Interesting article on the lasting legacy of Kubrick's The Shining:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Much of his work holds no interest for me (2001, Dr. Strangelove, Clockwork Orange.) The movies I like (The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut) still have some strangeness that just does not work for me.
    I like FULL METAL JACKET, but it is a weird-ass movie. Again, ice-cold and detached, and extremely disturbing, plus it looks like it was made by a man who had no idea what Viet Nam actually looked like. But that's what you get when you try to pass the British countryside off as Saigon.
    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I adore Kubrick. He's my second favorite director behind Hitchcock. The only film of his I did not care for was Full Metal Jacket. All the others, I've seen multiple times and I am one of those weird people that have watched The Shining dozens of times to try and figure it out. I could go into a long discussion about how extremely weird it is and how it "changes" or rather "falls apart" more and more each time I watch it but in a really cool way. I can understand how audiences back in the day that only saw it once in the theater were left with a "Huh?" feeling but the joy is in multiple viewings. I see something or think of some new theory every time I've watched it.

And not for nothing but it has one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. Just listening to it without watching it can be a scary experience. Enough rambling for now, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
        I adore Kubrick. He's my second favorite director behind Hitchcock. The only film of his I did not care for was Full Metal Jacket. All the others, I've seen multiple times and I am one of those weird people that have watched The Shining dozens of times to try and figure it out. I could go into a long discussion about how extremely weird it is and how it "changes" or rather "falls apart" more and more each time I watch it but in a really cool way. I can understand how audiences back in the day that only saw it once in the theater were left with a "Huh?" feeling but the joy is in multiple viewings. I see something or think of some new theory every time I've watched it.

And not for nothing but it has one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. Just listening to it without watching it can be a scary experience. Enough rambling for now, sorry.
        You're not rambling at all...I'd love to hear more about how you feel the movie changes or falls apart upon repeated viewings.
        http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
          You're not rambling at all...I'd love to hear more about how you feel the movie changes or falls apart upon repeated viewings.
          OK, I will post more about that later this week, Off today and going to try and enjoy it while it lasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
            OK, I will post more about that later this week, Off today and going to try and enjoy it while it lasts!
            Promise I haven't forgotten about this but life is suddenly in the way. Also, it really is hard trying to organize my thoughts about something I love so much and have viewed so many times....

Comment

Two years plus and I am still thinking. HA!

Comment

Working...
              X