Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rejection Blues

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Draven Ames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmosis7 View Post
    Here is a fun little trailer I made for it sometime back...

You did really good with your trailer. I need to learn how to make those. Sounds like so much fun.

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardThomas View Post
    I've had 43 rejections so far this year. 11 acceptances. That doesn't even include the agents or presses that I've shown Disintegration, my 2nd book, a neo-noir thriller. It's brutal out here, for sure.
    That is an incredible percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Draven Ames View Post
    You did really good with your trailer. I need to learn how to make those. Sounds like so much fun.
    Thanks! I have 20 years in the graphics industry to aid me, although a mac makes life very easy.

No wonder yours turned out so well. Are there free programs to create things like that? If so, which ones?

Hmm...I think a truncated version comes free with the mac, but ilife is only like $50 I think. They have templates they offer that you can build them from. As I get more into it, I am going to make my own templates though, more for fun than anything I guess. I just need to find the time to work on some music.

I wish I had fruityloops still. That music program is a lot of fun to create beats on. I could do something good with that. If I get it again, maybe we can trade some stuff.

Imovies is a strong program, although it crashes some. They now sell it for the iphone/itouch for like $4.99, but I am unsure of how well that works. Garageband comes with ilife, and it has a great new feature I have yet to try out where you can hook up your guitar and use built in effects. Iphoto is also key, but I think Idvd is falling out of the mix a little.

Senior Member Inmate RichardThomas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmosis7 View Post
    That is an incredible percentage.
    Thanks. Some of those were flash and micro-fiction, and a few approached me to contribute, but so far it's been a pretty good year. I'd feel a lot better if I was getting in CD, and Weird Tales, and Shroud but when those guys pass, all I can do is keep shopping.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication C.W. LaSart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardThomas View Post
    Thanks. Some of those were flash and micro-fiction, and a few approached me to contribute, but so far it's been a pretty good year. I'd feel a lot better if I was getting in CD, and Weird Tales, and Shroud but when those guys pass, all I can do is keep shopping.
    And keep submitting until they accept!

Quote Originally Posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
    For sure CW, for sure. My work floats around a lot, with my neo-noir anywhere from horror to fantasy to SF to crime, so I probably just need to write then a straight horror story.

So far, knocking on wood, I've been very lucky with submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
    Very good advice. I've got a story floating around like that.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Hooray! I had my first official rejection today. Since it's only the third thing I've ever submitted (including this contest) I'm 0 for 2. I'm actually not complaining and thought it was cool someone in the publishing biz read and replied to my submission.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Craig Wallwork's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by copefiend2 View Post
    Hooray! I had my first official rejection today.
    Copefiend, do you live in a parallel universe? If so, I would be so happy with my inbox right about now. (joking – here’s hoping your taste of rejection is limited and the scars left by the editors do not leave tissue damage and nightmares)

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Nik Houser's Avatar
    My philosophy on rejections is this, and it can be applied to a story or a novel: eventually, if you stick to it long enough, SOMEONE is going to say "yes, let's publish this." If you could look into the future, you could just see exactly how many rejections it'll take to get to that acceptance, be it 5 or 50 or 500. But you can't. So let's call that number "X." This means that every rejection you receive brings you ONE STEP CLOSER (or one rejection closer) to that acceptance! Now, this takes some serious faith in your work, and it doesn't always cheer me up when a rejection feels particularly depressing. But it can come in handy, for what it's worth.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed RJHubbard53's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Houser View Post
    . . .this takes some serious faith in your work. . .
    this is why I and so many others are so interested in this vote and feedback on our stories. I have no faith in my work. I have no idea if is workable or total dreck.
    It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Nice philosophy, Nik. Just sometimes the distance between each step can seem to stretch for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    this is why I and so many others are so interested in this vote and feedback on our stories. I have no faith in my work. I have no idea if is workable or total dreck.
    This is common, RJ. I think my work is terrible some days, and then others I'm really happy with it. But you shouldn't put all your faith in other people's opinions. Reading is very subjective. What one person dislikes, another loves. Knowing that before you dismantle the racking around your heart is the only real way not to get hurt. Self-belief has to be the anchor to all your work. You'll be cool.

great philosophy, nik - very similar to my own belief system, based on the philosopher Nietzsche who said "What does not kill me makes me stronger" - it's tough to get the rejections, but like sales, it's a numbers game - i mean, think about it, if a publication is a 1% acceptance rate, that means you have to beat out 99 stories out of every 100 - WOW - or say it's a 5% acceptance rate, that means out of every 20 submissions, you much be the best - you just have to put the right story in front of the right editor at the right time

rjhubbard53, i'm the same way - one day i'm a total hack and should quit, the next day i get an acceptance or invite to join an anthology or an award and i think, well, maybe i CAN write

i have a story called "Terrapin Station" that i liked a lot, but my professor at my MFA program told me was not thesis material, it was a vignette, and we should move on, he didn't want to see it again - so i started sending it out, and it got into Pear Noir! a nice little print journal with an acceptance rate of 5% i think - so i was happy - a couple months later they told me that they were nominating it for a Pushcart Prize - so, you never know - if YOU love a story, then run with it - you have to believe in your own work, or nobody else will

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed RJHubbard53's Avatar
    that's awesome, Richard! Thanks for that info. I know i'm a newb and i like what I write - i just dont know how it translates to others. I'm currently looking for writing groups for some peer review. ANy tips? Has to be online as I don't have time to go to a class or group - my 10 month old son requires too much attention
    It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .