No announcement yet.

Best Dark Tower book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm standing here all alone on my Island of the Drawing of the Three, but that's ok.

Glad to see some love for Song of Susannah!
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I absolutely love The Drawing of the Three. It's one of my favorites of the series.
      Song of Susannah on the other hand is the one I like the least.

1. Wizard and Glass
      2. The Waste lands
      3. The Drawing of the Three
      4. The Gunslinger
      5. Wolves of the Calla
      6. The Dark Tower
      7. Song of Susannah

sk

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
        I'm standing here all alone on my Island of the Drawing of the Three, but that's ok.
        You are not alone on that island any longer! Now there are three of us there!
        "I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later."- Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by lilbirdy View Post
          you are not alone on that island any longer! Now there are three of us there!
          LET'S PAR-TAY!!!
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Drawing of the Three was fantastic! I really enjoyed the ending of waste lands (glad I had the fourth book waiting on the shelf, otherwise I might have been a little upset). They are all so good, IMO, that it is just so hard for me to pick one. This poll needs an eight option, All of the above!

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
              This poll needs an eight option, All of the above!
              I strongly disagree.
              The first four books were amazingly good, and only became better with each new addition to the series.
              Starting with Wolves of the Calla, things went downhill rapidly.
              Especially book VII, The Dark Tower, is such a disappointment.
              Instead of giving the grand finale the attention it deserved, King rushed towards the finish.
              It could, and should have been so much better.

sk

Comment

My favorite, by far, is Wizard and Glass. I've always loved coming of age stories, and King does them especially well (It and The Body). I enjoyed getting the back story and seeing the world before it "moved on", but the story of Roland and Susan is what truly captured me. And I also liked how he pulled The Stand into the great weaving of the King Universe.

I guess my ranking would be 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 7, 6.
                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I enjoy THE GUNSLINGER very much. To me it reads more like an epic poem than a novel.

Comment

Originally posted by jester05jk View Post
                    I've only read the first 2 so I can't vote yet either. I plan on reading 3 and 4 before the new one comes out so I can read that before 5.
                    LOL I've had these books ever since they were published in various formats, but like I said, I've never read them. I think maybe it's a lil past due I start to. I'm trying to decide by all of these posts where to start. Perhaps number one might be a good choice

Comment

I'm going with "The Drawing of The Three". I like the Multiple Entendre of The Title-Given Patrick's (at Dandelo's) later involvement-I feel the pulling together of The Ka Tet, and the introduction to doorways is critical to the Character ,complexity- and giving in fighting tooth and nail to Ka (or Destiny). It also starts to slowly introduce us to the structure of Time/Space in Mid World,End World,The Wheel of Ka. It made me want to go on.- P,S. Has anyone done a Body Count of how many humans,low men,Sombra,Creatures,Lobsrosities, Slow mutants,little sisters etc were taken out by The Lead (metal) of The Ka Tet. I'll check Robin Furth,by the way she is going to need an addendum with The Wind Through the Keyhole DT 4.5 coming soon. I might do a tally this summer .I'll wager it is close to 3,000.Beambounder

Comment

To date I have only read the first 5 books and that was a number of years back now. Currently at the start of the series and will vote once all are read.
                        From the last reading "The Gunslinger" sits as the pick from the first five.

Comment

I find it hilarious that for years, people didn't know if King would EVER finish the series (having read the first one when there were only four books, I forced myself to wait, so that I wouldn't become addicted to the series, then disappointed if he didn't finish), he's now not only finished them, but is giving us all this extra stuff in the form of the graphic novels and an entire 8th book! That's just awesome.
                          www.nikhouser.com

Comment

But why is King writing a new one when he has said repeadetely the Dark Tower series is over?? That's why I was so surprised to receive an email from Grant and that King was writing another installment and I'd get first crack at it. Since I have LSOE number 544, I guess I'll get the same number. And there's only 800 being signed? I now have several King limiteds that had only about a 750-800 print run. I should probably be selling them? I was told the price for the limited of LSOE skyrocketed when the news came out King was writing another Dark Tower book, but I couldn't bring myself to sell it. I was offered $725 for it and stupidly, didn't except it. But boy, Grant makes some incredible limited editions. I still think Desperation was one of their best looking.

Comment

King has written a new DT book becuase he simply can't let go. The DT universe, and characters, are so much part of him, I'm sure there will always be new stories to tell. Hopefully, there will be more.

And no, of course you should not be selling your King limiteds.
                              Unless the reason you got them in the first place was to sell to make a profit?

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                                King has written a new DT book becuase he simply can't let go. The DT universe, and characters, are so much part of him, I'm sure there will always be new stories to tell. Hopefully, there will be more.

And no, of course you should not be selling your King limiteds.
                                Unless the reason you got them in the first place was to sell to make a profit?

sk
                                Yeah, actually making a profit was part of it. I just got lucky a long time ago winning the little lottery they had for Desperation and then somehow being able to get them here as well...CD (I can't even remember how). But it's so hard for me to actually sell them. I'm not getting any younger lol, so maybe if I live another 30 years and the world is still around I'll sell them then. Several are still in shrinkwrap including LSOU.

Comment

Working...
                                X