Self-Promotion for Authors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spernst View Post
    I've seen some discussions about posting material "for free" via things like this contest. Can someone clarify the pros and cons of doing such? If you don't enter something, obviously you can't get anywhere...but once the contest is over, is your story now a "dead" story as far as other publishers are concerned since its already been posted for free here?
    Well, if it's a private forum, it's fine. If I don't make the finals, I plan on pulling my story ASAP as I'm still shopping it as we speak. I think it being up here for two weeks isn't that big a deal, as long as it is GONE by the time it gets accepted. I mean, sure, maybe you got 100 eyes on your story (which is actually pretty good) but I don't think that's considered "published" as long as you take it down.
    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
      Well, if it's a private forum, it's fine. If I don't make the finals, I plan on pulling my story ASAP as I'm still shopping it as we speak. I think it being up here for two weeks isn't that big a deal, as long as it is GONE by the time it gets accepted. I mean, sure, maybe you got 100 eyes on your story (which is actually pretty good) but I don't think that's considered "published" as long as you take it down.
      Even if you leave it up, I don't think it's considered published. I know us here at CD would never write off a good story just because it's been on a forum or something like that. As far as the stories go, we are going to leave the stories up for about a month or so, so those of you that wish to have feedback from the community can. After about a month though I will pull them off the public forums, and file them away. This way if we do decide to do something with the runners up later on, we have the stories as a reference point to then come back to authors and make an offer on them. No promises, but that's what the general plan is for after the contest is over.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Dan, it gives me a nerd boner just knowing CD will have a story of mine "filed away"

Comment

Dan, it gives me a nerd boner just knowing CD will have a story of mine "filed away"
          I just wish I had enough time in the day to get through them all before the first round ends. I've only gotten through two groups, and realized that I'm never going to be able to get through the rest in time. So I've switched to just reading the leaders in the hopes that I will have those all read by the time the last round starts.

Instagram

Comment

Haha! Gross....
            http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
              Haha! Gross....
              "networking" with me will lead you to many gross things, C.W. you've been warned lol.

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
                Haha! Gross....
                agreed......

Instagram

Comment

"networking" with me will lead you to many gross things, C.W. you've been warned lol.
                  Meh-I can take it!

Comment

good to hear...I'm working on a short I'm currently calling "Deuce Cakes" for the sharing your work section. mildly gross content...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                      I just wish I had enough time in the day to get through them all before the first round ends. I've only gotten through two groups, and realized that I'm never going to be able to get through the rest in time. So I've switched to just reading the leaders in the hopes that I will have those all read by the time the last round starts.
                      This month just gets better and better.
                      Last edited by Draven Ames; 06-14-2011, 07:42 AM.

Comment

So funny! ....and yet, so true!

Comment

good to hear...I'm working on a short I'm currently calling "Deuce Cakes" for the sharing your work section. mildly gross content...
                          I actually specialize in "extreme"

Comment

Just saw the cover of a new eBook anthology that i'm in, called Speedloader, from Spinetingler Magazine - it'll be out soon

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Just found out today that Dark Moon Digest is picking up stories of mine for 3 more issues Happy day.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
                                Just saw the cover of a new eBook anthology that i'm in, called Speedloader, from Spinetingler Magazine - it'll be out soon

Looks great. Fine cover art by Boden, and good to see you and Nik Korpon in the same edition. Wonderful writer.

Comment

Working...
                                X