Best Dark Tower book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Dark Tower book

For now, King is done with The Dark Tower. Coming up, next year, the eighth book in this series, The Wind Through the Keyhole.
    But, of the seven books so far, which is your favorite, and why?

sk
    The Gunslinger
    11.11%
    The Drawing of the Three
    35.56%
    The Waste Lands
    11.11%
    Wizard and Glass
    37.78%
    Wolves of the Calla
    0.00%
    Song of Susannah
    4.44%
    The Dark Tower
    0.00%

Gunslinger...hands down.
    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Hey, it worked.
      Posting a poll, I mean.

I voted for Wizard and Glass.
      I've always loved this book, as it's a perfect combination of thrilling action and great romance.
      King has seldom been better.

sk

Comment

very tough call between The Gunslinger and Wizard & Glass, but I lean WAG just a bit.
        FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

I read The Drawing of the Three on a bus trip from Hays KS to Yakima, WA in '89; When it ended, the trip wasn't over and since I wanted more, I reread it. I was astounded by the book; I had never read anything like it and had not expected it from King. Today, it still blows me away.

The 5 Gunslinger stories were enjoyable and I had waited to see where it was going and I wasn't disappointed. Sadly, after a teriffic start, The Wastelands became boring, Wizard and Glass made me realize that the DT was becoming a conventional fantasy (the idea of worlds an author has created coinjoing is not original--Michael Moorcock has been doing that since the 60s). The Wolves of the Calla made me think that King was running out of ideas (the whole thing seemed pointless) and that Father Callahan wasn't happy about being ressurected; I liked Song of Susannah--it had a republic serial cliffhanger feel to it; The Dark Tower I enjoyed except for the ending.

Ranking them: 2,1,6,7,4,3,5. :

Looking forward to book 8!
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I'm really looking forward to book 8, be great to see these guys again. I mean, how long did that series span, like 15, 20 years?

Comment

I'm surprised Waste Lands isn't getting more votes. Gunslinger's my favorite, but for my money, Wastelands is thoroughly well-imagined, intense, and better-conceived as a full-bodied novel (with the exception of the cliff-hanger ending). Story-wise, the first one's a collection of episodes (originally published thus, obviously), the second is a fill-in so he can get the crew together, Wizard and Glass is back story that I never found particularly compelling, Wolves of the Calla is pretty well-constructed, and Song of Susanna is another fill-in so we can get to the rushed climax in book 7. Don't get me wrong, they're all HUGE FUN, well-written, and brilliant in their own ways and I love them, and books 3 and 5 certainly have their own weak points, but although Gunslinger is my overall favorite, I think Wastelands and Wolves of the Calla are the best-constructed, story-wise. Also, I love Little Sisters of Eluria. I'd love to see a book of short stories chronicling Roland's early journey. The Marvel graphic novels are fun, but can't make King's prose.

And yeah, can't wait for book 8.
              www.nikhouser.com

Comment

I remember the Wastelands being good. But then I think of the Wolves of Calla and that sounds great too. Of course, it's been YEARS since I've read these.

Comment

It was a toss up between The Wastelands and Song of Susannah. I eventually decided on the latter because it contained more numerous examples of the supernatural and the bizarre, and it was a book in which a great deal of the Dark Tower Mythos was explained and explored.

Wizard and Glass, however, would rank as the worst.
                  "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn!"

Comment

I voted for Wizard and Glass, the backstory worked for me. As I thought over which to pick most of my favorite moments from the series tend to be the stories of Roland's past. I thought The Little Sisters of Eluria was excellent as well and that is another story told from Roland's past.

Comment

I still haven't read any of these books believe it or not, so I can't vote lol.

Comment

While it was close between The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three, I went with The Gunslinger. I enjoyed the episodic nature of the story as well as the sense that this was just a very brief glimpse of something much much bigger. And the opening line...

Comment

I voted for Wizard & Glass. I really enjoyed the back story and the bits of progress made in the "current" story.

Comment

I voted Wizard and Glass, but Drawing of the Three would really be a tie or a very close second for me.

Comment

I've only read the first 2 so I can't vote yet either. I plan on reading 3 and 4 before the new one comes out so I can read that before 5.

Comment

Working...
                              X