No announcement yet.

A question for the "real" authors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, Craig. In hindsight, my initial words were much too harsh--and thus it is not the kiss of death. I have heard it called that though, and that is why the words came to mind.
    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

I've heard it mentioned here that if a story is posted in a public setting, it is not marketable. Why is that? Also, if one were to have a blog and post their short stories, is that considered self-publication? Is that story then not-marketable to plublishers?
      It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
        I've heard it mentioned here that if a story is posted in a public setting, it is not marketable. Why is that?
        Most publishers ask for 1st rights, and if the story has been posted somewhere, than it has already used its first rights. However, it can always be pulled down or altered, etc to make it marketable. And the publisher would have to see or hear about it to know. I just wouldn't leave something up in plain view if you are going to try and sell it

Also, if one were to have a blog and post their short stories, is that considered self-publication? Is that story then not-marketable to plublishers?
        Many authors write serial novels or the like to draw fans to their websites. I am currently trying this myself for the 2nd time. Once you are done, typically the story is pulled down, and it is treated like a rough draft. So you basically are reworking the story for the purpose of selling it, but usually you divulge that information to the publishers.

Comment

I've heard it mentioned here that if a story is posted in a public setting, it is not marketable. Why is that? Also, if one were to have a blog and post their short stories, is that considered self-publication? Is that story then not-marketable to plublishers?
          I think we talked about that earlier, but yes, if you have a story "out there" in any form, it can be considered "published" even if it's your blog. Depends on a publisher. Why would an online site want to run your story if it's available easily and for FREE elsewhere? If you have a story that you want to shop/sell then don't put it on your blog or anywhere else. Pull it at once. Editors DO Google your name and story. If you pull it, sure, you can shop it. If it's in a PRIVATE forum that is not available to the public, you can sell it. I even did a Google search on my own story here at CD in the contest and nothing came up on the first few pages. I'm shopping that story. And if I don't make the finals, and/or don't make the final three I'll pull it at once, since I'm shopping it as we speak. Hope that helps, RJ.
          FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

thanks, Richard. Here's another question regarding submissions. Many do not accept simultaneous submissions which means you can only "shop" your story to one place at a time, right? Upon rejection, that story is free to submit to others, right? If I am right on this, it means you have to have many manuscripts and stories ready to go. Do you find yourself writing for a specific market or writing a piece and finding a market?

Comment

thanks, Richard. Here's another question regarding submissions. Many do not accept simultaneous submissions which means you can only "shop" your story to one place at a time, right? Upon rejection, that story is free to submit to others, right? If I am right on this, it means you have to have many manuscripts and stories ready to go. Do you find yourself writing for a specific market or writing a piece and finding a market?
              i just posted up about this in another thread - SS are tough, unless they have a fast response time, i tend to ignore them, especially if the market is <1% acceptance rates, as the odds are just so against you - yes, upon rejection you can keep submitting, and i often have several stories out to anywhere from 5-15 markets all at the same time - that's why i use duotrope.com to keep track of it all, i'd lose my mind if i didn't - sometimes i write towards a specific market, but most of the time, say 75% of the time, i just write what excites me and then look for a market when it's done

here is my column on simultaneous submissions:
              http://whatdoesnotkillme.com/2009/08/31/simultaneous/
              FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Richard pretty much covered it, RJ, but yeah, there is a tendency for people to ignore that rule and SS anyway. If you get accepted at two places, two places that you really wanted to get into, then ethically it's unfair that you went through the process, and frustrating for the editor you have to apologise to when you say, "Oh, did I submit to you? Sorry, it must have been my partner. They do that sometimes. I really need to change my email password. Sorry."

That said, I'd avoid submitting to them again for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Wallwork View Post
                  Richard pretty much covered it, RJ, but yeah, there is a tendency for people to ignore that rule and SS anyway. If you get accepted at two places, two places that you really wanted to get into, then ethically it's unfair that you went through the process, and frustrating for the editor you have to apologise to when you say, "Oh, did I submit to you? Sorry, it must have been my partner. They do that sometimes. I really need to change my email password. Sorry."

That said, I'd avoid submitting to them again for a while.
                  thanks, Craig. i think i'll take a more conservative approach and try to avoid pissing off any editors in my early days of submissions.

Comment

Writing: you do it because you need to. Even most authors have a real job.
                    ~^~You can't win if you don't play~^~

Comment

Write non-fiction and on contract to pay the bills. Write fiction as you can.

Gradually work to shift the balance.

Comment

I have a question now for the professionals. It has to do with copyright. Is it true that all one has to do is mail your manuscript to yourself and leave the envelope sealed and that work is protected under copyright law? I'm afraid I don't have a clue how to protect my ideas and stories from "rip-off". Quick story. In college. Assigned creative writing assignment. Wrote haunting ghost story with a twist (of Lime?). By college journey's end two years later, my story is included under professor's name (complete with character name changes and setting differences) in text book. Now I'm terrified to let go of stories ever since. How do we protect our ideas legally, folks? Some guidance please?

Comment

Now days, your stories, artwork, photos, etc are protected the second they are made by the digital millennium copyright act. Mailing it to yourself gives you just that same amount of protection, so it's kind of pointless. An actual copyright to a story can end up being costly, but if you can afford it, it is worthwhile.

I've read of an actual case of multiple plagiarism that has been going on for a while. I know a group is suing the guy, but haven't heard of the outcome yet. Last I saw he had taken and used more than a half-dozen or so pieces from other writers and used them as his own.

Having that actual copyright will make it easier in court if such a thing happens to you, but the DMCA seems to do the trick well enough as long as you can prove the piece is yours. That isn't hard to do with most writers or artists as we become crazy about backing things up. If you don't, I would work out a system where you back things up to CDs or DVDs that you store in a fire safe. This is the same thing as mailing your story back to yourself. It has a time stamp, and that is the key.

Hope this was helpful.

Comment

Hey thanks Ozmo! So all these writable CDs when downloaded become time/date stamped automatically by the internal workings of my computer or do I have to apply a time/date myself?

Comment

Every time you write anything in word or any other program it gets a time date stamp. When you save it to a disk it gets another. So a history of these is what protects you. So the old rule is save often, backup frequently.

Comment

Oh and I thought the old adage was, Save backup and often frequently. I had it all wrong. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X