Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrie published 47 years ago today:

Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar

Carrie published 47 years ago today:

April 5th 1973 saw the release of Stephen Kings first novel. I was only 10 at the time but Kings writing has impacted my life in a great many ways. Here is to many more books!

Bela Lugosi's dead... Hearing Voices
    I was still reading The Hardy Boys and Enid Blyton books in 1973. I didn't discover SK until 1979.

Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    I honestly am not able to recall when I first read King or what the title was. I know I would have either picked it up at the library or an old paperback from a used bookstore, most likely in the early eighties. I do remember that I started buying 1st edition hardbound copies as they were released in 1990 with Four Past Midnight, by then I had read a lot of his work. At this point I have only two I have still never read. The Wind Through the Keyhole and Black House.

I remember it well. I was 14 and home from school with the flu. My mom was going to the library, and I asked her to pick up some books for me. She came home with 'Salem's Lot and The Stand.

I'd never heard of this Stephen King guy, but I read those books in two days. I can't remember which one I read first, but I'd guess 'Salem's Lot, just because it's the shorter of the two.
    Last edited by Dave1442397; 04-08-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Distant Barony of Mejis Inmate Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Carrie.jpg

I can't remember the first Stephen King book I read either. I do know that the first book of his that I bought new when it first came out was Cycle of the Werewolf. I bought the hardcover because I was/am a huge Bernie Wrightson fan. I guess that would have been 1983? The next King book that I bought new was It. After that I bought each of his novels as they were released.

I guess the typo on that press release was a promise of things to come. They meant $400,000, not $4,000,000.

Distant Barony of Mejis Inmate Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    I guess the typo on that press release was a promise of things to come. They meant $400,000, not $4,000,000.
    I must confess that I wasn't sure if they meant $4000.00 or $400,000.

Slightly off Kilter 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    My first and favorite Stephen King book is Salem's Lot. I read it when it first came out in paperback, back in those days I didn't have money for hardbacks and first editions. I have fond memories of Carrie, though I'm not a big fan of the back. I found a first edition of Carrie about 20 years ago. A short time later, I found myself in a bit of a financial twist and was able to sell it. Just as Carrie bailed Stephen King out, it bailed me out too. I made enough money to make a mortgage payment and take my wife out on a rare dinner date, that didn't feature buns and french fries LOL!! Better start saving men, those 50th anniversary editions are coming out soon HAHAH!!
    Last edited by mhatchett; 04-08-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    I know King has told the story about when he learned of the paperback sale of Carrie and he uses the $400,000 amount. That is a cool article though.

Shazam! Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I know King has told the story about when he learned of the paperback sale of Carrie and he uses the $400,000 amount. That is a cool article though.
    Yep, $400K... split between him and Doubleday, I believe. And if I recall correctly, he wanted to get Tabitha a surprise for when he told her the news... so he went to the corner pharmacy and bought her a new hairdryer.

Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Yep, $400K... split between him and Doubleday, I believe. And if I recall correctly, he wanted to get Tabitha a surprise for when he told her the news... so he went to the corner pharmacy and bought her a new hairdryer.

Brian
    That's the story I remember!

TPS Report Monitor 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Weird thing is that I love SK but Carrie and Dead Zone are not books I like.

I think my first book was either The Gunslinger or COTW. I don't remember which.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post

I think my first book was either The Gunslinger or COTW. I don't remember which.
    I like Carrie, but The Dead Zone has always been one of my favorites. I have to go back and read The Dark Tower series again one day.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post

It took me looking at my Stephen King books to realize what COTW was. I had completely forgotten about Cycle of the Werewolf. The only novel (of any authors) that I could think of with that acronym was Call of the Wild. And now I can't help but to imagine what a Stephen King version of Call of the Wild might be like...

I would Love to see a really first class edition of Cycle of the Werewolf. That whole book from beginning to end is intriguing. What started out as a calendar collaboration that fell through, turned into a neat novella.

Child of the Corn 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    I would Love to see a really first class edition of Cycle of the Werewolf. That whole book from beginning to end is intriguing. What started out as a calendar collaboration that fell through, turned into a neat novella.
    Brian, are you listening? Needing some LPP love for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Brian, are you listening? Needing some LPP love for this one.
    It could be our Easter Egg!!

Child of the Corn 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    It could be our Easter Egg!!
    Yes!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    I’d like to see a deluxe edition of FIRESTARTER that I can afford. :-/