Richard, you have a great resume. Congratulations on all the hard work. Jealous of you, too.

My first novel is finished and I am hoping to get an agent soon, then try to be noticed by Cemetery Dance. It is being reviewed by Horror News Net as we speak.
    Last edited by Draven Ames; 06-14-2011 at 12:36 AM.

Grim Reaping and more

Well last week I finished the first draft of Grim Reaping, which I started working on about 2 years ago. It is a comedy horror which at times gets a little far-fetched. As I worked on the first draft, I posted it on TomeCity.com, and the full story is still there with all its errors and continuity flaws. Once the revisions have been done I'll concentrate on the publishing side of things.

In the meantime, I'm now starting work on another idea that has been with me for a while that i found hard to categorise in one genre. Nights of The Fictional Dead is a dark real world fantasy detective thriller with humours and horrific overtones. Again I'm posting that as I go on Tome City.

I always have other bits hanging around on my board that I pick up from time to time, like my 120 Pieces of A Nightmare series of flash fictions, the various pieces that make up a long work called The Syndicate among others.

More than enough to be getting on with I think.
    Anthony Lund - Creator of Tales From The Back Side
    www.anthonylund.com
    www.talesfromthebackside.com

Oh, and if anybody's got a Kindle, I've got a dark novella on there called Red Rover (alas my agent doesn't do novellas, so I'm on my own with this one). Though its protagonists are animals, it gets quite dark and is NOT recommended for kids. Think Watership Down meets Chinatown. Here's the product description:

Bedtime Story Noir. A fable of murder, betrayal and insanity told from the perspective of two household pets, Red Rover follows Goldie the dog and Medusa the cat as they follow the trail of an infant kidnapped by one of their own. What begins as a tale of deduction becomes a story of survival as Goldie and Medusa flee from a criminally violent dog catcher while pursuing a suspect list of savage predators. Was it the schizophrenic Great Pyrenees? The imprisoned python? Or the hive-mind warren of laboratory rabbits known only as The Oracle? Seen through the eyes of two animals at odds with both each other and the human world around them, Red Rover returns the reader to the darker corners of childhood, where anything is possible, and all creatures great and small pursue an agenda of good. . .or evil.

You can read the first half on my website here: http://www.nikhouser.com/Red_Rover_Part_I.html

Or pick it up for 2.99 on the Kindle here: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Rover-eboo...6008790&sr=8-1

Thanks Nik. In the current form of TT, I offered the 1st chapter of the sequel for a sneak peak. I am very excited about the project, but also anxious to move on to the next.

C.W. That is Awesome! Some great names. I wish I would have seen that. i love the charitable books.

Quote Originally Posted by ozmosis7 View Post
    Thanks Nik. In the current form of TT, I offered the 1st chapter of the sequel for a sneak peak. I am very excited about the project, but also anxious to move on to the next.

C.W. That is Awesome! Some great names. I wish I would have seen that. i love the charitable books.
    It's not done yet, but I don't know that it has been advertised-will check with Stan and see if the Flash Anthology they are accepting admissions for on the website is the same project-if so, there's still time! He requested a piece from me, so I don't know if it's open sub or not-will check!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Craig Wallwork's Avatar
    Nik, Weird Tales, is one of my many white whales. So cool you're in it.

For those who like Nick Cave, I wrote a story about a guy who was going through losing his wife and leans on an imaginary friend who turns out to be Nick Cave. Using the femur from Christ, Cave cuts a hole through this world into Saudade, a world within a world. Saudade, can be something small, like a memory of a happier time, one you know will never be again. Or it can be the deepening sense of longing that tears the soul apart. It is a place of great sadness, and from it, one can live eternally in a state of idle wistfulness: http://wrongtreereview.wordpress.com...raig-wallwork/

The story references a lot of Cave’s lectures, things he’s said in interviews and lyrics. It was published recently by The Wrong Tree Review.
    In the summer I will feature along side Craig Clevenger, Stephen Graham Jones, Brian Evenson, Craig Davidson and Vincent Louis Carrella in the anthology, Warmed and Bound.

Around the same time I’ll also have a zombie tale in May December anthology called Revenge of the Zombie Pussy Eaters.
    A story of cannibal cuisine called, Human Tenderloin, which will be published in the Fall, and a surreal little story about a bordello on Venice Beach which will be published in an anthology by Thunderdome.