Best Dark Tower book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
    Several are still in shrinkwrap including LSOU.
    Did you know that's illegal in our country???
    And rightly so!

Just kidding.

But it should be!!

Not kidding.

sk
    Last edited by frik51; 06-19-2011, 07:44 PM.

Comment

lol. Wow! I didn't notice this until now...you're from The Netherlands? Your English is amazing! You sound just like another American guy talking about Stephen King.

Comment

Thanks.
        Well....I lived in Canada for eleven years.
        I think that did improve my English considerably.

sk

Comment

My vote went to The Drawing of the Three. I've read it at least six times and it gets better with each repetition. Song of Susannah comes in a close second. That one left me breathless and so very eager to read The Dark Tower. But getting back to Drawing, not only is it representative of King's classic style, but it moved the story into such a cool setting: our where and when. And I've always enjoyed journey stories where the main character joins up with others along the way: desparate origins and short-term goals coming together to accomplish something with far reaching implications. Drawing certainly brought the series in that direction and filled my reader's expectations with the promise of even greater things to come.
          "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

W & G, what a great novel ... for me it has everything

Comment

My words exactly!

sk

Comment

I read the first 1. it was hard to read but I'll read some more

someone gave away the ending, which sucks.

Comment

You have to remember that books aren't really about the ending, they are all about the journey of how the story gets there. The Gunslinger was the 1st Stephen King book i ever read and i have to admit that i found it tough going and it too me a few tries at starting it, but when i was in i was hooked

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
                    You have to remember that books aren't really about the ending, they are all about the journey of how the story gets there. The Gunslinger was the 1st Stephen King book i ever read and i have to admit that i found it tough going and it too me a few tries at starting it, but when i was in i was hooked
                    i agree, i had a hard time with The Gunslinger the first time, but as i go back and re-read it, i love it, and the whole series was just an epic journey
                    FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Apparently many people have a hard time with The Gunslinger.
                      Unfortunately, this seems to be enough reason to quit reading this amazing series.
                      Don't! If you like King -and even if you don't- it's an absolute must-read series, containing of the best, most fancyful fantasy ever written.

sk

Comment

I was fine with the Gunslinger, even read his changed version that came with Little Sisters, but the Drawing of the Three was a little tough for me at times.

Comment

Yes same with me, some of it was just over described and i was even tempted to skim read parts!

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                            My favorite, by far, is Wizard and Glass. I've always loved coming of age stories, and King does them especially well (It and The Body). I enjoyed getting the back story and seeing the world before it "moved on", but the story of Roland and Susan is what truly captured me.
                            Ditto this, X 10. So of course my vote went for Wizard and Glass. I loved learing more about Cuthbert and Alain and the story of Roland and Susan. Such a great story. Second place would be The Wastelands. Not sure how the others would sort out other than Song of Susannah being last. I didn't like the character of Susannah (or Detta, or Odetta, or Mia, or whoever else King tried to cram into one person--bleah) at all. And unlike some others here, I loved the ending, which saved The Dark Tower (book VII) which had gotten seriously off track with Mordred and Dandelo and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                              Apparently many people have a hard time with The Gunslinger.
                              Unfortunately, this seems to be enough reason to quit reading this amazing series.
                              Don't! If you like King -and even if you don't- it's an absolute must-read series, containing of the best, most fancyful fantasy ever written.

sk
                              I'll give the other books a chance.

Comment

Yes -by all means, do!
                                I don't think you'll regret this.

sk

Comment

Working...
                                X