Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rejection Blues

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar

Rejection Blues

Had a bummer of a rejection today. It's hard enough to find markets to submit short stories to, but when you get a rejection on a novel it is even harder to find rungs up the ladder that accept submissions without an agent.

Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement peteOcha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmosis7 View Post
    Had a bummer of a rejection today. It's hard enough to find markets to submit short stories to, but when you get a rejection on a novel it is even harder to find rungs up the ladder that accept submissions without an agent.
    Sorry to hear that. Did you at least get any feedback?

Nope. They don't offer it.

That's too bad. I know publishers are getting swamped by submissions but a least a few words explaining the reason for rejection would be nice. Or at least something along the lines of "Good characters, bad dialog. Work on descriptions" or whatever would be nice.

This publisher offered a window of time, and they have readers that go over your proposal even before it gets to them. So it could have even been an issue with my proposal for all I know. They did say up front they wouldn't offer any advice.

Oh well, it is an opportunity of sorts I guess. I can shop it around elsewhere or maybe even to an agent. You never know. Life is short, so no sense dwelling on the bad I guess. This was the first novel I wrote, so it is kind of my baby. And its kind of out there, lots of fun killing, but mostly taking place in the afterlife. I'm sure I'll find a home for it.

Here is a fun little trailer I made for it sometime back...

Nice trailer! Good luck finding a home for it. Don't give up and I'm sure someone will pick it up, or at least offer you advice that will help you out in improving your novel.

Thanks! Appreciate it. I have a couple interested, but I had higher hopes for this one if you know what I mean. I guess I am a bit attached to it after all the years I spent in its web LOL.

That's quite understandable, I mean after all, it is years of your work, it would be hard not to become attached to it.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly frik51's Avatar
    Very nice trailer indeed!
    My compliments.

sk

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    I'd like to read an excerpt from it after the contest is over and I'm done reading all the entries. Don't read to much into it though, publishing decisions are Brian and Rich's department, mine department is shipping your books and these forums.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Sure. It would be an honor. And no worries. Just let me know when.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Ken, I'm so sorry, it's the worst feeling. Do you have plans to write another one?

Thanks all. Appreciate it. I have actually already started the next one (and another as well...they are Construct and Shadows of the Storm on website LOL). I'm about a 1/4 into Shadows.

This one is based on a house I lived in as a child, which I do believe was fully haunted. But it then goes into a sort of fantasy/horror mixed genre type thing. I just have to finish editing on the two that have already been accepted by PMP before I can get into it.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Nik Houser's Avatar
    I'm sorry man, that's a big bummer. But something will shake out. Just keep building the creds by publishing short stories. They say nothing succeeds like success. Allow me to demonstrate...

I submitted a novelette to a website several years back who sent back a kind rejection saying that while they liked it, it wasn't quite what they were looking for. Later on my story found a home in print. Six months later, I got an email saying the editor who'd initially rejected me wanted it for Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 2007. Now, was the editor right to reject it the first time? Absolutely! It wasn't what they were looking for at the website, but later on, they saw it had been picked up and found that they still liked it, and that it would make a much better fit with the broad spectrum of stories in YBFH. The point is, you never know where the success will come. It's like waiting for lightning to strike. You just have to keep sticking your rod in the air and hope for the best. Heh-heh. Rod in the air. Sorry, couldn't resist. None-the-less, onward and upward, Sir!

Great attitude Nik. I like that story a lot.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Nik Houser's Avatar
    Thanks, man. Publishing is weird. I should also mention that I parted ways with my first agent, who repped a novel of mine that was serious "literature" when I decided to focus on genre fiction. The first story I wrote, which I wrote just for me after a long struggle of trying to please the former agent, was the one that got picked up for YBFH.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Craig Wallwork's Avatar
    Ken, cool trailer. Enjoyed it. Sorry to hear about the rejection, though. I've spoken in great depth about rejections in other writer forums, and there's no real way of dealing with them. Some days it is easy, and some days they hit you so hard it's hard to get back on your feet again. But we do, don't we? those that are here, and those that I know, are still standing because we believe in our work. Keep positive, ken. if the book is as powerful as the trailer, then I'm sure it won't be long before it's picked up. Good luck.

Thanks, Craig! I'm very hopeful for it, so we shall see.

Senior Member Inmate RichardThomas's Avatar
    I've had 43 rejections so far this year. 11 acceptances. That doesn't even include the agents or presses that I've shown Disintegration, my 2nd book, a neo-noir thriller. It's brutal out here, for sure.