No announcement yet.

Rejection Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OH MY GOD! Richard thank you for this!!!! This is an amazing list! I'm stupefied by how many markets you have. I'm gonna shop 'em all until somebody says yes. Thanks again for this gigantic post of markets to try. Whoa... do I feel like an amatuerish whiny-baby now! Awesome list, my brother! Thank you.

Comment

Yes, thanks very much for the list Richard. You must put in some heavy work towards subbing. I've never done SS at all. I wonder if I can muster up the energy to do such a thing LOL.
      Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Very helpful information, Richard. Great list and great stats--very encouraging and enlightening. Thank you.

I'll just add this to your discussion, seconding what Richard said. You all definitely should simultaneously submit (assuming the markets you're submitting to allow it). I've only had a few stories published, but I have a tale of two stories that proved it for me. I wrote a story in 2005 that every friend, colleague, or classmate whom I showed it to absolutely loved. I sent it out, got it rejected, and then promptly sent it out again. Doing it this way, one journal at a time, it took 5 years and about 15 rejections before it was finally accepted. I tweaked it from time to time, but it was basically the same story. I was happy because my persistence paid off. However, I wrote another story last year I thought was of the same quality. I didn't have the patience to wait 5 years for it to see print, so I started sending it out to multiple places. I made sure it was under consideration at 5 places at all times. It took about one year to get accepted. Both stories were rejected about the same number of times by literary journals, but one story took 5 years to get accepted and one story took only 1 year. It taught me a valuable lesson: simultaneously submit.

Now I do that with all my stories. My goal this year is to get 100 rejections. I don't even have a target of acceptances. It sounds crazy, but that's the way I've trained myself to think. When the rejections come back, I'm almost glad because that means I'm closer to my goal and I get to send out more stories. It's very heartening to see you, Richard, putting up big rejection numbers as well. You're absolutely right: There's no way to get one or two stories published without getting 5, 10, or 20 times (or more) that in rejections. At least when you're starting out.

Thanks for the great discussion.

Comment

glad to help guys, just do your research and make sure if you're doing dark fiction or horror you don't send your work to literary publications - Duotrope.com i keep saying it, only way to roll, let me know if you need help understanding the site, it's the only way i can submit and do research
          FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

yes, it seems simultaneous submit seems the way to go. As a newbie, I dont have a lot of material and sending it one-by-one and waiting for rejections or acceptance before resubmitting will definitely take a long time
            It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Bah, rejection after being shortlisted for a very long time. Time to rewrite and send it back out.

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                Bah, rejection after being shortlisted for a very long time. Time to rewrite and send it back out.
                Bummer, Ozmosis, but the fact that the editor held the story so long is a testament to its quality. Don't give up on it!
                http://www.valmuller.com

Comment

Yes, what she said. ^

Keep pushing through, Ken.

Comment

Not really a rejection, but my story from the CD contest was in the queue. Curious as to how things will shake out in the future for a great publication...

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/2011/0...-in-the-queue/

Comment

thanks for this, i had one in the queue too, sucks - not happy with the way things are changing over at WT
                      FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                        Not really a rejection, but my story from the CD contest was in the queue. Curious as to how things will shake out in the future for a great publication...

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/2011/0...-in-the-queue/
                        Bummer. Hope things get sorted out quickly after the changes.

Comment

I had one over there, too. Hope the new magazine works out...
                          http://www.valmuller.com

Comment

I was actually glad when I saw that message from Weird...They had a story from me which was not ready to be submitted. I was caught up in a submission frenzy and let myself get carried away. After I submitting the damn thing I did another re-read and wished I could do a rewind on the whole process.
                            Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I'm another writer with a story in the queue over at Weird Tales. So much for that. Though I seem to recall having found another "home" for that particular story. I was waiting to hear back from WT first. Well, time to reach out to the other publication now.
                              "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

Not really a rejection, but just received copies of an anthology I was supposed to be in. Turns out they missed me somehow!!! Felt like a kid on Christmas, who ripped open their presents only to find they were someone else's. Sigh!

Comment

Working...
                                X